Match report from the Rhyl website

RHYL 4

Toner 69', Beckett 73', Pritchard 90' & 90'

OLDHAM ATHLETIC 5

Triallist 30' & 53', Bembo-leta 39', Crompton 40', Kidd 85'

Rhyl can count themselves very unlucky not to have snatched a draw in this fantastic entertaining game at Belle Vue. 2-5 down going into injury time, they scored two more goals, causing a number of the Oldham players to lose their heads, resulting in referee Andy Harms inviting one of them to leave the field, rather than having to send him off for foul and abusive language, which continued as the lad trudged off the field.

Rhyl started brightly, but their plans were somewhat disrupted on five minutes, as player/ manager Greg Strong had to leave the field with a pull in his leg, to be replaced by Russell Courtney. Rhyl's new strike force of John Toner and Stewart Rudd, linked up well, setting up chances for each other, but it was Oldham who took the lead on 30 minutes. Oldham had three triallists, who's names were not released, in their squad, and one of them scored the opener. Then two goals in a minute just before the break , saw some Rhyl heads drop. Djerry Bembo-Leta made it 0-2 on 39 minutes, then 60 seconds later, Andrew Crompton added the third.

When the trialist scored his second and Oldham's 4th on 53 minutes, Rhyl looked dead and buried, but then the comeback began. On 69 minutes, the excellent Toner, who was voted Point FM's Man of the Match, scored. Four minutes later, Scott Beckett made it 2-4. The wind was taken out of Rhyl's sails however, when Oldham substitute Greg Kidd scored their 5th on 85 minutes, but then came the frantic five minutes of injury time, referee Harms added on. Mike Pritchard was blatantly pulled down in the area, much to the disgust of the Oldham players. Pritchard got up to score the penalty. All hell then broke lose as seconds later, Beckett scored his second, to reduce the defecit to one goal. The Oldham players surrounded the referee, resulting in the two goal triallist being invited to leave the field of play by Mr Harms, who handled the game very well throughout.

TEAM: ANTHONY COSTA, ANDY PEARSON, RHYS DARLINGTON (MIKE PRITCHARD), SHAUN DOWLING, GREG STRONG (RUSSELL COURTNEY), JOHN LEAH, CHRIS WILLIAMS (NICOLAS LE RUOCO), SCOTT BECKETT, STEWART RUDD, JOHN TONER, LEE JONES (PASQUALE POLISTINA).

ATTENDANCE: 337.

Team for last night against Rhyl was:

GK Fleming (ankle injury – replaced by Ollerenshaw)

RB Trialist (tall black lad - switched to centre midfield second half then substituted later on)

CB Fodor (Captain)

CB McDonald

LB Holdsworth

RW Millar

MF Compton (Connor Hughes came on and went to RB)

MF Worthington

LW Purdie – withdrawn half time (think McGrath came on for him)

SS Bembo-Leta (Kidd – went on the wing and Miller became second striker)

CF Trialist (mouthy lad looked like Francis Jeffers but I’m sure it wasn’t him - ref “asked him to leave” near the end during some shenanigans after we conceded a late penalty but we didn’t have any subs left)

Subs were coming thick and fast half way through the second half so might not be spot-on.

Team for last night against Rhyl was:

CF Trialist (mouthy lad looked like Francis Jeffers but I’m sure it wasn’t him - ref “asked him to leave” near the end during some shenanigans after we conceded a late penalty but we didn’t have any subs left)

please dont do this to me

Right back wasn’t Kompany, but whoever he was, scored a cracking goal and looked promising at right back rather than in centre midfield.

Yes, it was Andy Holdsworth at left back, playing a full 90 minutes.

Worthington exchanged some handbags in injury time after a number of his customary 'solid' tackles.

Thought Kirk Millar played well.

is that andy holdsworth playing at left back?

No idea, but based on last years showings I'd be tempted to reluctantly shift Kieron Lee over to left-back and bring Holdsworth in as right-back. Wouldn't be ideal uprooting Lee but I don't trust Black yet (though I like him and feel confident he can improve) while Jacobson is plain crap.

hope it isnt jeffers, that guys career has gone downhill and is going down at a rapid pace,

is that andy holdsworth playing at left back?

Right, confused a bit now – on our fishul site it lists Andrew Crompton as having scored 2 goals, DBL 1, trialist RB 1 and Connor Hughes 1.

This is Crompton (1st photo down); is he the ‘Frannie Jeffers’ look-a-like that has a potty mouth; because he’s one of ours; not a trialist in that case:

http://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/page/NewsU...1648771,00.html

Right, confused a bit now – on our fishul site it lists Andrew Crompton as having scored 2 goals, DBL 1, trialist RB 1 and Connor Hughes 1.

This is Crompton (1st photo down); is he the ‘Frannie Jeffers’ look-a-like that has a potty mouth; because he’s one of ours; not a trialist in that case:

http://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/page/NewsU...1648771,00.html

Yes that's Potty mouth, the other trialist must have been the midfielder then. . . . apologies for the confusion.

Because it's obvious someone who's not played in over 12 months is not going to be match fit?

Indeed – slowly slowly catchy monkey and all that.

After 12 months + out of the game he was never going to get 90mins in; it’s surely a case of mini cameo’s for a good while as he steadily gets back? I’d expect RP to be playing no more than 1 half of football for at least the next month; slowly building up to 60mins and then gradually getting up to 90mins; which i’d guesstimate he’ll be at end of September time??

Once he’s proved he’s upto a full game of football; i’d expect him to out on loan pretty quickly......