Anyone know what this is about?

I think it was referring to the progress that athletic made from being a new baby club to punching above its weight . to think latics lost out to everton as league champions by a point a few years later . I think the 1st world war was started as dastardly plot to stop us dominating world football . the Kaiser was a Rochdale fan !

I think it was referring to the progress that athletic made from being a new baby club to punching above its weight . to think latics lost out to everton as league champions by a point a few years later . I think the 1st world war was started as dastardly plot to stop us dominating world football . the Kaiser was a Rochdale fan !

I think they are actually accusing us as being more like the modern day Chelsea/Man City and buying success. IIRC the opening few pages of "A team from a town of chimneys", about Latics' history, refers to us having a decent financial boost from local business man/men in the pre-Great War 20th century.

The picture, showing the date as 13th November 1907, was most likely referring to Latics' excellent start to the 1907-08 Second Division season, having been Lancashire Combination Champions the season before. By the time of the cartoon, we'd won 8, drawn 2 and lost only 1. The guy in the "Billy Pot" hat was David Ashworth, arguably Latics' most successful manager, who was given to running the length of the Broadway stand roof to keep up with play. I think he once fell off.

Latics ended that first season in the Football League in 3rd place behind Bradford City and Leicester Fosse. The record was Played 38, Won 22, Drew 6 and Lost 10, scoring 76 goals and conceding 42. The team contained the then famous half back line (2-3-5 was the formation in those days) of Fay, Walders and Wilson.

As said above, "The Team From a Town of Chimneys" is a brilliant read, as is the follow up "Pine Villa and Oldham Athletic - A 100 Year History", by the same author, Stewart W Beckett.

For those who fancy a good Latics history read, the ISBN number is 0-9516497-4-4

A guy called Dave Moore has had a couple of good books published, "Oldham Athletic - On This Day" ISBN 978-1-9054112-9-0 and "Oldham Athletic Miscellany" ISBN 978-1-9054113-9-9

Now that I've made myself sound like a right nerdy bookworm, I'll leave it at that.

Edited by Bristolatic