CARLISLE- THE REAL TEST OF SUPPORT

Now someone has paraphrased it....

All I was saying is that using money purely to donate to the club (as though it were a charity), for me, is a little short sighted. Using the money to subsidise the club and in return the club having a scheme encouragaing new / lapsed fans is not a bad thing. The outcome is still the same. The team gets a new player. The advantage is that if one of those fans comes back and buys a ticket the club is better off.

It's not asking the impossible. Nor the implausible. It's just asking for something back for the donation. Something that may improve the fan base and (dare I say it) increase the potential market for PlayerShare.

At the moment, PlayerShare is essentially price discrimination. It is a way of those who are willing to pay more for a match ticket to pay more and those who only wish to pay their £20 / season ticket price to only pay it. If the club came out with a sliding scale of prices dependent on how hardcore a fan you are (with the most hardcore paying the highest prices) people would be very p1ssed off and rightly so. The only difference with PlayerShare is that it is voluntary.

Your getting a player for the club in return, who may score a winning goal that can get us promoted, or can sell on in the future for a sum of money for the club, is that not a good enough return?

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Completely agree but buying the PA system, purchasing toilets isnt investment in the future. Investing in getting fans back is which is why your final point is so pertinent.

I don't understand why you would have to sell it any differently. It could be PlayerShare. It can be sold as PlayerShare. Donate £10 per week and you get a player (in this case Evina). This is precisely my point. The outcome from the punter is the same. Therefore, you can sell it the same. Just the means of getting that outcome is different. The relationship between the organisation "PlayerShare" and the club will be different. Not the relationship between the fans and PlayerShare.

Providing the amount of money being used to get the player was not eroded then I don't see why you would sell it any differently...

Fair enough, but doesn't this just then become a roundabout way of complaining about the club's appropriation of resources, rather than a complaint about the PlayerShare scheme? :unsure:

Filling empty seats with a marketing campagin aimed at low earners can be done for nearly free. "Hello poor people here's some free tickets". If they can then afford to pay full whack in future, great.

Asking me to fund a "Poor person fan subsidy share" fund doesn't quite grab my attention as much as PlayerShare. And if you're talking about subsidising 1,000 free tickets a game to the sum of £10 a time, you're going to quickly run out of cash.

May be I've got the wrong end of the stick as to what this "investemnt" alternative really is. PlayerShare does one thing. If the club wants to fill empty seats it can give them away to whoever it feels like in the hope that those fans will come back again and pay next time.

Doing both works for me.

Edited by opinions4u

Filling empty seats with a marketing campagin aimed at low earners can be done for nearly free. "Hello poor people here's some free tickets". If they can then afford to pay full whack in future, great.

Asking me to fund a "Poor person fan subsidy share" fund doesn't quite grab my attention as much as PlayerShare. And if you're talking about subsidising 1,000 free tickets a game to the sum of £10 a time, you're going to quickly run out of cash.

May be I've got the wrong end of the stick as to what this "investemnt" alternative really is. PlayerShare does one thing. If the club wants to fill empty seats it can give them away to whoever it feels like in the hope that those fans will come back again and pay next time.

Doing both works for me.

I agree, what's attractive about donating my money for them to come latics? Wait thought I was already doing that paying tax etc :blink:

I agree, what's attractive about donating my money for them to come latics? Wait thought I was already doing that paying tax etc :blink:

im one of 'them' at the minute as you put it rich boy

but i wont take donations off anybody so dont worry your little self

Edited by creepy

Your getting a player for the club in return, who may score a winning goal that can get us promoted, or can sell on in the future for a sum of money for the club, is that not a good enough return?

Or someone who walks away for free...

Maybe tickets for free isnt the answer. It's an example of an investment. An amount of money that can be used to pay for players providing the the club have mechanisms to bring people back and eventually fill this shortfall using ticket sales or other revenue channels rather than just subsidising with no long term view of how the gap will be filled

Or someone who walks away for free...

Maybe tickets for free isnt the answer. It's an example of an investment. An amount of money that can be used to pay for players providing the the club have mechanisms to bring people back and eventually fill this shortfall using ticket sales or other revenue channels rather than just subsidising with no long term view of how the gap will be filled

Evina who's wage is being paid by playershare is under 24.. so if we offer him a new contract with the same wage, or better and he rejects we are due compensation unless he does a porter.