Football Manager 2013

Crusoe

Downloaded the FM2013 beta last night and spent an hour or so trying out the new Classic mode (no training to arrange, press conferences, etc). It's very good. Doesn't feel like you're missing out on any of the depth (particularly around transfers, scouting and match tactics) and much quicker to get into. Unfortunately my laptop is getting a bit creaky to handle the 3D graphics so I've switched them off.

Latics' squad is reasonable (based on only two competitive games so far; a magnificent 4-1 win away at Hartlepool in the cup and an unlucky 3-3 draw away at MK). No Wabara or Derbyshire included, but Baxter, Croft and Montano are playing well. Byrne is not, unfortunately. And I'm getting hammered with injuries (Montano, Grounds and Wesolowski all crocked already). Picked up Lichaj (right back) from Villa and Della Valle (striker, on the bench) from Fulham on loan to add some strength. Finances are not healthy though, so whilst I've tied Simpson, Baxter, Cisak, Furman and Wesolowski to new one-year deals I need to sell to sign up anyone else.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm up to October 2013 and it's not looking good for Latics. I'm playing lower down (Blue Square South) but it's not been a pleasant time for the blues as a spectator.

Latics were relegated along with Bury, Hartlepool and Walsall, finishing in 23rd place having won only 12 games (a total of 49 points).

Dickov didn't even make it that far, being sacked in October 2012 and replaced with rookie manager David Wetherall (the ex-Leeds defender) and ex-Millwall midfielder Alex Rae as his assistant. Despite relegation Wetherall's win percentage was higher than Dickov's and he signed a new two-year contract in July 2013 as Latics prepared for life in League Two.

Attendances have dropped further, to a low of just over 1,000 for a Trophy tie with Fleetwood and 2,600 against Torquay in League Two.

On the squad front, 2012/3 saw arrivals in the shape of Denis Suarez (on loan from City), ex-Hearts defender Matthew Park, ex-Wednesday defender Sean McAllister, Brentford's German centre back Marcel Eger and ex-Portsmouth/Watford/Leeds striker Danny Webber. Seven goals in 16 games from Webber wasn't enough to save the club from relegation, though. The club's currently in 13th place in League Two with a record of P14 W6 D2 L6.

Cup runs brought a tiny bit more joy. First round exists to Derby (2012/3) and Forest (2013/4) were bettered by a narrow 1-2 third round exit away at Liverpool in the FA Cup.

Relegation saw an exodus, with Cisak flogged to Blackpool for £400,000 (he's only made one appearance there to date), and free transfers for Smith, Bouzanis, Taylor, Millar, Byrne and Mchangama. Park and McAllister didn't make it to a second season either. Bargain basement arrivals from Accrington, Walsall, and the like haven't helped, with the most noticeable arrivals (Karl Hawley and Hibs' Ivan Sproule) not scoring a goal between them yet.

The current line up features Adam Davies (signed from Accrington; we must love their keepers) in goal, a back four of Freeman (Derby, on loan), Mvoto, Eger and Grounds; a midfield of Mendez-Laing (Peterborough, on loan), Furman, Joyce (ex-Accrington) and Mellor; and Simpson and Webber up front. Star men are Mvoto and Baxter, currently injured, who signed until the summer of 2014 and is valued by the club at £2.3m (having scored 25 goals and made 15 assists in 57 games). Baxter's contract is probably the one bright spot in the last two seasons. Players like Wes, Montano and Brown are still there but rested or injured.

Edited by Crusoe