Some help needed

I have to record a radio segment that is effectively an 'a-z' of a club to get a summer job at the sports section of a local radio station. After spending all week emailing football and rugby clubs all over the North West, Oldham are the first ones to finally respond so Im going along on Thursday. Since the thing will be audio, I was thinking it would be a kind of audio ground tour of Boundary Park, trying to incorporate what goes on behind the scenes on a matchday, and the more historical aspects of the ground and the club. I have a basic knowledge of Oldham, and have been to Boundary Park for a game before now, and will be doing more research for the next 2 days. Given that this is for a Merseyside radio station, it will probably never be heard. But its mainly to test what I can do, and how good a piece I can put together. But I want to know what you as fans (the kind of people who this slot would be aimed at) would be interested in hearing, considering if this was a segment that would be heard, the fans are the kind of listeners I would be aiming it at.

I have to record a radio segment that is effectively an 'a-z' of a club to get a summer job at the sports section of a local radio station. After spending all week emailing football and rugby clubs all over the North West, Oldham are the first ones to finally respond so Im going along on Thursday. Since the thing will be audio, I was thinking it would be a kind of audio ground tour of Boundary Park, trying to incorporate what goes on behind the scenes on a matchday, and the more historical aspects of the ground and the club. I have a basic knowledge of Oldham, and have been to Boundary Park for a game before now, and will be doing more research for the next 2 days. Given that this is for a Merseyside radio station, it will probably never be heard. But its mainly to test what I can do, and how good a piece I can put together. But I want to know what you as fans (the kind of people who this slot would be aimed at) would be interested in hearing, considering if this was a segment that would be heard, the fans are the kind of listeners I would be aiming it at.

i would have to say a brief history of latics,letting people know how we climbed upto the big league and so on.

and some behind the scenes stuff like hows the new physio doing and what are his plans for next season.....and try to get a few words from either shez or tommy wright,about how things are going and what if any plans are there for next season.

how the ground is going to be developed and generally that next season will be our promotion season.

Glad to hear that Latics have been an early respondant to your request. It doesn't surprise me as they are a decent family Club with a good image. Also, Everton made a great impression on the Directors and Fans alike with their hospitality in January (both on and off the pitch!).

I think your focus really would be on the plans ahead for the redevelopment of Boundary Park. Over the next few years, we will have a new Main Stand (formerly the Broadway Stand which is scheduled for demolition this Summer) as well as refurbishment of the Chaddy End and the current Main Stand. There have to be a lot of stories from fans and this thread may give you a flavour of memories regarding the soon to be demolished Stand.

As Ed has said above, we have recently got a new Physio and so an interview with him would be great for us Oldham Fans. We really suffered last year with soft tissue injuries following the transfer of the previous physio to Billy Smart's Manchester City and so it would be great to hear from the new guy.

As I mentioned earlier, Latics are a decent family Club but their reputation was tarnished by some very unfavourable comments in the National Media following our signing of Lee Hughes. It would be brilliant for that to be redressed with a more postive piece about Lee. Since joining, he has done masses in the local community to help in various campaigns and does lots of talks to groups in an attempt to stop others following the same path. It's testimony to the guy that this is kept low-key and as for reporting, it is only the local press who ever cover the stories.

Finally, all associated with the Club (along with several others like Rochdale and Grays) are pulling together for Ernie Cooksey. Not sure when your Broadcast will be aired but anything you could do here would be welcomed.

It also shows the real side of lower League football and the massive fights that current and ex-players can have outside the mega-rich Premier League.

Thanks for showing and interest. :)

Finally, something on Oldham on local radio that isn't ronnie moore talking sh*te :wink: Which station is it?

It'd be worth talking about how close the club came to going bust a few years ago, then looking at where the club's heading now, focusing (as people have said) on the ground redevelopment. Like Inspiral_Carpet says it's a good chance to look at what life's like outside the Premiership and the massive gap in resources, and what the club's achieved despite its financial problems.

I have to record a radio segment that is effectively an 'a-z' of a club...

Smudge. Is there any chance of you making the recording available for download on Yousendit.com or such like. If it's saved as an MP3 or similar then perhaps someone from OWTB could use their webspace to host it and make it available for everyone to download.

Just a thought given not many will hear the broadcast and I'm sure a lot will be interested from here.

Smudge. Is there any chance of you making the recording available for download on Yousendit.com or such like. If it's saved as an MP3 or similar then perhaps someone from OWTB could use their webspace to host it and make it available for everyone to download.

Just a thought given not many will hear the broadcast and I'm sure a lot will be interested from here.

