Having left my house at 5.15am yesterday morning and didn't roll in until 1.30am this morning thought i'd leave posting until I felt human again!

First of all, despite my criticisms of Dickov well done to him for moving Byrne inside and starting with Brown, Croft got the support he needed to break forward knowing there was covering pace behind him. Byrne was vocal and looked assured in the middle.

First quarter, Pompey saw to try and exploit Obita and Mcleod through the middle, but one save apart and a couple of nervy moments from JYM we did ok. We pressed all over the park and looked to get Mantano and Croft in the game at every opportunity. Simpson was much more involved than he has previously been and our attempts at getting Slew in behind were being thwarted by a lack of movement from him. It was a blessing when he went off as Pompey who looked more dangerous at that point suddenly had Matt Smith to contend with, and what a right pain in the arse he was. JYM should have scored from a corner instead heading it higher when unmarked than most players can hoof it! Then a mad scramble where again JYM saw a free header saved, Byrne's follow up was blocked and Smithy flattened their lad into the back of the net, he was treated for a fair while and Smith was booked. It was good to see though, raw aggression from young Mathieu, he was proving to be a real handful. The pressing continued and Latics had the upper hand going into HT. We were good value for the 0-0 at HT and perhaps a tad unfortunate not to be a goal up. Mantano and Croft had been particularly impressive linking well with Smith and Simpson.

The worry for me and around me in the stands was our usual Post-Half Time brain fart, thankfully we came out with real intent, looking to hit Portsmouth on the break who tbh for all the quality in their side, didn't look up for the fight that Latics had presented them with. If they had been given space perhaps they would have caused us more problems but we never really looked like conceding. Mantano when linking well with Croft was unfortunate to see his shot hit a post, before a rampaging overlap from Grounds saw Ertl send the hardy band of Latics fans mental. The goal was deserved and to be honest I thought there might have been a goal or two more in us; enter the referee….

First Half he was decent, wasn't a homer and called like he saw it. Suddenly he was waving cards around like confetti, then two very poor red cards, neither was a sending off and he couldn't even send the right Latics Player for his early bath. Dickov sacrificed Simpson, and although some on here think that was the wrong choice, he was right to keep Croft and Mantano on who were excellent and Smith's robust centre-forward play that they simply couldn't handle. He won headers all afternoon, held the ball up and put himself about. The midfield did begin to drop deeper, and I was worried that given the amount of Free-kicks we were conceding that Tarky at some point or one of his mates would offer their customary switch-off moment, but no-one did. Tarky won everything in the air when he came on and Smith defended resolutely too.

The final whistle was a relief and I can draw so many parallels to Scunny away last season, we're still a work in progress and players short of what we could be, but although it has taken time bringing Brown into the team has proved to be the right move that many of us suggested. We looked tighter in defence and much more of a threat out wide. Slew going off did us a favour as this guy is a waste of a loan, i'd decided that after about 15 minutes against Walsall, and if he's injured fair enough but there's no fire in the lad's belly. With Smith in the team, we look a threat as teams are too worried about picking him up, drop off and let the wingers and Simpson exploit the space and for me that's the way to play Smith.

The atmosphere all game yesterday was excellent, there was not too many of us, only 300 or so but we made a welcome racket and it was pleasing to see Dickov celebrate at the end. I'm still on the fence, but more of the fight, pressing and will to win and we'll be ok and he'll stay on Employment. A note of caution though, playing away suits our style, we need to learn to transfer that momentum into home games and go for it right from the start. The big test will be the middle of this month at home to Notts and Scunny.

Portsmouth? I found it to be a bit of a dump, with plenty of pond life the 50 year old Hoolie after the game was a prize bell-end but highlight of the day was the disabled hooligan at Fratton Station being arrested for giving us grief we didn't even hear!….When this was pointed out didn't know whether to laugh or throw him under the next train….as my 9 year old was with us, I just laughed.

All in all typical Latics, I went more in hope than expectation yesterday and for once the lads backed up their words and stood up and fought for the win. I hope Corney comes out with a positive statement this week and loosens those purse strings...

