The Goal Fest Returns

If we learn to switch on and defend, then we have the potential to be some side!

We started on the front foot and could have easily been a couple of goals up before we switched off to give Stevenage an unlikely lead. IN truth they hadn't really threatened us. They seemed intent in kicking our wide players out of the game and the fact Lee Hills had to be subbed within 15 minutes de to him being on a last warning for constant fouling of Dayton said it all. Adam Rooney beat Day to a cross, ref disallowed it, gave it, scratched his bollocks and disallowed it again. :censored:ing Clown!

Their when it came shortly after goal was disappointing, after clearing the initial danger we allowed another two efforts on goal- one of which Charles smashed in from a tight awkward angle. In reality someone needed to take charge and call for them as a group to move out instead of being trapped in their own six yard box. So one down at half-time but certainly not out of it. The scoreline was harsh.

I had a feeling we'd come out, and seize the initiative - we did. A very good Baxter Free-Kick saw Tarky smash home a volley on the far post back across Day 1-1. MacDonald then (who had been impressive all afternoon) was wrestled to the ground, Penalty given. Baxter places to Day's left, decent save. Only players that react are in blue, Jose buries the rebound into the opposite corner. Straight after the one man you want to run 60 yards one on one, Monty - ties the defender in knots, has he gone too wide? Day closes the angle - nope he dinks it Asprilla like into the middle of the goal. 3-1, a stroll…….or so we thought! Mellor dealing competently with an attack out wide, then Tarky decides to take charge sliding the ball out. Quick throw in, both centre-backs way out of position on the touch line. Tonk plays it across 3-2.

The equaliser was again avoidable, another set-piece - we switch off Morais unmarked bang 3-3! Heads could have gone down but nope, we go again McDonald(?) blasts in a shot, great save by their striker, pen. Jose buries! Then JCH has a good turn and shot just wide. Still time for a few more nerves in the FIVE minutes of injury time with Oxley coming and claiming a couple of crosses.

Final whistle, we're up and running and time to draw breath, great day out an attacking performance full of promise and just the start we wanted!

The Manager: great to see us having a go from minute one, and we finished the stronger. I think his substitutions at 3-1 were a little premature. Unless Rooney took a knock or was completely bollocksed we could have done with another 10 from him. Dayton had to come off he WAS knackered but Schmeltz is an attacking threat and will not track back if he loses the ball. Byrne coming on was a good move, but he or Wes might have been better coming on once we went 3-1 up to see out the game. Not a criticism for being gung ho, bjt the game was won at 3-1 imo and we had to go and win it again because of the gaps we left.

Oxley: Despite conceding three goals he had little to do, claimed crosses competently. Not at fault for any of the goals

Brown: Was shaky in the first half, but much better in the second half

Tarky: Cracking finish, didn't need to get involved in conceding the throw that ultimately led to their 2nd

Mellor: Brought the ball out of defence and distributed the ball well. Still getting caught a touch too wide imo, and needs to switch on for quick throws etc.. but no glaring errors today. His ball playing ability is central in launching our quick front to back attacks.

Grounds: Too gung ho at times and two of the goals from his side, he was better second half but is increasingly giving the ball away. We need more from him. Especially with 3 kids alongside him.

Dayton: Revelation! Ran at them from minute one, drew fouls looked to get the ball in. A real outlet

Smith: You can see why he's been given the armband. Vocal, keeps us ticking over

Baxter: Class, buys himself time, missing the first pen didn't faze him when he buried the rebound and coolness personified with the late winner.

Monty: Quieter early doors, but they couldn't handle his running. Quality goal, he's going to be a handful this season.

McDonald: have to be honest, his finish v Bucharest apart - he hasn't really impressed me. Until today! What a pain in the arse to play against, held it well, twisted and turned, great link play and won both(?) penalties. (My MOM)

Adam: Physical presence, held the ball up, looked to get it wide linked well with his wingers and his strike parter. Criminal that his goal was disallowed.

Subs:

Sid - Couple of good runs, one wild shot. Want more tracking back.

JCH - Couple of good efforts, petulant booking

Byrne - Steadied the ship

Strap yourselves in, it could be helluva ride. I couldn't watch the pen - biting my nails on the opening day! Since when?

Edited by oafcprozac

Fair summary Prozac. Was very impressed with MacDonald too. Thought Baxter was at times a little prima dona like. Not playing to the whistle and expecting free kicks. That said, the boy is class.

Both Tarky & Mellor are great ball playing centre halves. I also like the way Oxley has clearly been told not to lump it forward all the time, and instead find a ball playing defender. Would like to give Mellor some more time to see if he can make that position work for him. It's gonna be fun...! :)

Belting day and all our fans want to discuss is how many threads we are allowed on the subject!!! Internet police or what. Lighten up wewon!!! Go Get pissed!!!

I thought if I was going to take the time and trouble to write up a decent report, then it deserved its' own thread, rather than get bogged down in the the other thread.

I thought if I was going to take the time and trouble to write up a decent report, then it deserved its' own thread, rather than get bogged down in the the other thread.

Totally agree Prozac.

Great write up mate, thanks for doing it. I didn't see the match because I'm away and was hoping for an in depth run down. I'm glad Dayton and Macdonald looked good. I haven't been sure about them pre-season.

Excellent report, Prozac, you should be snapped up by the Chron as the new Jim Williams. And LJ and the team remind me of 1970 when Williams was in his pomp and Frizz saved us from what seemed like certain re-election when he was appointed in that bleak mid-winter of 69/70, and created the lovely attacking team that got us out of Div 4 the next season, led by King of the Jungle Jim Fryatt.