Major Richard Winters

jsslatic

Has died aged 92.

RIP.

"From this day to the ending of the world... we in it shall be remembered. We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today shed his blood with me shall be my brother"

An amazing man and an amazing leader. Lets hope that they finally succeed in their campaign to get him awarded the Medal of Honor for his role at Brecourt Manor on D-Day.

RIP

"From this day to the ending of the world... we in it shall be remembered. We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today shed his blood with me shall be my brother"

An amazing man and an amazing leader. Lets hope that they finally succeed in their campaign to get him awarded the Medal of Honor for his role at Brecourt Manor on D-Day.RIP

And not forgetting his charge across that field in Holland either.......how he wasn't / hasn't be decorated higher than he was is beyond me.

With Carwood Lipton passing early last year; now Winters - there's not that many left from Easy Company now.......

RIP Sir

And not forgetting his charge across that field in Holland either.......how he wasn't / hasn't be decorated higher than he was is beyond me.

With Carwood Lipton passing early last year; now Winters - there's not that many left from Easy Company now.......

RIP Sir

I thought Lipton passed away not long after the making of Band of Brothers??

But yeah think its only Babe Heffron, Wild Bill Guarnere, Buck Compton and Don Malarkey who are left from the main featured characters.

In relation to his charge in Holland, I've always wondered how much of the actual event was historic, and how much of it was Hank's directors licence. Many of Easy Company's Veterans had some issues with the way a few of the events were portrayed, but there is no doubt that Winters led an extremely charmed life during the war. Think it was 'Popeye' Wynn who commented before the beginning of one of the episodes that he didnt know how Winters survived.

But to answer your question why he wasnt decorated higher than the Distinguished Service Cross for his actions is because the US Military's policy was not to award more than one Medal of Honor per division, which was given to Robert G. Cole, also of the 101st PIR. It was Ludicrous policy considering Winters achievements.

Edited by Killens_physio

I thought Lipton passed away not long after the making of Band of Brothers??

But yeah think its only Babe Heffron and Wild Bill Guarnere who are left from the main featured characters.

In relation to his charge in Holland, I've always wondered how much of the actual event was historic, and how much of it was Hank's directors licence. Many of Easy Company's Veterans had some issues with the way a few of the events were portrayed, but there is no doubt that Winters led an extremely charmed life during the war. Think it was 'Popeye' Wynn who commented before the beginning of one of the episodes that he didnt know how Winters survived.

But to answer your question why he wasnt decorated higher than the Distinguished Service Cross for his actions is because the US Military's policy was not to award more than one Medal of Honor per division, which was given to Robert G. Cole, also of the 101st PIR. It was Ludicrous policy considering Winters achievements.

Lipton was still going well after the show aired, went on DVD etc - weirdly my sister started swapping email with him after tracking him down on the net (My Granddad’s Tank Regiment fought along-side the Screaming Eagles in / at Market Garden & throughout Holland & then met them again in Berchtesgaden too [and at the PoW camps too, but he didn’t talk about that......] so my sister was looking for info!! He (Lipton) used to regularly swap emails with her!!)

Pretty sure Earl McClung is still going, so too Hashey, as is Tipper too.........but I'd need to check to fully be sure; but not many left know that’s for sure....

The Ambrose book on Easy's exploits lists the charge in Holland as pretty much how it was portrayed on the show, in that he (Winters) went 1st & in-front, and fired from the hip in an exposed position at the top of the Dyke before the rest of the platoon caught up with him..... the other members of Easy interviewed for that book tell it like that too - unbelievable how he wasn't hit doing that if it is indeed true.

Edited by slystallone