Ernieflag Relaunch

This coming weekend marks the 3rd anniversary of Ernies death and I am sure I speak for most on here when I say that my thoughts are with Louise, Isabella and his family at this time.

It is also nearly three years since we set up the Ernieflag website and had the flag itself made.

The intention was for us to only run with the website for 12 months but following the fantastic response that we got from Latics and other football fans alike, we are still going. The main thing that has kept our motivation up has been the publicity that we have been able to continue to generate for the fight against malignant melanoma.

Weve taken a bit of stick from a few people who think that we are wasting our time but considering that over 75% of clubs weve taken the flag to have run articles about our visit in their programme/website, I think we have been right to carry on. We never intended to raise any money directly, it was all about publicising skin cancer and, of course, keeping Ernies memory alive. If people have followed the links on the website and donated to charity, thats a bonus.

Its fair to say, however, that the website has gone rather stale in the last 12 months. We have had over 85,000 hits since inception but numbers have dwindled as weve put on less and less content due to fewer new grounds to visit. We still tend to get a good number of visitors when we do a new ground but between reports there has been little to log on for.

We considered calling it a day but based upon feedback, we instead opted to spruce the site up and increase the blogging content so as to try and keep it fresh. Many thanks to Mike for all the work that he has done on the new look site. I hope you will agree that it is a vast improvement. There is also added interactivity with the opportunity to leave comments on any article or blog. Please note that to prevent spamming, we will need to verify comments prior to them becoming visible on the site but if you log on through Twitter or Facebook, you can bypass this verification process.

Im delighted to say that for our relaunch, we have an article from Sarah Lomas who is quickly making a name for herself with her own blogging site under the name Girl on a Terrace. Feel free to check out her site HERE. Sarah has written a superb report on Ernies time at Rochdale and I have pulled together an updated article on malignant melanoma as we try to remember the core reasons for the site being set up in the first place.

If we are to keep the site fresh, it would be good to get some new contributors. Im sure you dont just want to keep reading my warped views on things. If anyone would be interested in providing blogs, please PM me on here or email us at ernieflag@gmail.com. The blogs can be on absolutely anything football related and you can do a one off blog or do a regular feature. All I would ask is that we try to keep the site reasonably family friendly. Blogs should be around the 500 - 1,000 word mark so they are not too demanding.

Many thanks to everyone who has supported the site so far and I look forward to hearing from anyone who wants to get involved moving forward.

Here's the new look site!

Edited by Latics & England

The revamp looks great.

Its my hubby's 40th next August and he has decided randomly, that he wants to hike up Ben Nevis on the day, ye gods he's trying to kill me....

Anyway, he has mentioned taking up the Ernie flag and getting a piccie at the top.

What do the trustees of the flag think and is it a goer?

Let me know - thanks

The revamp looks great.

Its my hubby's 40th next August and he has decided randomly, that he wants to hike up Ben Nevis on the day, ye gods he's trying to kill me....

Anyway, he has mentioned taking up the Ernie flag and getting a piccie at the top.

What do the trustees of the flag think and is it a goer?

Let me know - thanks

Thanks Underdog.

I can't see there being a problem if you want to take the flag up Ben Nevis. Just drop me a PM and we'll sort something out.

It likes its mountains...

n1613132698_250127_196399.jpg

Thanks Underdog.

I can't see there being a problem if you want to take the flag up Ben Nevis. Just drop me a PM and we'll sort something out.

It likes its mountains...

n1613132698_250127_196399.jpg

Thanks, I remember taking the piccie of it outside Wycombe's ground for Diego on a bloody freezing snowy afternoon two seasons ago...brrrrr..

It won't be until next August but I will be in touch, thanks again