Cisak - Two good stops, one from Obita and a late one from Rodgers. One iffy fumble early on.

Brown - Gives Croft free license to rampage, pacy, covered well - stupidly got involved with Obita by retaliating and cost his mate a red card

JYM - Started nervously but after about 15 minutes owned Fratton Park, should have scored twice - head the ball down big fella!

Byrne - Vocal and assured, unluckily sent off - could have scored

Grounds - Linked well with Mantano, good cross rewarded with Ertl's OG. Went into his shell after the substitution of Simpson and conceded too much territory. Stopped doing the simple things and conceded posession and territory too often in the last 20 minutes

Croft - His best performance since his return, carried the ball well and took care of it linked well all afternoon and put his foot ion at times too

Furman - Would still like to see him getting forward more , but tackled all over the park and kept it simple

M'Changama - Busy start but faded, dropped very deep after the red card

Mantano - My MOM some have sriticised this lad a bit unfairly, I feel he's improved with every game and yesterday was my MOM by virtue of him playing the full game ahead of Smith. He hurried and harried his full-back and defender, he got balls in and looked a threat. Like Croft took care of the ball and put his foot in. Was a real outlet especially when it was10 v 10.

Simpson - Looked far more up for it than he has in previous games, would still like to see him make those runs into the box. Was linking well with the two wingers especially.

Slew - Didn't look fit from the off, couldn't make even basic runs to the ball. Did us a favour him going off imo.

Subs:

Smith - Revelation, aggression, height and bulk. Pompey didn't know how to handle him and the movement of Simmo, Croft and Mantano had them unsure whether to mark their arses or their elbows. Hopefully PD now realises he can trust the big fella in difficult games. just missed out on MOM.

Tarky - No heart in mouth moment, so that'll do for me. Attacked the ball, blocked things. Hopefully being subbed and dropped has given him the reality check to listen to his peers and CONCENTRATE. I hope he watched those first 65 minutes from Byrne.

All in all a cracking day out, and the sort of day that explains why we endure the previous three games.

Typical Latics!

And who sat on a swan?

Edited by oafcprozac

Sums it up perfectly. Great day out and the right result. I thought we defended a bit too deep after the red cards, but a good all round performance. Loved the PD double fisted punch at the end and I think he hugged every single player. It obviously meant so much.

Such a pity that the clown of a ref took centre stage. After he'd made a name for himself (you can choose your own name) he suddenly kept his cards in his pocket and took no action over tackles that were worse than those he had previously booked. In fairness, there wasn't a really nasty tackle all game.

Met my brother-in-law (Pompey ST holder) before and after the game and he reckoned we deserved our win. Said that they struggle with anyone who out-muscles them and we did it well. Travelling back with Pompey fans, they all pretty much agreed that the ref ruined a hard fought game and most conceded we pretty much deserved it.

Brentford's next for me and I can't wait.

Sums it up perfectly. Great day out and the right result. I thought we defended a bit too deep after the red cards, but a good all round performance. Loved the PD double fisted punch at the end and I think he hugged every single player. It obviously meant so much.

Such a pity that the clown of a ref took centre stage. After he'd made a name for himself (you can choose your own name) he suddenly kept his cards in his pocket and took no action over tackles that were worse than those he had previously booked. In fairness, there wasn't a really nasty tackle all game.

Met my brother-in-law (Pompey ST holder) before and after the game and he reckoned we deserved our win. Said that they struggle with anyone who out-muscles them and we did it well. Travelling back with Pompey fans, they all pretty much agreed that the ref ruined a hard fought game and most conceded we pretty much deserved it.

Brentford's next for me and I can't wait.

Dickov's fist punch on my vid, "Think he enjoyed that.."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-C-XCk3x81E&feature=youtu.be

Was it you I was talking to on the Platform at Fratton, Brizzle? I was the big Satsuma in the away shirt? Said you were on holiday down there?

My mate from Bath, who always goes with me, was on holiday down there in Chichester. We were on the platform together. If one of us was bald with a beard and the other with a completely shaved head, both of us wearing the old Hillstone tangerine shirts, then yes. It's all a bit of a blur.

