Bury FC Gigg Lane - tribute

As an Oldham supporter, I have just been down to Gigg Lane to pay my respects to Bury Football club where 3,000 sold down the river by a narcissistic chairman who brought a billy big bollocks mentality to what was a lovely community club. When he went he was followed by a Chairman who has courted controversy and ultimately delivered the last rites to what was a good club.

I first went to Gigg Lane in 1972 - saw 4th Division Bury FC beat 1st Division Manchester City 2-0. Went with friends who supported City so I was quite delighted to see the Super Whites upset their famous neighbours. Went to the next round too, watched Chelsea win 1-0 and Peter Bonetti stretchered off.

I went to Gigg Lane again to see the Bury FC v Middlesbrough tie in 1974/75 - Bury coming from 2-0 down to win 3-2 after I missed the first two goals queuing to get in. That night I recall seeing 17 different teams' scarves and also saw a few regular Oldham supporters there.
First time I saw my beloved Latics at Gigg Lane was in August 1974 when we drew 0-0 there in a forgettable league cup tie, Bury won at the home of British Football 3-2 in the replay. We made our next visit there the following season when both teams were in a higher Division. Our neighbours beat us 2-0 again - another of our league cup walks.

I made intermittent visits to Gigg Lane in 1970s and 1980s, mainly to see Oldham in pre-season friendlies but caught the odd Cup game. I always enjoyed Bury, it had a good family atmosphere in those days.

My life changed forever when I ended up going out with a Bury lass - started attending Gigg Lane more regularly although obviously my team was the Oldham. I recall a chap called Michael collaring me one day saying "You are not a Bury FC fan are you?" "No I responded - Oldham" to which you responded "Thought not, you are far too vocal". Saw a few cracking games at Gigg - beating Wrexham 4-2 at home in a second round cup tie, a 4-4 drew with Hudders after being 4-0 up at half time and probably saw all Bury FC home fixtures in the play offs. I was there when Bury were humbled by Blyth Spartans in the FA Cup but the supporters were magnaminous in their praise for their plucky opponents. I also was one of 9000 present when Bury FC defeated the mighty Millwall 2-0 to win the league under Ternent with "Rocket Ronnie scoring". It was a fabulously sunny day, befitting of a great occasion. The following day I was at Boundary Park watching Oldham go down in an uncovered stand when it was hailstoning!!! Very appropriate.

The last few visits have generally been watching as an Oldham supporter and my last visit was under Paul Scholes when we lost 3-1 (could have been 10 at least) and witnessed our first league defeat there since 1967/68. In the later years, I felt that the club had changed, it wasn't as welcoming as it had been for the first 40 odd years I had dropped in. But lets not focus on that, far greater happy memories of Gigg Lane as a neutral on many occasions, as a BFC supporter with my other half on a fair few and as an opposing spectator. I loved the old Boys Stand, loved changing ends at half time, loved the old Main Stand paddock. Loved the social club, enjoyed the banter with Terry Robinson and Neville Neville. Happy memories of meeting some great people, genuine, football loving people like myself. Met Neil Clark, Baz Warburton, Michael, Mervyn, John , Derek, half the Bury FC fans team, Michaela who always thought I was a Shaker. o

To all good decent Bury FC supporters, I was devastated for you , still am - so I hung a couple of scarves in your memory and fond memories of a great old football ground.

I hope somehow you still survive, I really do. I can't comprehend how you must be feeling but I am feeling empty as a member of the footballing family who loves the game more than anything. Somehow I hope you will stay at Gigg Lane and enjoy football there again as a Bury fan. God bless - there but for the grace of God

11 hours ago, unsworth blue said:

As an Oldham supporter, I have just been down to Gigg Lane to pay my respects to Bury Football club where 3,000 sold down the river by a narcissistic chairman who brought a billy big bollocks mentality to what was a lovely community club. When he went he was followed by a Chairman who has courted controversy and ultimately delivered the last rites to what was a good club.

I first went to Gigg Lane in 1972 - saw 4th Division Bury FC beat 1st Division Manchester City 2-0. Went with friends who supported City so I was quite delighted to see the Super Whites upset their famous neighbours. Went to the next round too, watched Chelsea win 1-0 and Peter Bonetti stretchered off.

I went to Gigg Lane again to see the Bury FC v Middlesbrough tie in 1974/75 - Bury coming from 2-0 down to win 3-2 after I missed the first two goals queuing to get in. That night I recall seeing 17 different teams' scarves and also saw a few regular Oldham supporters there.
First time I saw my beloved Latics at Gigg Lane was in August 1974 when we drew 0-0 there in a forgettable league cup tie, Bury won at the home of British Football 3-2 in the replay. We made our next visit there the following season when both teams were in a higher Division. Our neighbours beat us 2-0 again - another of our league cup walks.

I made intermittent visits to Gigg Lane in 1970s and 1980s, mainly to see Oldham in pre-season friendlies but caught the odd Cup game. I always enjoyed Bury, it had a good family atmosphere in those days.

My life changed forever when I ended up going out with a Bury lass - started attending Gigg Lane more regularly although obviously my team was the Oldham. I recall a chap called Michael collaring me one day saying "You are not a Bury FC fan are you?" "No I responded - Oldham" to which you responded "Thought not, you are far too vocal". Saw a few cracking games at Gigg - beating Wrexham 4-2 at home in a second round cup tie, a 4-4 drew with Hudders after being 4-0 up at half time and probably saw all Bury FC home fixtures in the play offs. I was there when Bury were humbled by Blyth Spartans in the FA Cup but the supporters were magnaminous in their praise for their plucky opponents. I also was one of 9000 present when Bury FC defeated the mighty Millwall 2-0 to win the league under Ternent with "Rocket Ronnie scoring". It was a fabulously sunny day, befitting of a great occasion. The following day I was at Boundary Park watching Oldham go down in an uncovered stand when it was hailstoning!!! Very appropriate.

The last few visits have generally been watching as an Oldham supporter and my last visit was under Paul Scholes when we lost 3-1 (could have been 10 at least) and witnessed our first league defeat there since 1967/68. In the later years, I felt that the club had changed, it wasn't as welcoming as it had been for the first 40 odd years I had dropped in. But lets not focus on that, far greater happy memories of Gigg Lane as a neutral on many occasions, as a BFC supporter with my other half on a fair few and as an opposing spectator. I loved the old Boys Stand, loved changing ends at half time, loved the old Main Stand paddock. Loved the social club, enjoyed the banter with Terry Robinson and Neville Neville. Happy memories of meeting some great people, genuine, football loving people like myself. Met Neil Clark, Baz Warburton, Michael, Mervyn, John , Derek, half the Bury FC fans team, Michaela who always thought I was a Shaker. o

To all good decent Bury FC supporters, I was devastated for you , still am - so I hung a couple of scarves in your memory and fond memories of a great old football ground.

I hope somehow you still survive, I really do. I can't comprehend how you must be feeling but I am feeling empty as a member of the footballing family who loves the game more than anything. Somehow I hope you will stay at Gigg Lane and enjoy football there again as a Bury fan. God bless - there but for the grace of God

Nice sentiment. 

Downvote. 

Archived