Wales v England

Had a great day in Cardiff yesterday. The game was rather disappointing but I think that was more to do with the Welsh failing to turn up than anything else.

Here's the report from the trip. I hope you enjoy it.

Ernieflag report from Cardiff

I went to Cardiff for the FA Cup Final in 2004 and the New Wembley for a Play Off Final in 2008. Both are impressive but Cardiff's location means it wins hands down. I too encountered the 'wall of police' in 2004 when the team coaches arrived. The Welsh deserve massive praise for such a good set-up, park and ride flows easily, streets shut off so you can drink in the streets and I found it to be just one big party. Whereas at Wembley there's sod all to do really, except mill around or go in the ground and spend a fortune.

The biggest mistake the FA made was replacing Wembley, the games at OT and around the country were great occasions with a fantastic atmosphere. Now we're back to not selling Wembley out and enduring sterile, corporate atmospheres. Sadly, you won't get me rushing to watch England again.

I went to Cardiff for the FA Cup Final in 2004 and the New Wembley for a Play Off Final in 2008. Both are impressive but Cardiff's location means it wins hands down. I too encountered the 'wall of police' in 2004 when the team coaches arrived. The Welsh deserve massive praise for such a good set-up, park and ride flows easily, streets shut off so you can drink in the streets and I found it to be just one big party. Whereas at Wembley there's sod all to do really, except mill around or go in the ground and spend a fortune.

The biggest mistake the FA made was replacing Wembley, the games at OT and around the country were great occasions with a fantastic atmosphere. Now we're back to not selling Wembley out and enduring sterile, corporate atmospheres. Sadly, you won't get me rushing to watch England again.

Totally agree about the Millenium. A superb stadium in a wonderful position. As you say, they also have it very well organised.

I think you are being a bit harsh about Wembley though. Unfortunately, the national stadium was never going to be in the heart of London as it is in Cardiff. The Wembley experience is very much pub based. There are a fair few decent boozers within a ten minute walk of the stadium with the likes of the Green Man having huge beer gardens. There is also always plenty going on around Wembley Way. Transport links to the stadium aren't too bad either with three tube stations in walking distance. Admittedly, parking's a bit of a mare but you just need to be prepared to park out and tube it in.