Norton Internet Security

oafc_ok

Guest oa_exile
My Norton Internet Security Subscription expires next week. I've never really had any problems with it but was wondering if anyone could recommend a cheaper system which would do the same job?

Thanks.

Matt , I was also on Norton for many years,Rummy moved me onto AVG & Zonealarm for FREE :grin:

Rummy: Should I also be moving over to COMODO ?

Depends how powerful your PC is, and which version of Norton it is.

Anything older than Norton Internet Security 2008 is incredibly resource hungry.

You can adequately protect your PC with a selection of free downloads. AVG 8.0 FREE is as good an antivirus as most of the pay ones, and coupled with other stuff like ZoneAlarm and Adaware and a firewall provides perfectly decent protection.

If you want a single, full package, then the full AVG Internet Security is pretty good. Much less intrusive than Norton, but protects you just as well. £40 a year I think. (Norton's usually about £60)

Edited by garcon

• 2 months later...

What did you go for, Matt?

I'm in the same situation now - Norton's about to expire in the next month. I feel better about buying something rather than using free stuff (not like me :wink:), and have had no problems with Norton at all, and don't find it at all intrusive!

I'm in the same situation now - Norton's about to expire in the next month. I feel better about buying something rather than using free stuff (not like me :wink:), and have had no problems with Norton at all, and don't find it at all intrusive!

Mads,

The free stuff is just as good, if not better than the paid for products and I have had more trouble with the paid for products than I have ever had with the free ones. When it comes to anti-virus both free and paid for are only as good as the best of yesterday's viruses, there are no guarantees that either will protect you from or clean 100% of all viruses as newer and sneakier viruses they are being released regularly. With firewalls the free stuff tends to be a bit more userfriendly than the paid for stuff which can be unnecessarily flabby.

In general the free stuff is given away free almost as advertising for the company's enterprise software for business - it is in their interests to provide a superior product than the paid for ones to the home market.

It might "only" be £60 a year but it is a bit like paying for insurance that you won't get wet if it rains, they can't guarantee that they can protect you 100%. I certainly won't be paying for any security software at anytime in the future.

Mads,

The free stuff is just as good, if not better than the paid for products and I have had more trouble with the paid for products than I have ever had with the free ones. When it comes to anti-virus both free and paid for are only as good as the best of yesterday's viruses, there are no guarantees that either will protect you from or clean 100% of all viruses as newer and sneakier viruses they are being released regularly. With firewalls the free stuff tends to be a bit more userfriendly than the paid for stuff which can be unnecessarily flabby.

In general the free stuff is given away free almost as advertising for the company's enterprise software for business - it is in their interests to provide a superior product than the paid for ones to the home market.

It might "only" be £60 a year but it is a bit like paying for insurance that you won't get wet if it rains, they can't guarantee that they can protect you 100%. I certainly won't be paying for any security software at anytime in the future.

Which ones do I need again then? It's all a bit confusing!

I went for Comodo which seemed fine. It then started prompting me to update as support for the version I had was about to expire. I updated but since then have had all sorts of problems with my pc crashing. I did a system restore but am now still on the original, unsupported version. Don't really know what I'll do next. May try to re-install the updated version when I get chance. Unless anyone can suggest an alternative?