I should be able to. The recorder Ive hired for it is one that can be plugged into the computer and downloaded, so it shouldnt be too difficult. I warn you in advance that it will probably be quite rough around the edges since I havent learned how to edit yet! Its for Liverpool station CityTalk. Like I said, I doubt it will ever even be broadcast, its mainly just a way of testing me and anyone else who applied for the post to see how good we are. Ill try to upload it to here whether I get the position or not though!

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. Like I said, I have a rough knowledge of Oldham, but Ive picked up some finer details here I wouldnt have really known otherwise.

Ah, Pete Price FM. For the vast majority of lucky people on here who are blissfully unaware of him Pete Price is a Liverpool DJ who inspired this banner that liverpool fans took to the 2005 european cup final. I've not listened to city talk so far cos every time i switch on he's on it.

Good luck with the job hunting mate,look forward to hearing the finished product and hopefully to hearing you on the airwaves.

Ah, Pete Price FM. For the vast majority of lucky people on here who are blissfully unaware of him Pete Price is a Liverpool DJ who inspired this banner that liverpool fans took to the 2005 european cup final. I've not listened to city talk so far cos every time i switch on he's on it.

Good luck with the job hunting mate,look forward to hearing the finished product and hopefully to hearing you on the airwaves.

Yeah, Im not a fan of his either! :lol: Hes publically slated Everton fans more than once in the past leading to the only times his show is worth listening to...because every caller is an Everton fan on a windup, usually upsetting him so much he goes home! I only really tend to listen to ity when the sports on, Merseyside is far better otherwise.

Sorted the interview out today and have emailed it off, and just waiting to hear back. Im not sure how to upload it to here, if anyone knows how, let me know! The file is about 7kb if that helps. Decent material really, 9 minutes long with the press officer, who is actually a Latics fan and covered all different aspects of the club.

Im not sure how to upload it to here, if anyone knows how, let me know! The file is about 7kb if that helps. Decent material really, 9 minutes long with the press officer, who is actually a Latics fan and covered all different aspects of the club.

Upload it on You Send It and then post the link on here Smudge. We'll be able to download it on there. Failing that, contact Inspiral Carpet or Rummy The Owl on here and arrange to email it to them. I'm sure they'll be able to use the webspace on here to make it available to download.

Over the next few years, we will have a new Main Stand (formerly the Broadway Stand which is scheduled for demolition this Summer) as well as refurbishment of the Chaddy End and the current Main Stand.

Chaddy End and the current Main Stand to be refurbished!!!!!

This is new news to me, I thought they were being knocked down and rebuilt.

I'm risking a woosh moment here, but they are. But not yet.

No whooshing.

Just trying to stop any confusion.

Unless, due to falling interest in the housing development, there are thoughts afoot for a cheaper option of refurbishment for the Chaddy and old Main Stand instead of rebuilding them in a few yrs time.

Is this how rumours start?

smudge,

It would be good if when doing your tour of the ground or bit about the clubs past / present you could manage to get one of our better known senior players to put their input in, to help put things into perspective and gauge the club against their own experiences / views.

Ones that I would be interested in and that would possibly get the neutrals attention would be:

Mark Crossley

Sean Greegan

Lee Hughes.

You could even try and come up with a theme or format of the club captain giving you the low down and insight to the club. (Less work for you and same questions and format for future slots)

This would show your future employers you have a few ideas for a succession of football programmes and that you have thought things through i.e. future shows and regular slots interest from a bigger demographic.

Greegan does latics and the slot and then the week after the captain of another local side does the same.

Just a thought,

Good Luck

smudge,

It would be good if when doing your tour of the ground or bit about the clubs past / present you could manage to get one of our better known senior players to put their input in, to help put things into perspective and gauge the club against their own experiences / views.

Ones that I would be interested in and that would possibly get the neutrals attention would be:

Mark Crossley

Sean Greegan

Lee Hughes.

You could even try and come up with a theme or format of the club captain giving you the low down and insight to the club. (Less work for you and same questions and format for future slots)

This would show your future employers you have a few ideas for a succession of football programmes and that you have thought things through i.e. future shows and regular slots interest from a bigger demographic.

Greegan does latics and the slot and then the week after the captain of another local side does the same.

Just a thought,

Good Luck

I think what he says in post 10 means that he's finished it and sent it off. May just be me though.

Upload it on You Send It and then post the link on here Smudge. We'll be able to download it on there. Failing that, contact Inspiral Carpet or Rummy The Owl on here and arrange to email it to them. I'm sure they'll be able to use the webspace on here to make it available to download.

Im not on YouSendIt, Ill do some emailing around!