SINGING FANS @ BP

Chelsea would disagree

The 'Zigger Zagger' chant is a derivative of the 'oggie, oggie, oggie' chant. An oggie is the Cornish word for a pastie, and legend has it that the chant was called out by Cornish women to make their menfolk aware that they were about to drop the freshly baked pasties down the tin mine.

The original chant was adopted and used at rugby matches. The chanter shouted and the crowd responded with the words in brackets:

Zigger zagger, zigger zagger, (oi, oi, oi,)

Zigger zagger, zigger zagger, (oi, oi, oi,)

Zigger, (oi)

Zagger, (oi)

Zigger zagger, zigger zagger, (oi, oi, oi!)

Welsh comedian/rugby fan Max Boyce used the chant as the introduction to his act, with the audience responding.

Chelsea fans claim their chant was introduced by one of their supporters in the 1960s. I’m not sure when it started in the Chaddy End at Boundary Park, but I recall a lad called Barry Whitaker leading it (with the Chaddy Enders' responses of oi, oi, oi) some time between 1960 and 1964. I don’t know when the “Chaddy Roar” adaptation was introduced.

Chelsea’s chant was immortalised in 2000 by Laurel Aitken (‘The Godfather of Ska’):

Even Russian fans have adopted it:

and it’s been used at a USA German Beer Fest:

Ve 'ave vays of stealing your chant

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic