Guest Scratch2000uk

You can't possibly compare booing nefarious characters hell bent on causing pain and suffering with verbalising your displeasure at an actor on stage.

Booing is the least negative of all the abuses that iv'e heard coming from the terraces. :OASISscarf:

Generally, I don't agree with booing.

That said, since we've gone out of the Cup, there's been some games where I've wondered whether a few of the players are more concerned about their summer move (probably generated on the back of said Cup run), rather than actually giving 100% commitment to getting Latics, the club that currently employs them, out of trouble.

Basically, I don't think it matters whether the fans boo or not - the majority of the players will be off in 3 weeks, so probably won't take much notice.

I don't have the inclination to read the whole thread, but here is my take on booing. Booing during the game is just not on, and counter productive to winning the game. By all means, boo away when the final whistle is blown and let the players know what you feel about their performance.

For some reason it wont let me make a quote - but I agree entirely with Lee Sinnott on the 1st page of this thread. I don't boo the performances very often at all myself, but I understand when others do. This season, last season and the season before - and certainly under Dangerous Dave - there have been times though when I have done. It's a form of feedback - they get my applause and cheering when they do well - when they don't - I no issue with booing.

I think booing is OK - the idea that being critical makes you less of a fan is utter none sense.

In fact, I think it's good for a crowd to demonstrate it's displeasure at a team's performance, therefore providing a dynamic range of positive and negative feeling. It's this dynamic range that makes the crowd real. If the crowd blindly sung their hearts out irrespective of what was happening I personally feel it loses a lot of it's influence and the atmosphere would be false and ultimately sterile.

The crowd on Saturday booed at half time but really got behind the players in the second half and I didn't hear any boos at the final whistle. The odd grumble, yes, but no pronounced boos like at half-time. To me this means the feedback was fair. Don't misrepresent negative feedback as non-constructive.

If I were a player, I'd take a hell of a lot more of a boost from a change in crowd perception after the team started to perform to their ability.

If people pay a lot of money for a meal in a restaurant and the meal tastes like crap then they complain.

Now, football fans don't generally get the opportunity to make a complaint - so I see booing as a reasonable form of complaint when what they're being served up is crap.

I didn't boo last Saturday - but I don't get to matches very often. If I had seen more matches and more insipid performances like the first half last Saturday I probably would.

I don't think the booing has a massive negative effect on the players. Plenty of them didn't/don't seem to care about our team heading for relagation so I don't think a blast of booing is going to take much out of them.

Doesn't bother me enough to boo. Nor do I get wound up by the other team time wasting, the ref or Lino being :censored:, the standard of football being poor, the weather, or anything else that seems to really get under the skin of many that turn up.

If people pay a lot of money for a meal in a restaurant and the meal tastes like crap then they complain.

Now, football fans don't generally get the opportunity to make a complaint - so I see booing as a reasonable form of complaint when what they're being served up is crap.

That goes straight back to the simple question: are you a customer or a fan?

I disagree fundamentally with the idea of booing purely on the basis of ineptitude. Let's face it, we all have good days and bad days. Just imagine for a second how you'd feel if you got half as much stick as footballers do everytime you had a bad day at the office?

What really rankles with me is when players show a lack of effort or desire, or a downright shoddy attitude. In that instance, and only in that instance can I understand why people might boo.

I have to say, I still think it's counter-productive though. I find it hard to believe that the likes of KMB or Reuben Reid were ever inspired to work harder for the team as a result of the fans getting on their back.