I know there's been a lot said about it already but I want to have my say..

REALLY? YOU'RE BOOING THE PLAYERS? WHAT GOOD WILL THAT DO?

I understand why you'd be annoyed and upset with the players, I myself have been many a time this season- especially for the first halves of the last two games but what will booing the players do to make them play better? that's right, nothing. Booing will only negatively affect the confidence of the individual young men, who's confidences are already low due to a depressingly poor season. It won't improve their performances, getting on their backs will make them even more apprehensive and worried about making mistakes, making it more likely that they will as the hesitate or take their eye of the ball for a split second.

Imagine if you were at work and you'd made a mistake that you instantly regretted and then all of a sudden, customers just start booing you, how depressing would that be!? Imagine it, how demoralising it would be for someone you're trying to impress just to boo you for making a mistake? That's how it feels for the players, walking off at half time, their confidence already knocked and already annoyed with themselves, to a chorus of boos, surely it'd make you want to shrivel up into a ball.

So what I'm saying is the solution isn't booing or getting on the players' backs, the solution is getting behind the players and singing as much as possible. I hope the fans at PNE tonight do get behind the players, unfortunately I won't be going but I'll be at Bury on Saturday to get behind the lads. Come On Oldham!!

If they are :censored: and I've paid 20 odd quid to watch them after a hard day or week in work, then I'm going to tell them what a pile of :censored:e I think they are.

I know it's not to everyone's taste, and I appreciate that, but nobody will change my views I'm afraid...

I may well get some stick for this, but people are complaining about booing, and you're right, it doesn't help in any way, shape or form.. I don't boo myself but to be honest, we have a group of players that puts performances in in the FA Cup, we won at forest, beat Liverpool, battered Everton for the final 15, and then as soon as they're back in the league the form drops, I can't go much this season because of Saturday football of my own, but when I have, they were dreadful home to Walsall, dreadful home to Swindon, dreadful home to Bournemouth, ok against Colchester and Scunthorpe and fantastic at Crewe.. All I,m saying is that the fans, who pay over extortionate prices, have the right to boo a team who are almost hopeless at times in the league, but fantastic in the cup. That group of players should be no where the relegation zone, that's the frustrating part.

I think it's important not to mix up booing single players and booing the performance.

The earlier thread was a case of victimising Bouzanis which is most definitely wrong whereas booing the players collectively is fine especially after such a dismal first half performance.

LJ reacted to the boos at half time against Carlisle and made a big decision to bring on 3 subs and it worked.

Targeting 1 individual is wrong but booing the team's display is understandable and within the rights of the paying fans, plus it may have contributed to our pick-up in the 2nd half.

Edited by NewBlue

It's a form of feedback. If they can take the cheers, they should really be big enough to take the boos. Against an individual, for a specific error, it's not helpful. But for the team as a whole - should they be clapped off after a poor performance?

Can't they take reasonable criticism? It's hardly been prevalent at many games, yet we have spent too long in the bottom 4 after seeing motivated performances when there's a big show in town.

Maybe they have to accept that they have created a situation where people feel the need to boo?

I may well get some stick for this, but people are complaining about booing, and you're right, it doesn't help in any way, shape or form.. I don't boo myself but to be honest, we have a group of players that puts performances in in the FA Cup, we won at forest, beat Liverpool, battered Everton for the final 15.

Granted, but was there any booing when we went 1-0 down at Forest after an abysmal first half? Did anyone boo when we let in a cheap 2nd against Everton at BP? Did anyone boo when Connor Brown gave away a stupid penalty at Everton? NO! what did they do? They sung their hearts out, It makes a massive difference to the mentality of the players!

I just don't think booing is the answer, mentally it does nothing.

If you're disappointed with the performance, don't boo the players, stay quiet at the game, moan to whoever you with and point out errors, even seethe if you have to, then you can come on here and launch a tyrant of abuse if you must, but don't boo.

