Why we built the Pennines

leeslover

War of the Roses revisited: Peer accuses Yorkshiremen of mounting 'raiding parties' to Lancashire

For 500 years, ancient rivalries over the throne have divided Yorkshiremen from their neighbours in Lancashire.

yorkshire-2_2417507b.jpg

But now a peer who lives in Lancashire has spoken out about "raiding parties" from Yorkshire whom he accuses of stealing metal, washing machines and even turf for cricket pitches from across the border in a modern-day echo of the Wars of the Roses.

Lord Greaves of Pendle said he had been alerted to the problem by local police, who told him about criminals mounting robberies across the border.

Although many of the incidents are part of a nationwide spate of metal thefts, he claimed the thieves do not restrict themselves to metal and instead the thefts were part of a "wider problem" of people "coming over the border from Yorkshire and stealing our stuff".

In one incident, he said Yorkshiremen could be responsible for stealing turf for a cricket pitch.

"The most ludicrous example occurred last week," he said. "The council had just provided new turf to grass over a rather overgrown area where houses had been pulled down.

"Some people came, possibly over the border from Yorkshire, rolled up some of the new turf and took it away.

"It is quite extraordinary what people will do. I am not quite sure whether they wanted it for their cricket pitches in Yorkshire."

The peer made the remarks in a House of Lords debate on the Scrap Metal Dealers Bill, which is designed to tighten regulation of dealers.

Speaking in the chamber last Friday, he said: "We hear accounts from the local police, who are obviously involved in all this, that raiding parties from over the border in Yorkshire often come and take away all this stuff."

The raids appeared to echo the Wars of the Roses which saw skirmishes between the neighbouring areas in the 15th century, when loyalties were split between the houses of Lancaster, descended from the third son of Edward III, and York, descended from Edward's second son.

The peer, who is also a district councillor for Pendle, said he had heard complaints that washing machines had been stolen in the middle of the night.

"One of the main problems in my part of the world in east Lancashire is the theft of metal gully grates," he said.

"There could be, literally all over the place, very dangerous large square holes, particularly in back streets, which at this time of the year will be full of leaves and litter."

But Lord Willis of Knaresborough interjected to defend Yorkshiremen against the accusations. "May I say that I object very strongly to these appalling assertions about the people of Yorkshire?" he said.

A spokesman for Lancashire Constabulary said: "I think it would be fair to say that people from Yorkshire perhaps do come over. I dare say people from Lancashire go over to Yorkshire as well.

"There is an issue nationwide with metal theft. It is not just specific to Lancashire."

He emphasised that the crimes were not motivated by historic animosities. "Criminals do not think about rivalries – they think about where they go to get metal to sell," he added.

Original war of the roses = local skirmish????

So local that the decisive battle was in Leicestershire with loads of Welsh and Frenchmen involved.

My Yorkshire friend suggested they may have taken the cricket pitches because we have a history of tampering with them. Sore losers, that lot.

• 4 weeks later...

So local that the decisive battle was in Leicestershire with loads of Welsh and Frenchmen involved.

My Yorkshire friend suggested they may have taken the cricket pitches because we have a history of tampering with them. Sore losers, that lot.

Speaking of which, this week I saw my own eyes this on a menu: "Yorkshire Hotpot."

This made me think that they really do need to get over it and move on. Then, I googled the place, and found that they also have a, "Yorkshire Tapas," menu.

That made me think :laught30: :laught30: :laught30: :laught30: :laught30: :laught30: :laught30:

http://www.theheadofsteam.co.uk/huddersfield-food/

Speaking of which, this week I saw my own eyes this on a menu: "Yorkshire Hotpot."

This made me think that they really do need to get over it and move on. Then, I googled the place, and found that they also have a, "Yorkshire Tapas," menu.

That made me think :laught30: :laught30: :laught30: :laught30: :laught30: :laught30: :laught30:

http://www.theheadof...dersfield-food/

Hey, don't mess with the Head of Steam pubs. The food might be :censored:e, and some of the bars less than desirable - but the drinks selection is excellent. Especially the pear drop tasting Briska which I haven't seen anywhere else.

Not to add that The Cluny is part of the highly recommended Ouseburn Run. Although getting off the Metro at Byker for that does have you singing the Byker Grove theme all day.

Hey, don't mess with the Head of Steam pubs. The food might be :censored:e, and some of the bars less than desirable - but the drinks selection is excellent. Especially the pear drop tasting Briska which I haven't seen anywhere else.

Not to add that The Cluny is part of the highly recommended Ouseburn Run. Although getting off the Metro at Byker for that does have you singing the Byker Grove theme all day.

Thought you'd say something to counter-act the disparaging of the head of steam. It is a very good cider pub chain.

It's only the Yorkshireness I was laughing at. I was meeting an Uddy friend at the station and only had a couple of hours so the Steam was the natural choice. I included it some years ago on the Leeds - Manc and back again stag do I arranged some years ago, some excellent pubs along both lines (mostly on the wrong side it must be admitted)