For the old-timers: Joe "Paddy" Sweeney?

It turns out that the Kiwi barman in my new local's dad played for our youths and maybe reserves before heading off around the world. He is c 67 now, reckons he played in front of 20,000 one time. Any recollections? Suspected that he was a defender of midfielder.

Andy Sweeney was on the fringes of the first team around 1973, a winger, could be him?

I will ask - the barman bloke had no idea his old man had ever played football at a serious level until someone mentioned it when he was over here visiting, so Andy could be a brother or cousin that he also didn't mention. Family from Middleton if that helps.

certainly not Andy Sweeney, he is 62 ish and still lives locally.

I'm sure of the name, sounds like they were a big football family though so could be a connection. The barman bloke is going to ask his old fella for a bit more detail, it sounds like he treats it like your grandad who didn't talk about the war...

the only Sweeney to have played for Latics first team is Andy. he went to Our Lady's , Royton

Born 1951, 39 appearances + 5 subs., played 1971 -75.

if your barman's dad played for Latics reserves/youths then he never had 20,000 watching him when he was here !

Edited by LaticsPete