My 25 Years as a Latics Fan Part IV

The Celebration game was surreal ....the queues were massive an hour before kick off.

We queued for the Chaddy in the cra park , but I had this feeling that it was going to be full very soon.

We walked to the Ricky Road End & could see the hugh crowd already in.

Everyone slowly increased their wlaking speed until it was a full on race.

Me & the daughter got in with about 30 seconds to spare ,ending up sat near the front & getting a great view of the bizarre first half 5 goal onslaught.

Amazed the 4-1 win over champions Plymouth hasn't appeared in this part , it was end to end footy at it's best

Crikey, some memories came flooding back then! Excellent write up.

Word of warning though: say anything less than complimentary a

bout King Murray again and I'll call you a pretty nasty name :wink:

Nice that the young 'uns can now join in! Being able to remember what the :censored: I am on about!

• 3 months later...

Nice that the young 'uns can now join in! Being able to remember what the :censored: I am on about!

Part V and the conclusion to this is nearly finished, sorry it's taken so long had a lot on over the last few months, if there's the appetite to read it i'll post it soon.

Edited by oafcprozac

I smiled reading this more than any of the others. (I'm 23, so I'm told we used to be quite good but don't really remember it)

The Rushden & QPR wins are easily in my top 5 Latics wins. If not the top 2.

Remember the whole team (including Pogs) diving on Johnny Eyre in the Chaddy/Lookers corner after rifling in that winner against QPR? What a fantastic moment!

The Rushden game provided one of the funnier moments I've had watching Latics. When we finally settled down after wildly celebrating the winning goal my Dad looked at me and asked who scored it. "Matt O'Halloran" I replied. He looked at me for a few seconds with a puzzled look before saying "Who the hell is that!?" A moment that really sums up the start to that season...

I smiled reading this more than any of the others. (I'm 23, so I'm told we used to be quite good but don't really remember it)

The Rushden & QPR wins are easily in my top 5 Latics wins. If not the top 2.

Remember the whole team (including Pogs) diving on Johnny Eyre in the Chaddy/Lookers corner after rifling in that winner against QPR? What a fantastic moment!

The Rushden game provided one of the funnier moments I've had watching Latics. When we finally settled down after wildly celebrating the winning goal my Dad looked at me and asked who scored it. "Matt O'Halloran" I replied. He looked at me for a few seconds with a puzzled look before saying "Who the hell is that!?" A moment that really sums up the start to that season...

Rushden was easily the most emotional post-Prem win, I reckon.

Rushden was easily the most emotional post-Prem win, I reckon.

Definitely, I postponed the family holiday - only to Scarborough that year, but I wanted to go to the game so we didn't set off until 5 o'clock straight from BP. (Should have left about 10am) Boy did I hammer the camp club house that night!

And agree with Chris re: QPR being right up there, still in admin, best manager for years walked the day before. 1-0 down and not really in it, getting pissed wet through in the paddock. Great day!

Edited by oafcprozac

Great post -

Some of my other favourite wina of that period are:

Leeds 1 - Latics 3

Mansfield 0 - Latics 1

Forest 0 - Latics 2

Notts C 1 - Latics 3

Edited by pukka