My 25 years as a Latics Fan Part III

Never thought I would be so happy to see an opposing team score against us the night Mendonca banged in number 3 for Grimsby & ended the living hell that was our time under the management of Mr Sharp......grim , grim ,football.

Will never forget the look on that :censored: Sharpe's face.

I went to the tunnel to shout up to him to ask him to resign when they put the 3rd in and the arrogant fecker sat there and blew me a kiss :lol: !

He was an awful manager (although he looked good compared to Penney).

Bloody hell, I think the protests outside the Main Stand at the time, were bigger than some of the crowds we get these days!

Never thought I would be so happy to see an opposing team score against us the night Mendonca banged in number 3 for Grimsby & ended the living hell that was our time under the management of Mr Sharp......grim , grim ,football.

I know what you mean, it was an afternoon though (Mendonca did score in a night match at BP the previous August when they beat us 1-0 in the first round of the League Cup), it was the afternoon of my 20th Birthday, trudging out of Boundary Park leaving a game I had thrown a sickie to go to, I thought "Happy feckin' Birthday Paul…", boy did I drown my sorrows that night….The frustrating thing under Sharp's tenure was we lost so many games by the odd goal, we were rarely hammered - in fact during the 95/96 season we went a whole season with never conceding more than two goals in ANY league game..and his final game was in fact the heaviest defeat under him the problem was we were that so :censored: during the 'Sharvey' tenure that one or two would usually be enough to beat us….

Edited by oafcprozac

I just memories of it being dark ,perhaps it was a mid season game ...perhaps not.

I remember going to 2 successive home games against teams as dreadful as we were. It was like watching tennis as we hooved in up and down the pitch. The scores were 0-0 , 1-1 and 0-0 ...The 2 goals were penalties ...yes no goals scrored from open play in 3 games.

.The frustrating thing under Sharp's tenure was we lost so many games by the odd goal, we were rarely hammered - in fact during the 95/96 season we went a whole season with never conceding more than two goals in ANY league game..and his final game was in fact the heaviest defeat under him the problem was we were that so :censored: during the 'Sharvey' tenure that one or two would usually be enough to beat us….

Remind anyone of a manager in more recent times??????

Good read and while Andy Ritchie never achieved amazing success as a manager he did pull off 2 of the finest signings of the last 15 years in John Sheridan and David Eyres lord knows what would have happened if he hadn't pulled those 2 signings off. Another signing that made a real impact for a short period of time was Paul Beavers think it was the 2nd to last game of the 98-99 season and he managed to nick us a 1-0 win at home to Stoke a crucial win that was and set us up for the final game at home to Reading. Another signing that Ritchie pulled of during that season was that of Paul Mardon rememeber him? For a few games in the 2nd half of the 98-99 season came in and was a steady head at the back for us got the winner in a 1-0 win at Notts County if memory serves me right.

Torrid time that 98-99 season infact interms of talent it was the worst Latics side I can remember but with the battle hardened competitors of Duxbury, Kelly and Garnet and the guile of John Sheridan we got through it. I hope people remember this when he brings chesterfield back here in a few weeks time.

Edited by GlossopLatic

I just memories of it being dark ,perhaps it was a mid season game ...perhaps not.

I remember going to 2 successive home games against teams as dreadful as we were. It was like watching tennis as we hooved in up and down the pitch. The scores were 0-0 , 1-1 and 0-0 ...The 2 goals were penalties ...yes no goals scrored from open play in 3 games.

Reading and Southend , Reading 1-1 (Toddy Orlyggson scored his only Latics goal from the spot before Jimmy Quinn equalised for Reading again from the spot, the game vs Southend was so dire the Chron report the following Monday led withe the headline "What's going on Graeme?" The next home game was another 0-0 v Portsmouth….

Remind anyone of a manager in more recent times??????

Good read and while Andy Ritchie never achieved amazing success as a manager he did pull off 2 of the finest signings of the last 15 years in John Sheridan and David Eyres lord knows what would have happened if he hadn't pulled those 2 signings off. Another signing that made a real impact for a short period of time was Paul Beavers think it was the 2nd to last game of the 98-99 season and he managed to nick us a 1-0 win at home to Stoke a crucial win that was and set us up for the final game at home to Reading. Another signing that Ritchie pulled of during that season was that of Paul Mardon rememeber him? For a few games in the 2nd half of the 98-99 season came in and was a steady head at the back for us got the winner in a 1-0 win at Notts County if memory serves me right.

Torrid time that 98-99 season infact interms of talent it was the worst Latics side I can remember but with the battle hardened competitors of Duxbury, Kelly and Garnet and the guile of John Sheridan we got through it. I hope people remember this when he brings chesterfield back here in a few weeks time.

Mardon popped up with a few important goals, the winner at Notts County, the opener v Lincoln and our goal at PNE. Beavers was a strange one, he looked decent whilst on loan, very raw but a presence - we made the deal permanent early the next season but he was barely to be seen again….and in 98/99 Paul Reid helped a fair bit too...

My second ever game that.. Cambridge earlier on in the month was first ever game. Not that i can remember much about them both!

Suddenly feel very old…Cambridge we won 1-0, last of three successive wins and the last of a six game unbeaten run. Andy Holt finishing off a good move with a sliding volley..

Edited by oafcprozac

• 4 months later...

Suddenly feel very old…Cambridge we won 1-0, last of three successive wins and the last of a six game unbeaten run. Andy Holt finishing off a good move with a sliding volley..

I actually saw this Goal from Delivery Room nine in the Royal Oldham,5 minutes after my daughter was born 10 weeks premature.!

I didnt go again till the Blackpool game 3 weeks later,took my 3 year old lad to his first full game after visiting daughter in Special care unit.He did something that day what I Hadn't done in 28 years of supporting the Club, with 3 minutes left he wanted a dump! Yes,missed the goal that sent Blackpool down!

Same lad,now 15, sat with me at Rochdale last week,lots of mates there his age too,thinks aint too bad at the minute.