Best Squad Since 02/03?

I agree with you gemma, however they are all even past thier best even at their time with latics in those seasons.... I think if you would have had Dux in the late nineties, or shez and lids when they first signed for us would have been a very interesting question... however in 02/03 & 08/09 respectively they are all unfortunately no where near their best at this club...

We all loved Dux... but not in 02/03..... and Lids was ok 2/3 years ago.... and as has been pointed out this is a question on a snapshot from said seasons, not as Latics players...

I know they were, thats what i just said, but as i have pointed out in my opinion i would still have those players in my team.

I know they were, thats what i just said, but as i have pointed out in my opinion i would still have those players in my team.

No you didnt! You said they were past thier best when they came to us... not that at the times of these teams they were past their best even during the time they were playing for us - which is my point, i'm not questioning your opinion!

Right... walking away now... you can have lids in your team... :wink:

The defence from that year would have been a good defence for what is now the championship nevermind this division and most of the players we struggled to keep when it all went tits up were the defensive ones. However when Wijnhard went missing/injured we struggled to score unless it was a set-piece and this is why we tailed off towards the end. When you are better than the opposition you need good forwards to get you a win when the opposition are playing for a draw and that year we just did not have the quality up front. This year we have better quality up front (provided they stay fit especially Hughes) and we now have a midfield that looks like it might be able to do something as opposed to being by-passed a lot. The squad from Dowie's year would have probably gone up in a lot of seasons but with Cardiff, Wigan, QPR, Bristol City and whoever went up automatically there was a lot of quality about which I think there is less of this year. Personally I'd take the Dowie squad by a nose, but I think this years may do better.

Hills at Palace, Halls at QPR which speaks for itself. What about if we had Gregan in 03???

Other thing with Armstrong is he played quite a few games in centre mid and looked the part.

My XI out of the two squads would be:-

Pogs

Eardly Hill Hall Armstrong

Taylor Murray Allott Eyres

Wijnhard Davies

Subs:-

Hughes

Liddell

Smalley

Stam

Crossley

I think Eardly and Taylor combining on the right would work really well and I hope they get a chance to play there together this season. Clint Hill and One Size were both excellent centre halves (besides Fleming and maybe Jobson the best I have ever see put on a Latics shirt). Armstrong was by far and away the best left back in our league. Murray had the ability to score goals and his link up play was quality on his day. Obviously Allott has proved all the doubters (including myself) wrong and has transformed from a useless striker to a very good central midfield player. Eyres = Legend. Wijnhard edges it over Huges purley on goals scored. Davies beats Andrews simply because no matter how badly he plays he never goes missing and always wants the ball, the same could not be said for andres, they are very similar players tho.

Well, I think this is way too early to be doing, considering we A. Don't know our starting 11 and B. Haven't even seen the current squad in a competitive game.

However, when we do compare the 2 squads in terms of numbers, this is the first squad to match that of 02/03 man for man. This is a major positive, especially when we look at where we finished back then. Though if Shez gets us to where we finished under Dowie, that'd be the bigger achievement by far. Shez, now in his 3rd year with us, has built a side with big potential. Woah! Too much positivity up here. Bring me down, lads, bring me down...

Then again, Shez has already matched Dowie's finish, yet 02/03 is still deemed a success, yet Shez got stick for this first season. :huh:

Hills at Palace, Halls at QPR which speaks for itself. What about if we had Gregan in 03???

Other thing with Armstrong is he played quite a few games in centre mid and looked the part.

Wasn't Gregan playing for West Brom in the Prem then? (a class above what we could have realistically afforded and wanted to come to us) Alongside Chris Lucketti (now at Hudds)