Back from the game

Watched the game in the main stand opposite the away end. Very annoyed by that as we created enough chances to win the game in all but the 1st 20 mins which they dominated. Even more pissed off by the awful defending for the 2nd goal which gave us an unnecessarily hard task, furthermore it was a from a counter attack after we had started the 2nd half brightly. Exeter have got worse since I saw them at the start of the year and could be in trouble if things don't click for them, because they won't be as fortunate as they were today over the course of the season.

Players:

Cisak - did alright, can't be blamed for the 2 goals as he was left stranded by his backline.

Lee - solid as usual, dealt well with Nardiello.

Clarke - he was caught out for his lack of mobility for the 1st goal but in general he is competent and composed. Does what you'd expect from a centre-back.

Diamond - Before the game I thought we had good competition for places at CB with the 3 regulars, well that made Dickov's life a lot easier. Left flat-footed along with Clarke for the 1st and to blame for atrocious marking for the 2nd. But even worse he looks very vulnerable to through balls and players running at him. He might be a good captain but when Furman's back there'll be no reason to play him.

Diallo - looked OK, I'd probably have him in ahead of Black for his strength and pace but also should have dealt better with the cross for the 2nd.

Simpson - so so. Gave the ball away for the throw that led to the 1st goal. Put in a good cross nearly got Reid a goal too. Not the best player but helps the full-back more defensively than other wingers.

Taylor - Flattered to deceive. Booking was deserved although it would've been harsh to send him off moments later. Might be controversial but I thought he was VERY lucky not to be sent off for diving early in the 2nd half, he needs to be careful with his histrionics.

Wes - got himself about as usual, did alright but nothing special.

Adeyemi - not sure about him, he didn't do much wrong and got forward late on but he sits too deep for my liking and certainly isn't a box-to-box player. Doesn't strike me as being very confident either. Won't be missed when Furman is back.

Kuqi - quiet. Not his game.

Reid - our best player, if he keeps improving at this rate we will have a very good striker on our hands. Deserved a goal today. One caveat though, Kuqi makes him a better player as Smith, while effective, changes our style of play and things don't flow through Reid as much.

Subs:

Smith - looked good and very effective. Should've scored late on but it was a brilliant save. Will prove useful this season but could be great next year.

Morais - more of a threat than recently and nearly created/scored a goal. I'd be tempted to stick him on the left ahead of Taylor in the near future if Taylor doesn't improve.

No blame towards Dickov today, he got things right but individual mistakes cost us. We are better than last year as we have many different options to create or score goals either through long-throws from Clarke or Kuqi and Reid's know-how up front, or off the bench from Smith's aerial ability, Morais' trickery or Parker's pace. We'll stay up (probably comfortably) because we'll be able to win matches in different ways, but looking at the top 6 at present I can't honestly say that we could displace any of them.

Watched the game in the main stand opposite the away end. Very annoyed by that as we created enough chances to win the game in all but the 1st 20 mins which they dominated. Even more pissed off by the awful defending for the 2nd goal which gave us an unnecessarily hard task, furthermore it was a from a counter attack after we had started the 2nd half brightly. Exeter have got worse since I saw them at the start of the year and could be in trouble if things don't click for them, because they won't be as fortunate as they were today over the course of the season.

Players:

Cisak - did alright, can't be blamed for the 2 goals as he was left stranded by his backline.

Lee - solid as usual, dealt well with Nardiello.

Clarke - he was caught out for his lack of mobility for the 1st goal but in general he is competent and composed. Does what you'd expect from a centre-back.

Diamond - Before the game I thought we had good competition for places at CB with the 3 regulars, well that made Dickov's life a lot easier. Left flat-footed along with Clarke for the 1st and to blame for atrocious marking for the 2nd. But even worse he looks very vulnerable to through balls and players running at him. He might be a good captain but when Furman's back there'll be no reason to play him.

Diallo - looked OK, I'd probably have him in ahead of Black for his strength and pace but also should have dealt better with the cross for the 2nd.

Simpson - so so. Gave the ball away for the throw that led to the 1st goal. Put in a good cross nearly got Reid a goal too. Not the best player but helps the full-back more defensively than other wingers.

Taylor - Flattered to deceive. Booking was deserved although it would've been harsh to send him off moments later. Might be controversial but I thought he was VERY lucky not to be sent off for diving early in the 2nd half, he needs to be careful with his histrionics.

Wes - got himself about as usual, did alright but nothing special.

Adeyemi - not sure about him, he didn't do much wrong and got forward late on but he sits too deep for my liking and certainly isn't a box-to-box player. Doesn't strike me as being very confident either. Won't be missed when Furman is back.

Kuqi - quiet. Not his game.

Reid - our best player, if he keeps improving at this rate we will have a very good striker on our hands. Deserved a goal today. One caveat though, Kuqi makes him a better player as Smith, while effective, changes our style of play and things don't flow through Reid as much.

Subs:

Smith - looked good and very effective. Should've scored late on but it was a brilliant save. Will prove useful this season but could be great next year.

Morais - more of a threat than recently and nearly created/scored a goal. I'd be tempted to stick him on the left ahead of Taylor in the near future if Taylor doesn't improve.

No blame towards Dickov today, he got things right but individual mistakes cost us. We are better than last year as we have many different options to create or score goals either through long-throws from Clarke or Kuqi and Reid's know-how up front, or off the bench from Smith's aerial ability, Morais' trickery or Parker's pace. We'll stay up (probably comfortably) because we'll be able to win matches in different ways, but looking at the top 6 at present I can't honestly say that we could displace any of them.

Would't mind seeing Diallo LB Black LM or Black LB Diallo LM

What about taylor? Lm all day, even he says it is his best position. Nothing wrong in having options but rather have the competition at lb a troublesome position at best and we will have an embarresment of riches when black returns

I've always thought that he's been more effective through the middle. He's OK on the left but he doesn't produce consistently enough from there for my liking.

What about taylor? Lm all day, even he says it is his best position. Nothing wrong in having options but rather have the competition at lb a troublesome position at best and we will have an embarresment of riches when black returns

Could work, but I think we need at least one of Taylor or Morais in the team. If we were to do this then I'd take out Simpson and replace him with Taylor or Morais.

From my view, its his best in the way that he gets to cut inside often and get a shot off, but on the right he's far more likely to get a cross in, which is an advantage when we have the likes of Kuqi, Smith and Reid (to some extent as we know he is better with the ball to feet) to get on the end of them, which is more likely to get us goals than Taylor cutting inside. His best position is left wing/ behind the striker for himself, but for the team his best position would be right wing in my opinion.

Despite having 3 more experienced centre backs the club I expect Tarkowski to be the best of them all and in the first team soon.

Fair point, I wouldn't bring him in immediately ahead of Clarke nor (from what I've seen) Mvoto, but I'd definitely take him over Diamond and I think he'll get his chance soon if the form of the other CB's drop.

Quick edit: After seeing the FLS it was Clarke to blame instead of Diamond for the 2nd and Diallo should've done much better too.

Also great effort by the 168 Latics fans who made some noise which was heard from the other side of the ground!

Finally I thought the ref did pretty well overall, but both teams had stonewall pens turned down. Theirs after 30 secs and ours just before injury time for a foul on Diamond.