Progress: What is it for Latics?

Another post reflecting on the time given to Joe Royle back in the day got me thinking about what do we expect from Latics under LJ?

A bit of time on Soccerbase and this rather good summary site http://european-football-statistics.co.uk/attnclub/olda.htm (you can tell its a busy few days at work during the run up to Christmas) has allowed me to get a bit of an overview on our club and its performances.

For the last 18 seasons including this one, we have been steadfastly stuck in the 3rd tier of English Football. During that time period a team needs to be getting on average 75 points to make the play-offs, and 86 points to get automatic promition (the minimum for each has been 70 and 79). Generally 50 points is enough to keep you up.

For 10 of the seasons we have spent in this division we have not managed a points total starting with a 6, and this includes the last 5 consequtive seasons. And this conistent poor performance and flirtation with relegation has impacted on attendances with a steady decline over the same 5 year period.

Of the remaining 8 seasons that we did manage to be a bit more competitive, 2 of these (70 and 82 points) were achieved during a period of unsustainable expenditure under Moore's tenure as chairman that almost finished the club off, and one was the first season down.

Sheridan was probably our most successful manager in terms of points and expenditure achieving 3 consecuctive seasons of a points total of 65 points or more and an average attendance of greater than 5,000. Given that he is doing alright at Plymouth, perhaps more faith in John might have seen us continue to develop - who knows.

To answer the my topic quiestion I perosnally think if LJ can get this current team to finish with a points total in the mid 60s I'd say that shows some real progress, even a total of 58 or more would represent our best return since 2009. Current points per game indicate a 65 points total come the start of May, not enough to worry the play-off spots but definite improvment.

Attendances will be tricky - though the bigger away teams to come to BP could see us arrest the decline we have seen in the last 5 years.

Given Lee Johnson is yet to meet the 2 years in charge mark, a top half finish I believe would be an excellent return and great progress. Even if we went backwards again next season before improving the year after, I would exercise patience. He's going to get better IMO, we need to back him for the long term. After all, the same approach paid dividends in terms of results and the loyalty that he later showed, for big Joe.

One major advantage that Royle had was he was always allowed to build on previous seasons work, the current manager doesnt even have the luxury from window to window, its hard to sustain any sort of promotion effort when there is very little continuity, looking at the squad Christmas photo from last season the only survivors are Philliskirk and Dayton if you can put him in that bracket, if you look at the teams up there only Bristol and Notts County have had anywhere near the same turnover of player and both clubs have spent well with significantley greater resources, for me the only chance we have of a sustained assault on the play off places is to try to keep a core of a squad together which we all know is near on impossible in our current prediciment.

That's not strictly true AthleticosOA95, he was perpetually forced to sell his best asset, Micky Quinn, Andy Goram, Andy Linighan, Mike Flynn, Tommy Wright... and so on, in order to balance the books.

Sure, it was easier pre Bosman to retain players registrations, however he also worked under restrictions. As outlined in my post of yesterday, he wasn't am immediate success, it took time.

Johnson has tied some of our better assets; Kelly; Philliskirk et al to longer deals than recent managers have done. One can only hope that over time that pays back.

I think we have good manager in the making here and I look forward to watching us develop - set backs aside here and there - over the coming seasons.

That's not strictly true AthleticosOA95, he was perpetually forced to sell his best asset, Micky Quinn, Andy Goram, Andy Linighan, Mike Flynn, Tommy Wright... and so on, in order to balance the books.

Sure, it was easier pre Bosman to retain players registrations, however he also worked under restrictions. As outlined in my post of yesterday, he wasn't am immediate success, it took time.

Johnson has tied some of our better assets; Kelly; Philliskirk et al to longer deals than recent managers have done. One can only hope that over time that pays back.

I think we have good manager in the making here and I look forward to watching us develop - set backs aside here and there - over the coming seasons.

I agree but we did get a good couple of seasons out of the majority of those and brought in some good transfer fees at the time, as it is now any reasonable offer is likely to be accepted, I know its the nature of the beast but its far more difficult for the current manager to operate as things stand.