Yes defo a West Country accent, and Hillstone Tangerine Shirt, nice to have made acquaintances with one of you!

That would have been Mac, then. It must have been just after I hopped on the train as his was about 5 minutes behind mine. We'll be at Brentford, so maybe we'll meet then.

Bristolatic can I ask you a question. I'm going to the university of Bristol open day the same day we play Brentford how long will it take to get to London on the train from Bristol because it finishes at 12 do you think I have time.

If you're on the noon train you can get to Brentford for 14.53. A swift jog and you're behind the goal for kick off. Others maybe able to identify a slightly swifter route.

Remember to book via PlayerShare WebShop. £17 one way full adult fare (before railcard discount).

http://www.spendandraise.com/xtra/shop/retailers/?search=Virgin&order=alpha&page=A

And onward travel through the same link.

Staying over somewhere? Book that through the old PlayerShare WebShop too.

http://www.spendandraise.com/xtra/shop/retailers/?search=Hotels.com&order=alpha&page=search

If you are spending time or money at railway stations get a bite card for 20% off overpriced concessions like Burger King, Delice de France etc.

https://www.bitecard.co.uk/

If you don't have the Young Person's Railcard discount codes that may work are:

NUS11 for 11% off

SAVE10 for 10% off

http://www.16-25railcard.co.uk/online

Edited by opinions4u

Bristolatic can I ask you a question. I'm going to the university of Bristol open day the same day we play Brentford how long will it take to get to London on the train from Bristol because it finishes at 12 do you think I have time.

I assume it's Bristol Uni you're going to and not University of West of England, which is on the outskirts of Bristol. Trains from Temple Meads are every 30 mins and it takes about an hour and 3/4 to Paddington, but Brentford is a pain in the arse from there as you have to get to Waterloo first.

This is the alternative, but you get to Brentford at the same time.

12:30

Bristol Temple Meads 13:44Reading Station

14:12

Reading Station 14:49 Virginia Water

14:54

Virginia Water 15:23 Brentford

If you're going to UWE, you're close to Parkway station. They're on the hour from there but you have the same problem.

My mate and I are going by car (it's one of the few we drive to, but you can understand with the problems by train) but I'm 8 miles the other side of the City to the Uni, but only 15 mins from UWE. If you can work it, you're welcome to a lift, but we are leaving at 12 as the M4 can be a nightmare and we've had some pretty dodgy runs to Brentford in the past.

Sorry I can't be more helpful but, to be honest, if you're not getting away from the Uni until 12, I can't see you getting to Brentford by train before 3:30.

Edited by Bristolatic

My mate from Bath, who always goes with me, was on holiday down there in Chichester. We were on the platform together. If one of us was bald with a beard and the other with a completely shaved head, both of us wearing the old Hillstone tangerine shirts, then yes. It's all a bit of a blur.

I remember talking to you and your mate down at Luton when we lost 3-0 a few year back. We were wandering around the town (I don't know why). There was me and my brother. I always recognise you. I saw you again yesterday actually.

It may escape your owd memory!

Edited by UpTheLatics

I remember talking to you and your mate down at Luton when we lost 3-0 a few year back. We were wandering around the town (I don't know why). There was me and my brother. I always recognise you. I saw you again yesterday actually.

It may escape your owd memory!

At my age, mate, you do well to remember what happened last week. Pop over and say hello next time and test my memory out!

Bite card link:

https://www.bitecard.co.uk/

Gets 20% off at most railway station concessions including the bar at Euston!

And Waterloo!

55p off our coffees at Piccadilly

Then £11.20 for two Peronis and a lemonade at Waterloo - Hand Bite Card over = £8.96 still pricey but a welcome £2.24 off each round

Then Euston

Cheaper at Fiver for 2 Peronis, then the dopey bint still knocked 20% off - so £4 a round, happy days. The 2/3 hours we had to kill after arriving back into the smoke flew by...

Reckon it saved us around £10-£15 on the day…if you've not got one, get one! Also works in Burger King, M & S food and the other outlets for coffees and sarnies, pastries etc...