Well played Oldham

Loads of possession, but from open play how many chances did we create?

Schmeltz shot, was that created though or did he just nick the ball?

The team is crying out for a wellens / shez type. The final ball isnt there. Good to see us being positive on the pitch though.

Edited by pukka

It was a penalty all night long. Davies played it perfectly, just managed to get himself in front of Wes, saw the challenge coming and allowed the contact to be made. Very intelligent play.

Couldn't get to the match, so watched it on the box. I must have watched at least 15 replays of it and every time I see it, it shows him touch the ball. It's never a penalty.

Edited by lancy lad

Wes got his toe to the ball, but at the same time brushed Davis leg, both were off balance and fell. Is that a pen no, because Wes got the ball, but in real time it was a pen all day. Wes was stupid to try and get the ball it was going nowhere and he should have let Davis have it.

That's four totally avoidable penalties we have given away in seven games .That is unforgivable and ruins all the very good displays we have had. LJ needs to stamp this out.

I agree with your reading of the situation, but it is a penalty. Touching the ball and winning the ball are two entirely different things. Davies has cleverly got in front of Wes, who has ended up looking silly because as he tries to play the ball he's put his leg in the path of Davies, who falls over it. It wasn't even a tackle, but it doesn't have to be.

It was a soft penalty, but it was a penalty.

Compare that to the Oxley one last week: On this occasion it wasn't a penalty, but both show a trend that Johnson needs to halt. We're naively giving referees an opportunity to make that decision far too regularly. Oxley probably didn't need to make the challenge on Lowe (although he cleanly won the ball) and Wes certainly didn't need to do anything other than run Davies and the ball wide last night.

This is my one main criticism of this team. Other than that I'm satisfied with our defending: particularly the imperious Tarkowski!

An oft-overlooked rule of football.

And by those that should know a damn sight better!

I get incensed when I hear one of Shearer, Hanson, Lawrenson poring over slow mo replays before confidently declaring "Well he got the slightest touch there. The referee will look back at that one and be disappointed"

Clear penalty all day long. From the moment Wes made for the ball along the goal line I was muttering dont tackle..BOOM, he went for the ball, stupid just stupid. The ref was unsighted and was never going to give it until the lino flagged.

Some of the stuff we are watching is fantastic and at times Preston were mere watchers....but and a big but, I don't like the tag forming of best team and lost. It's not a moan, far from and I really hope this side doesn't lose the belief in what they are producing. We really need to turn these into victories, stating the blindingly obvious I know but you get my drift.

You can have as many replays as you want but the officials only see it in real time and make their decision, I actually thought it was a pen on first view tbh. Already stated but at end of the day Wed should of never give Davies chance to buy the penalty, going absolute no where! We seem to dominate with lots of possession and crosses etc but it wasn't as if we opened then up with little passes behind their back 4 for 1 v 1 situations. Not too dis-heartened tho cos I can see its going to come eventually.

A couple of excellent performances last night.

I thought Smith looked a very very cultured player and is imo an excellent signing.

Tarky reminds me of a young richard jobson at times and is starting to look the real deal.

There were others but these 2 stood out for me in a decent team peformance.

What was lacking was composure in front of goal.Smeltz is like a headless chicken in front of goal,thats twice i have seen him blaze wildly over the bar when deep in the oppositions box,wallsall was the other example.

from what i have seen id like to see mcdonald and clarke harris given a go,rooney needs a kick up his ar se.

I am getting sick of hearing plaudits from opposition managers ,players ,fans saying well played you were the best side we have faced I really hope we win on sat winning ugly or winning when not at our best will do for me and show a lot of character after the last two games if. Rooney had been at the races last night we would have won easy dont think either forward was that good but how many big physical sides have we struggled against over the years we need to add a bit of steel to our beautiful passing game very soon .

Well played lads , I thought you were by far the better team tonight although that was our worse 90 min for some time.

Very fortunate to come away with 3 points.

Play like that for the rest of the season and you'll be in the mix for sure, good luck for the rest of the season apart from when we visit yours.

Cheers though I didn't think you played badly. You defended very well in the final third considering you we're chasing the ball everywhere else.

An amazing passing performance for the first 70 minutes, whereby we totally dominated possession and looked lively and dangerous - albeit with limited clear cut opportunities, but enough. Particularly liked the in-swinging corners ala Neil Pointon in the Prem days - very dangerous and the keeper did very well.

Last 20 minutes I think PNE got in the game more and it felt more evenly balanced. But overall, like many people, you feel that the quality of the football on display from Latics deserved something from the game - probably all 3 pts.

Regarding penalties, I'd say they are both in the 'dubious' camp. I watched the 'handball' replay a number of times and the GK and defenders arms overlap and I cannot be certain which it hit - it may have been the defender, but its impossible to sure and I think whichever way the decision went it would have been a talking point. At full speed with one viewing I think the ref probably made the right call. Probably.

Re Davies and Wes. Again not clear. Davies may have 'gone down easily', Wes may have got a foot on the ball (not heard of this difference between touching the ball and playing the ball before - what is the difference?), or Wes played the man first. Whatever it was an unnecessary challenge and one that 'gives the ref a decision to make' as they say - at at full speed I think the officials again called it right.

I think when you look at them both - you can make arguments for either outcome. And if we were on the other side we would. Two difficult decisions, could have gone the other way in each case, but on balance both decisions were probably correct.