Club versus Country? A study into football fan loyalty

Hi everyone,

Apologies for clogging up the board, but I am hoping you can help.

I am conducting an academic study into football fan loyalty, in particular looking at loyalties towards both club and national football teams. I am also investigating the role of national identity in this process and have developed a survey (see the below link) to address these issues.

In order to gain a representative sample, four teams have been randomly selected from each of the major four divisions, and the Latics came out of the hat! I would therefore be hugely grateful if you could donate no more than 10 minutes of your time to completing the survey: it is simple to complete via drop down menus and tick boxes. In order to be eligible to take part you must:

• Be of English origin;

• Be at least 18 years of age.

No contact details will be collected and the survey is fully anonymous.

Many thanks for your time and I promise not to start any other threads to clog up your message board. The survey can be accessed at:

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/fanloyaltysurvey

Cheers,

David

(Darlo fan who was more pro-Penney than you lot!)

Hi everyone,

Apologies for clogging up the board, but I am hoping you can help.

I am conducting an academic study into football fan loyalty, in particular looking at loyalties towards both club and national football teams. I am also investigating the role of national identity in this process and have developed a survey (see the below link) to address these issues.

In order to gain a representative sample, four teams have been randomly selected from each of the major four divisions, and the Latics came out of the hat! I would therefore be hugely grateful if you could donate no more than 10 minutes of your time to completing the survey: it is simple to complete via drop down menus and tick boxes. In order to be eligible to take part you must:

• Be of English origin;

• Be at least 18 years of age.

No contact details will be collected and the survey is fully anonymous.

Many thanks for your time and I promise not to start any other threads to clog up your message board. The survey can be accessed at:

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/fanloyaltysurvey

Cheers,

David

(Darlo fan who was more pro-Penney than you lot!)

Done, but not sure where you get your comments about England being the most dominant country in Europe (politically, economically and sporting we are far from a leading nation) Some of your questions were a bit leading imo, but good luck with your thesis.

Easy.

Don't really understand how people can feel stronger towards their country that they watch a few times a season on tele than a club they watch every week.

Agree completely. Even from being a young kid I always said I'd rather see Oldham win than England and its still true.

Done, but not sure where you get your comments about England being the most dominant country in Europe (politically, economically and sporting we are far from a leading nation) Some of your questions were a bit leading imo, but good luck with your thesis.

We might not be leading on any of those things but put them all together and we probably do come out on top. I'm not sure I'd describe us as the most dominant but we certainly carry a lot of political clout and influence worldwide.

And thinking about it from a sporting view, how many other European teams have decent Rugby, Cricket AND Football* teams, not to mention racing drivers, tennis players** and golfers?

*I'm using the term "decent" loosely with regards to the football!

**I'm classing Andy Murray as English!

Edited by bossrocks

We might not be leading on any of those things but put them all together and we probably do come out on top. I'm not sure I'd describe us as the most dominant but we certainly carry a lot of political clout and influence worldwide.

And thinking about it from a sporting view, how many other European teams have decent Rugby, Cricket AND Football* teams, not to mention racing drivers, tennis players** and golfers?

Agreed. English sport, with the blatant exception of football, is very much something to be proud of.

Not sure about tennis players mind, but then that is a girl's game so who gives a :censored:?

please never say that again

Well you could say England is one of the leading countries.. Isn't our monarch head of the commonwealth nations, which in 2005 had roughly 1,921,974,000 under its control.. which has since increased probably, so technically our monarch is one of the most powerful people in the world..? :grin::blush:

Please can nobody correct me if am wrong.. :blush: