referee for wolves (fa cup)

Reffed when we got dicked by Southampton, let's hope it's not the same again.

On a side note, looking at that Southampton starting XI that night - six are still playing for Southampton competing at the top end of the PL (Davis, Fonte, Schneiderlin, Guly, Lambert, Lallana), one is at the PL leaders (Chamberlain), two are in the Championship (Chaplow and Richardson), and just Dickson is in League One.

Lambert and Oxlade-Chamberlain have gone on to play and score for England and Lallana has been called up.

And yet they still didn't win the league :wink:

Reffed when we got dicked by Southampton, let's hope it's not the same again.

On a side note, looking at that Southampton starting XI that night - six are still playing for Southampton competing at the top end of the PL (Davis, Fonte, Schneiderlin, Guly, Lambert, Lallana), one is at the PL leaders (Chamberlain), two are in the Championship (Chaplow and Richardson), and just Dickson is in League One.

Lambert and Oxlade-Chamberlain have gone on to play and score for England and Lallana has been called up.

And yet they still didn't win the league :wink:

Talking to my Dad the other week, and we were debating the best away side we'd seen at BP over the last 10 years or so.

He said Gary Johnsons' Bristol City side that played us off the park in, he thought, 2003-2004. The one that included Baso, Cairey, McCallister, Skuse, LJ, Myrie-Williams, Marcus Stewart etc.

I said that Saints side that Pardew brought along to destroy us. They were simply awesome. I remember thinking that they looked likely to score with every attack - and they attacked constantly.

The thing that struck me that game was their pressing. It was relentless.

Yep, they had Scheiderlin (spl) who cost £1.5million, Lambert who the paid £1million for, so too Fonte who was £1million too...so they were poles apart from our budget - but the way Pardew had them set up, his tactics and his selections - feck me; what a side they were...

Edited by slystallone

Best sides I've seen in this division:

1. Southampton (I believe it was under Adkins not pardew)

2. Wigan 02/03

I remember someone saying "Southampton can't be that good they didn't even win the league". I said that was as they were too tempremental and half the time didn't try. They played when they felt challenged. I happily made £150 when they went up from the Championship the year after too.

2. Wigan 02/03

I remember someone saying "Southampton can't be that good they didn't even win the league". I said that was as they were too tempremental and half the time didn't try. They played when they felt challenged. I happily made £150 when they went up from the Championship the year after too.

Ah - my mind isn't what it once was - i stand corrected, it was indeed Adkins and not Pardew.

Pardew assembled that side, Adkins came in and saw it home (promotion)

Still - what a bloody machine they were that night. Awesome

2. Wigan 02/03

I actually thought Bristol City were a better team than Wigan that season.

I actually thought Bristol City were a better team than Wigan that season.

Agree, the only team that truly wiped the floor with us that year. We couldn't live with them that night at Ashton Gate and if it hadn't been for Pogs we would have been hammered 6 or 7 nil.

Best teams in this league during our 17 season tenure?

Blackpool the 2nd half of 06/07 when their loanees clicked where as good as ANYTHING I have seen at this level. However the first 2/3 of that season WE were the best side in the division.

Agree Bristol 06/07 were a very good side

Southampton were excellent for two years and if it hadn't been for the fact of the point deduction they probably would have gone up the year before.

Keegan assembled some Fulham team that walked the league in the late 90s and then pissed the Championship two years later

Moyes' Preston team played some great football and were knocking on the door for a couple of years

In terms of firepower Crewe in 02/03 were spoilt rotten

I still haven't seen a team with a bigger heart than the one Dowie put together in 02/03 if we'd had another goalscorer we would have run Wigan very close.

More often than not though a well organised team of brutes with a goalscorer are the ones that prosper at this level.

Watford, Wigan, Plymouth, Luton, Hull, Leicester, Scunny, Millwall etc...

Edited by oafcprozac

The Keegan Fulham side is a very good shout too.

There was Bristol Rovers team with Barry Hayles, Jason Roberts and Cureton up front which again had some fire power. (Ellington and Zamora were the youth prospects). None were as good as Dean Ashton, but it was the fact they had 5 top strikers on their books which astounds. When else has that ever happened at this level?

Edited by pukka

The Keegan Fulham side is a very good shout too.

There was Bristol Rovers team with Barry Hayles, Jason Roberts and Cureton up front which again had some fire power. (Ellington and Zamora were the youth prospects). None were as good as Dean Ashton, but it was the fact they had 5 top strikers on their books which astounds. When else has that ever happened at this level?[/quotej

I still have nightmares about Jason Roberts moving mark hotte aside and smashing it into the chaddy end net .