Last 16 games

Oh, and paying the players on time and avoiding off field drama would also help.

And therein lies the biggest challenge. With no money in the kitty and a growing reputation to match, we'll struggle to hold on to any decent players and become resigned to fielding players unable to get a contract with any other club - quality drops and we get into a downward spiral. We will see virtually a new team at the start of every season and a new year influx of temporary loanees.

Any manager at OAFC will need an effective contacts network (I'm guessing that was one of PD's perceived strengths when he was offered the job - not sure that it has been as effective as was thought) and a massive slice of good fortune if things are to improve.

And therein lies the biggest challenge. With no money in the kitty and a growing reputation to match, we'll struggle to hold on to any decent players and become resigned to fielding players unable to get a contract with any other club - quality drops and we get into a downward spiral. We will see virtually a new team at the start of every season and a new year influx of temporary loanees.

Any manager at OAFC will need an effective contacts network (I'm guessing that was one of PD's perceived strengths when he was offered the job - not sure that it has been as effective as was thought) and a massive slice of good fortune if things are to improve.

So basically we will do a Stockport?

In reply to Mattsgrandad:

When was the last time we had loan deals from ”big” Premier League clubs from managers of OAFC?

Penney brought in players from fellow L1 clubs - Price, Goodwin, Guy et all

Shez managed Bertrand - but only due to Danny Philiskirks deal, the rest were from L1 or Championship.

Like it or not; the facts are there to see this season; PD has brought in players from Arsenal, Man Utd, Sunderland & Blackburn....and 1 from a Champ club in aidy white

For first time ever I actually agree with you . Keep this team together then we could be onto something here

get a bit of experience to add to the young squad we've got and hopefully we can have a decent season. with some older players, we might have been able to get out of the current run. someone mentioned gregan, but he had no preseason and would have been caught out by any striker who's faster than him, he went at the right time.

well he was at leeds and we got aidy white, and he got wenger, bruce and ferguson to trust him with his young players. pretty effective i would have thought

I agree a manager needs time to build a team, the trouble is PD will have to dismantle most of what he has been trying to create and start all over again.

Overall, the team has been far too lightweight this season and I think that's a lesson he will have learned for the future.

You are right we are far too lightweight. Because of the low budget DP spent it on average L2 players, which he new, and we got L2 football. The decent players were asked to play roles they didn't like and it showed eg. Taylor and Furman. PD has gone the other way and allowed flair players to play to their potential. Instead of average L2 players he has brought in young kids from the Prem. Who knows what would have happened if our season hadn't been ruined by the snow when our confidence was sky high. The momentum was totally lost and when things started to go wrong the kids started to doubt themselves. We need to push the boat out to keep MVoto, and I wouldn't mind keeping most of the rest if possible. They will have learned a lot and know what to expect next season. If we could add a couple of experienced 24 - 26 year olds we could put up a strong challenge.

well he was at leeds and we got aidy white, and he got wenger, bruce and ferguson to trust him with his young players. pretty effective i would have thought

and so would I .....if our playing record this year warranted it. The problem for PD is that too many loanees are inexperienced kids - the likes of Wenger, Bruce & Ferguson aren't stupid - they know that a spell in the lower divisions will either make or break the kids potential. The ones that succeed go back to their parent clubs (and usually progress via successive loans to clubs higher up the footballing hierarchy) and the ones that don't are released. We really need the right balance of youth and experience and unfortunately, that hasn't happenned for the Latics. PD may have the contacts but has he got the negotiating power (by which I mean funds & club reputation) to achieve that?