The Cost of Football

I stumbled across this article which I thought begged a few questions from a Latics perspective:

http://www.rednbluearmy.co.uk/crystalball.php?post_id=255

I wouldn't necessarily advise trying to work out how much you spend a year, and if you do it might be worth burning the piece of paper before your other half finds it.

The main thing that struck me was the amount he spent on club social events. Is this a trick we are seriously missing? I know we have the end of sesaon awards ceremony and we have organised this pre-sesason do in Ashton but that's about it. It may well be that we just don't have a big enough fan base to do much more but surely this, if marketed well, is a good way of getting non-fans involved with the club. Comedy nights and sportsman's dinners should attract the whole community and provide a good stage to promote the club.

The cheerleader sponsorship was interesting too. I know Palace have made a big thing of their cheerleaders but is that something we could do? The Blue Crew are all well and good but are probably (hopefully!!) not quite what most of the male contingent in the crowd are looking for. An older element to them would open up other commercial opportunities both for them to perform at events and also to bring in sponsorship.

I think there is a reason for it, but it always baffles me that there is no drink being sold in the Chaddy. I would have had my final pre-game drink in there for the last 12 or so years at about 3 quid a pop. Instead my money has gone to the Clayton Green instead. Then maybe another at half time. I know it is only a small amount but it adds up over time.

The cheerleader sponsorship was interesting too. I know Palace have made a big thing of their cheerleaders but is that something we could do? The Blue Crew are all well and good but are probably (hopefully!!) not quite what most of the male contingent in the crowd are looking for.

It reminds me that the last time two former cheerleaders, that some of the male contingent were looking for, turned up at BP on match-day, they were turned away. :disappointed:

It reminds me that the last time two former cheerleaders, that some of the male contingent were looking for, turned up at BP on match-day, they were turned away. :disappointed:

What a circus that was, we were nothing more than a promo vehicle for them both. Glad corney :censored:ed them off.