Guest Scratch2000uk

If they bother putting a shift in, no one will have cause to boo them, not that i have ever booed my beloved Latics, but each to their own eh?

The problem with posting this thread is that the last game resulted in mass booing at half time and a massively improved second half.

Whether the booing impacted positively or it made no difference it would be better to point it out at a time when booing at half time was followed by a negative second half.

Although, it's not like fans don't still chant or shout Come on Oldham or whatever when we're losing. There is still an element of support and willpower after booing.

Edited by NewBlue

I think there's a fundamental question here that goes down to the very basis of what defines a fan.

Are you a customer paying hard earned money and demanding entertainment in return, or are you playing your part in a sporting endeavour, becoming part of the team with your undying support from the terraces to spur the players on come what may?

Once upon a time we could have been confident the majority were the latter, these days I think the majority in any football ground are the former.

I used to boo when I was younger, but it's counter-productive and let's be honest you can tell that most modern players couldn't give a toss once they're washed, showered, and received their token bollocking off their manager.

I won't actively boo, I may voice my displeasure at incompetence or downright :censored:ness, but even on Saturday I didn't boo. Inwardly I was seething but not surprised at our level of cowardice in showing zero backbone for the first 45 minutes, tbh this season I simply do not blame people for boooing, this squad has talent but is full of self-centred pussies, that you wouldn't want alongside in a real battle.

70% of the playing staff have been stealing a living this season, and I hope they get their rewards in the summer of no contract and are scrapping around for a League 2 club in mid-September, and when they do get a deal I hope it's at the arse end of nowhere like Barrow….

Roll on Orient, it's a nice long pre-season this year and this year's epic failure on the field may just be out of my system come the pre-season tour….

Edited by oafcprozac

I think its all about context.

When it comes down to it, there are alot of Latics fans out there who will be hard up at the moment, even some who are willing to make, or have made, financial sacrifices to pay their £20 and watch a game. At the very least, those fans should be able to demand that the players play their hearts out for the shirt. Whilst I didn't go on Saturday if the first half performance is anything near as bad as people on here and the match reports say, then people who have paid their hard earned money have every single right to boo until their hearts content.

However there have been many games that I have been to where the players have been boo'd simply because they are coming in 1 or 2 down (or even level), despite not having played particularly badly. In these circumstances I fully agree, its uncalled for. But in scenarios like the above where the players show absolutely zero desire to go out and have a go, despite the the situation the club finds itself in presently, I would find it hard to have a go at anyone for booing who have made sacrifices and paid their hard earned money to watch a group of players, a fair few of whom will be on over 1k a week, go out and play like they can't be arsed.

I think its all about context.

When it comes down to it, there are alot of Latics fans out there who will be hard up at the moment, even some who are willing to make, or have made, financial sacrifices to pay their £20 and watch a game. At the very least, those fans should be able to demand that the players play their hearts out for the shirt. Whilst I didn't go on Saturday if the first half performance is anything near as bad as people on here and the match reports say, then people who have paid their hard earned money have every single right to boo until their hearts content.

They don't have to pay their hard earned money. When did we become such a negative society that we think that voluntarily handing over money gives us the right to verbally abuse other human beings? (That sounds a bit strong, but you get the gist.)

In every walk of life people get praise for doing things well and encouragement when things aren't going right. It's not like the players make a conscious decision to be :censored: with the sole intention off pissing off 3,000 people.

There's nothing wrong with booing the team. We pay a ridiculous amount of money to watch, for the most part this season, gutless, spineless and useless performances. People are than entitled to voice their opinions, and the players deserve it and should be prepared for it. (For what it's worth, I don't boo. But I can't blame anyone who does).

Booing individual players is a different kettle of fish though.

Guest Scratch2000uk

They don't have to pay their hard earned money. When did we become such a negative society that we think that voluntarily handing over money gives us the right to verbally abuse other human beings? (That sounds a bit strong, but you get the gist.)

It started when people were encouraged to boo the villains during pantomime shows.