Bloody hell another manager falls to the Latics curse

Didn't see this one coming. I know someone somewhere will have the big list of managers who have been sacked following the ignominy of being beaten by little latics but this must take the biscuit.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/15675372.stm

1404 games in charge and we are the final straw!

Edited by astottie

Didn't see this one coming. I know someone somewhere will have the big list of managers who have been sacked following the ignominy of being beaten by little latics but this must take the biscuit.

Not the first time he's moved back upstairs, he's been in and out of the job over the last few years. They get a new guy in but Dario is still there in the background, every time the team goes on a bad run the new guy is sacked and Dario is installed as manager again. The club will not move forward until Dario retires or takes a major backseat. Director of football is not that! He's still the puppet master. Crew's version of Vladimir Putin!

it was on the cards

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/15611854.stm

he's been in and out of the managers position for years

Crewe Alexandra

By 2002, he was one of just two managers to have held their position since before 1990. He has since joined the club's Board of Directors.

"Dario is honest, diligent and remarkable. He did a great job at Crewe and proved himself to be one of our best managers."

Sir Bobby Robson[4]

His keen eye for spotting and rearing young talent is what has gained him some recognition in football. He was linked with the post of FA Technical Director in 1996,[5] and also entered into discussions with Portugal's Benfica over the vacant managerial spot in the 1980s.

His success continued into the 2000s, when he helped launch the career of a new generation of young stars including Dean Ashton and Michael O'Connor. Crewe Alexandra won the PFA Bobby Moore Fair Play trophy twelve times in fifteen years during Gradi's reign.[6]

On 20 April 2007 Gradi announced that with effect from 1 July he would relinquish first team responsibilities, becoming Technical Director while gradually handing over to new first-team coach Steve Holland, with Neil Baker remaining as assistant manager. Gradi told the club website:

"I didn't want to be a 75-year-old manager working seven days a week, 52 weeks a year. That is not healthy for the future of the club. I will probably drop dead doing the job at some point but I wanted to put that day off a bit. This is a better way to do things, to introduce this gradual transition because it will take some of the workload off me."[7]

On 18 November 2008, Gradi resumed control of Crewe's first team on a caretaker basis after a poor start to the 2008/09 season under Steve Holland had left the club bottom of League One.[8] He was in charge for just over a month before Guðjón Þórðarson was announced as his successor on Christmas Eve 2008.[9] Gradi remained in charge of the team for two games during the Christmas period, with Thordarson taking over on 29 December. Following the sacking of Þórðarson on 2 October 2009,[10] Gradi was again reinstated as caretaker manager which the board of directors then stated would be until further notice.

After returning as Manger in 2009, on 10 October 2011 it was announced that Dario had chosen to step down as Manager, returning to his position as Director of Football. Dario's then Assistant Manager Steve Davis was appointed as Manager with immediate effect.[11]

Edited by razza699

No surprise he's moved upstairs - i would have been amazed if they'd have sacked him outright, but a move to director of football doesnt surprise me at all, he has previous for that anyway doesnt he?

The chap who's taken over was pretty good value on the touchline on Tues night. Good luck to him - keep them playing the style of football we watched on Tues; just add a CM animal and a big target man to the clubs Christmas list id say!!