The guilt is starting to kick in...

Now that he has actually gone I feel bad for some of the comments I made because he was such a committed and genuinely nice guy but it just didn't work out on the pitch. Good luck for the future Mr. Dickov, everyone at Oldham Athletic will be sad to see you as a person go (maybe not as a manager) and we all wish you the very best! :Scotland::disappointed:

I wouldn't say guilt but I do feel sorry for him. As nice a guy as he was, people need to remember he wasn't very good at his job and, unfortunately, whatever walk of life you're in if you're not cut out to do the job you won't last long. to be fair, he lasted a lot longer than others so we can't say he didn't get a chance to turn it around. I wish him all the best, at no point would I question his desire and determination but he just doesn't have the tactical nouse for management. Maybe in a few years he'll have another crack and learn from his mistakes. whatever else he does I hope he succeeds

I wouldn't say guilt but I do feel sorry for him. As nice a guy as he was, people need to remember he wasn't very good at his job and, unfortunately, whatever walk of life you're in if you're not cut out to do the job you won't last long. to be fair, he lasted a lot longer than others so we can't say he didn't get a chance to turn it around. I wish him all the best, at no point would I question his desire and determination but he just doesn't have the tactical nouse for management. Maybe in a few years he'll have another crack and learn from his mistakes. whatever else he does I hope he succeeds

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Edited by OAFC_Ryan

Players will no doubt be taking their share of the blame in the media , deeds rather than words were needed.

Just watched the goals from yesterday , we looked as clueless as every other league game for eons .

pathetic.

We were good for 15/20 minutes and then they just broke down our defense easily, no passion again. Connor Brown cannot play down the right as he has no connection with Croft and he cannot cross a ball to save his life, and Iwelumo was poor, didn't jump for anything. It was a disaster, our whole league campaign has been dreadful.

without doubt the correct decision, but i do have sympathy for him, met him before the game yest, thanked him for last sunday, he is a really approachable fella, and he cared about the club, players, fans etc, just didnt happen for him.

but thanks Paul, for the trip to anfield, for the jpt cup run, and for bringing in so much money to the club, through cup runs, signing baxter etc.

never have i felt so disappointed for a manager.

The players should certainly shoulder some of the blame. Almost all of the discussion when we've played badly has been (quite rightly) around PD's tactics but we really do have decent enough players to be higher up the table.

It certainly feels a bit strange him leaving but I think it was inevitable after the backroom staff were sacked. I also think that, given the recent league run, its absolutely right that we've parted ways. But I certainly don't feel the same way about PD that I did about our last manager. I guess it feels similar to Shez although the circumstances are different.

Everyone really wanted PD to succeed and that bought him more time than it probably should have done.

So Paul, thanks for 3 of the best days I've ever experienced in football (Sheff U away last season, Forest and Liverpool) as well as signing possibly the best prospect we've had since we've been in L1 (Baxter). Your heart's in the right place and I'm sorry it didn't work out.

Edited by bossrocks

Why oh why have any guilt? Paul's record in League One was truly awful. I'm gutted it didn't work out but am honestly really happy the head of a terrible managerial position has walked rather than sacked at the club I love.

We can now look for stability this season with survival, then who knows?! We might even get the sign off for the new stand so we have an actual stadium again!

Keith Curle has just been sacked at County BTW, along with his coaching staff......

Top bloke but ineffective manager. No guilt by me but disappointment because he talked the talk, I really wanted him to succeed by he's failed, pure and simple.

Amazing that some of current and ex players have tweeted their sadness - take a look in the mirror guys, eh?!

Fellow players are always quick to defend players and dismiss "not giving 100%" but come on! If they gave 100% then we would have secured more points from the last nine or so games. They've let PD down and should be the ones coughing up his severance pay and not the victim in this; SC and the fans!

I think the players have to shoulder some of the blame, yes. But remember football is strategical, like chess. Its not the players that have to out fox the other manager's formation and tactics.

The manger is the one responsible for changing tactics once ours has been found out / check mate'd etc. Sadly, time after time, once out tactics and style of play had been checked, PD didn't have an answer.

Also, I don't think it's a coincidence that our usual 2nd half of the season flop under PD was because we'd played the teams once already. They had first hand knowledge of our style of play and tactics, most realised we wouldn't look at changing, even if it wasn't going to work.

Hence the poor run every Feb-May.....