The new faces

most of vernons goals came as laste consolations in defeats for us after he had missed good chances to take the game to the oppo, losing 3-0 the pressures off, easy to score

I didn't think that looked right and having looked through his history with Latics it happened a few times but not half as often as he scored the first goal or the goal to put us in front after the opposition had equalised. Not too concerned with the Vernon debate but the view of him as just scoring consolidation goals is inaccurate.

rick holden wasnt as good second time, andy goram wasnt as good second time, neil kilkenny wasnt as good second time, tommy wright wasnt as good second time. and barring one thay are club legends

but i am sure if you put vernon up front, john eyre in midfield we are going to win promotion. well done senor. :wink:

having a think i dont remember anyone else you might be able to drag up that was mediocre at best and played for us twice.

my point is without trying to come across as a patronising t**t and probably failing is, palyers who have been and gone should not come back, we are trying to reach the championship and the players you have mentnioned are and where not good enough, if i am wrong then we should be in the championship already.shouldnt we?

forgot neil adams, wasnt as good second time, legend :blush:

I don't think your examples are the best by the way...

rick holden wasnt as good second time - True, but he was still a decent signing and we made some cash too.

andy goram wasnt as good second time - Clutching at straws #1. He came back 20 years later, 20 stone heavier. Hardly a fair comparison.

neil kilkenny wasnt as good second time - You're kidding? He was better. Or are you just comparing the Neil Kilkenny sans the last few months of his first loan spell?

tommy wright wasnt as good second time. - Clutching at straws #2. He came back 15 years later and 15 mph slower. Again, isn't fair to compare.

forgot neil adams, wasnt as good second time - Clutching at straws #3. See above for Tommy.

We nearly won promotion when Eyre came back, who was an important squad player in our play-off season under Dowie. Coco isn't suggesting we resign him, just pointing something out.

Now I'm not saying Verndog is our 'missing piece'. But people are unfairly claiming he's not a worthwhile signing which is rubbish. He had a goal every two games ratio for us last time so to dismiss that is ludicrous, and while that ratio hasn't been quite that good since, we must bear in mind he's been a benchwarmer at Blackpool so not being playing a huge amount of full matches. Any striker coming in now would be behind Davies and Hughes as it stands right now anyway.

I do think we need a striker who's a real aerial threat though, and has presence up front. One of the reasons why we're so poor overrall on set pieces is lacking a big striker.

I don't think your examples are the best by the way...

rick holden wasnt as good second time - True, but he was still a decent signing and we made some cash too.

andy goram wasnt as good second time - Clutching at straws #1. He came back 20 years later, 20 stone heavier. Hardly a fair comparison.

neil kilkenny wasnt as good second time - You're kidding? He was better. Or are you just comparing the Neil Kilkenny sans the last few months of his first loan spell?

tommy wright wasnt as good second time. - Clutching at straws #2. He came back 15 years later and 15 mph slower. Again, isn't fair to compare.

forgot neil adams, wasnt as good second time - Clutching at straws #3. See above for Tommy.

We nearly won promotion when Eyre came back, who was an important squad player in our play-off season under Dowie. Coco isn't suggesting we resign him, just pointing something out.

Now I'm not saying Verndog is our 'missing piece'. But people are unfairly claiming he's not a worthwhile signing which is rubbish. He had a goal every two games ratio for us last time so to dismiss that is ludicrous, and while that ratio hasn't been quite that good since, we must bear in mind he's been a benchwarmer at Blackpool so not being playing a huge amount of full matches. Any striker coming in now would be behind Davies and Hughes as it stands right now anyway.

I do think we need a striker who's a real aerial threat though, and has presence up front. One of the reasons why we're so poor overrall on set pieces is lacking a big striker.

fair enough but they are the only players that we have re-signed kilkenny up for debate, eyre was not good enough although not bad and i liked him he did a job ( we now need more than that), the rest where not as good second time around , making a proffit or not.i know they where older

and if vernon did come back wouldnt we have to pay for him?