Dwayne Chambers loses case

Cheaty cheaty

Not sure how I feel about this. I suspect that the great majority of medal winning athletes in the explosive events will have had a little help from their chemist, but then the guy did get caught. I bet his mates who lost the relay golds because of him won't be sad to see the back of him

Not sure about this either as Chambers has done his time, and lost his medals but due to a rule that it seems we are the only country to enforce he is not allowed to compete in the Olympics again. Plus isn't the 400m woman still eligible despite serving a drugs ban (albeit for a more minor offence). So it does seem harsh but I don't like cheats in any sport and feel he should still be banned from his first sport. However, can someone tell me who was the last 100m olympic champion to be clean throughout his career and the earliest I can think of was Allen Wells and no disrespect to him but he probably wouldn't have won if it wasn't for politics. So I feel its very harsh to give Britain's gold medals to another country when there isn't a 100% certainty that the other country was clean.

Even the sports that you would like to believe are totally clean, maybe like rowing, have to be open to question. It was an East German in charge of our program for the last couple of decades, I rather doubt he has never known of a syringe appearing from out of nowhere earlier in his career. Perhaps he was happy to work in a country where that doesn't go on, but...

What I sure about is that in events like the sprints you would have to be a physical freak of the highest order to be able to win in a field where most people are at it (past history suggests most Olympic 100m finalists get caught at some point or another) and which already attracts the crop of physical freaks anyway. The drugs DO work - I used to train with a guy who had tried steroids for a brief spell years before, and it took him years to get back to a level he'd achieved in a 6 week spurt. then. To win against that clean...

Dwayne Chambers knew that if he took drugs and got caught then that is his Olympic career over...yet he still did it. He doesnt deserve the honour of representing GB at the Olympics.

I know just where you are coming from, but I still don't quite know. Fact is that most athletes wouldn't progress in the competition, or even reach the games, without taking drugs. If you were clean you would be tempted to get yourself on an even footing with the people who were otherwise going to fill your place. Another guy I know, a colleague, was at one time a British powerlifting champion and record holder despite being clean. He was looking to push on and join the team for the Commonwealth team, but to actually compete in those games he would have had to improve a long way. A couple of guys who he knew from way back did what they had to do to get there and came from a long way behind him to being way ahead of him in no space of time, and he didn't want to go down that road* and left the sport competitively.

Put it another way, when loads of USA college team have several sprinters that can do around 10 seconds, how do the really top boys come through? They have to have the talent, but so do lots of other people.

*He's a dick, so you don't have to feel sorry for him

Fact is that most athletes wouldn't progress in the competition, or even reach the games, without taking drugs.

I know what your saying, and it is true. But, he took drugs, he got caught, and now he has to deal with the consequences. If you cant get through to the competition without taking drugs, then you cant get through.

Hopefully, sooner or later, all sports will take Pro-Cyclings lead and really actively root our drug cheats. As far as I can see, Cycling is the only sport which has a chance of getting itself clean because it is really tough on drugs. You are always hearing about Cyclists testing positive, and this is because its the one sport which i really feel wants to get clean. You dont get the same feeling with other sports (Athletics, Weightlifting, etc..).

I know what your saying, and it is true. But, he took drugs, he got caught, and now he has to deal with the consequences. If you cant get through to the competition without taking drugs, then you cant get through.

Hopefully, sooner or later, all sports will take Pro-Cyclings lead and really actively root our drug cheats. As far as I can see, Cycling is the only sport which has a chance of getting itself clean because it is really tough on drugs. You are always hearing about Cyclists testing positive, and this is because its the one sport which i really feel wants to get clean. You dont get the same feeling with other sports (Athletics, Weightlifting, etc..).

I love cycling (well, the Tour de France anyway), I think it's the greatest combination of team and individual sport there is. There's no question it was dirtier than a Frenchman in a mudpit though. It seems now that the teams daren't do the doping, whereas the team doctor used to carry enough gear to make David Lee an England hopeful, so the riders are having to do it on their own. You only had to hear last year the 3 x Olympic medalist Bradley Wiggins ranting about how him and other avowedly clean riders had crawled over the finish line just within the disqualification cut off whilst no-marks were miles ahead of them to realise that there is still work to be done. But they are addressing it, the first sport IMO to genuinely do so.

He looked like he had a major point to prove at the trials last week. Do kind of feel sorry for him as he did actually deserve to get there on merit this time. But he's done what he's done in the past though and he knew the consequences of his actions at the time. It's sad really as he looked like he just might do something in them.

Another who will be shoved under the wasted talent pile.

No latics fan who applauds Lee Hughes should say he doesn't deserve a 2nd chance.

You could argue, it was Dwayne's chance at to helping others and in the way Lee hughes has, put his head down - have a goal - and put something back?

I'm not saying I agree with anything. except I do think any latics fan who says he doesn't deserve a 2nd chance is very wrong. After all - whats worse?

Edited by pukka

No latics fan who applauds Lee Hughes should say he doesn't deserve a 2nd chance.

You could argue, it was Dwayne's chance at to helping others and in the way Lee hughes has, put his head down - have a goal - and put something back?

I'm not saying I agree with anything. except I do think any latics fan who says he doesn't deserve a 2nd chance is very wrong. After all - whats worse?

He has got his second chance though hasnt he, he still has a career. He can still race, he can still compete in the World, European and Commonwealth games. He knew the consequences of taking drugs but still did it.