Low - Liddell

Eyres - Taylor

Baudet - Smalley

Duxbury - Stephens

Corazzin - Hughes

Andrews - Davies

Killen - O'Grady

Wijnhard - Alessandra

Defensively the 02-03 squad is stronger Hazel and Gregan are good but Hill and Hall were a class apart and as we have no left back in this squad where in 02-03 we had the best one in the league in Armstrong.

In the middle of the park we are fairly even the 02-03 midfield had a few more goals in it I think Eyres got atleat 15 and Murray Dux and Tony Carss could all chip in.

Upfront Hughes and Davies are more than a match for Wijnhard and Andrews. and O'grady and Allesandra will contribute more than killen and Corrazin.

So overall IMHO its relatively even on paper.

I make it 12 - 7 to the new boys.

No BOSH?

Funnily enough me and BigFinn were chatting about the old boys last Monday and saying that although there were some very good players in that squad, there were a fair few not so good as well. Shez provided an awful lot of the passing ability on display in that midfield.

Pogliacomi – Crossley From that season, Pogs

Miskelly – Fleming Never seen Fleming play, but assuming he stops more shots than a block of wood, Fleming

Hill – Gregan Tough one. Gregan.

Hall Hazell Hall

Beharall – Stam Stam

Holden – Thompson Holden

Clegg – Eardley Eardley shades it

Armstrong – Lomax Armstrong

D Sheridan – Allott Allott

J Sheridan – Lee Shez

Appleby – Maher Dunno. Appleby was very useful for the 19 minutes he played for us. I’d rather have Maher in the squad

Murray - Whitaker Probably Whitaker, Murray wasn’t playing for a contract that year

Low – Liddell Liddell

Eyres – Taylor Eyres

Baudet – Smalley Smalley

Duxbury

Corazzin – Hughes Hughes

Andrews - Davies Davies. Andrews was cack.

Killen - O'Grady O’Grady

Wijnhard – Alessandra Wijnhard

No BOSH?

Funnily enough me and BigFinn were chatting about the old boys last Monday and saying that although there were some very good players in that squad, there were a fair few not so good as well. Shez provided an awful lot of the passing ability on display in that midfield.

Pogliacomi – Crossley From that season, Pogs

Miskelly – Fleming Never seen Fleming play, but assuming he stops more shots than a block of wood, Fleming

Hill – Gregan Tough one. Gregan.

Hall Hazell Hall

Beharall – Stam Stam

Holden – Thompson Holden

Clegg – Eardley Eardley shades it

Armstrong – Lomax Armstrong

D Sheridan – Allott Allott

J Sheridan – Lee Shez

Appleby – Maher Dunno. Appleby was very useful for the 19 minutes he played for us. I’d rather have Maher in the squad

Murray - Whitaker Probably Whitaker, Murray wasn’t playing for a contract that year

Low – Liddell Liddell

Eyres – Taylor Eyres

Baudet – Smalley Smalley

Duxbury

Corazzin – Hughes Hughes

Andrews - Davies Davies. Andrews was cack.

Killen - O'Grady O’Grady

Wijnhard – Alessandra Wijnhard

I think Hill was better than Gregan is now. However, he was injured for most of the season in question. Having said that, Haining emerged and was awesome in that first season.

I think Hill was better than Gregan is now. However, he was injured for most of the season in question. Having said that, Haining emerged and was awesome in that first season.

Forgot about Haining & Carss to be honest.... Big squad that wasn't it?!

This is my 11 from the 2 squads think it would take some beating

Pogliacomi

Eardley Hall Hill Armstrong

Taylor Murray Allott Eyres

Davies Hughes

so 6-5 to the 02-03 boys but this season hasn't started yet and the best comparison would be once I have seen the new team play a number of games.

I still agree with our conclusion on monday, and yours above, to be honest, other than that defence that team wasnt much kop.... it relied heavily on wijnhard, and after getting injured we struggled to score... the midfield (wing backs Armstrong and Eyres excluded) was to be honest, solid at best.... I find it hard to believe that John Eyre or Mini-shez would get in a team ahead of Maher, Allott or Whitaker... even murray was, most of the time, little more than workmanlike at best.

What that team however had was fitness... we scraped so many points in outworking teams in the last 5 mins... it was a team build on a rock solid back line and a massive work ethic... if we can get the work ethic right then i'm absolutely convinced that this team would batter the 02/03 team... the 02/03 team didnt really have a plan B (give it to the wingbacks and outwork them) and there is so much versatility in the current squad....

The potential of this team is also far greater... we have a better balance of youth and experience... and it also doesnt have Baudet so wins hands down!

Defensively the 02-03 squad is stronger Hazel and Gregan are good but Hill and Hall were a class apart and as we have no left back in this squad where in 02-03 we had the best one in the league in Armstrong.

does he still get a game at sheff united???

i know they have played him at winger from time to time too, i always thought him and the 'pensioner' were awesome when they went on those overlapping runs.....

he can't be too old either...

anyone like to see him back at BP???

Edited by thetramdriver

I still agree with our conclusion on monday, and yours above, to be honest, other than that defence that team wasnt much kop.... it relied heavily on wijnhard, and after getting injured we struggled to score... the midfield (wing backs Armstrong and Eyres excluded) was to be honest, solid at best.... I find it hard to believe that John Eyre or Mini-shez would get in a team ahead of Maher, Allott or Whitaker... even murray was, most of the time, little more than workmanlike at best.

What that team however had was fitness... we scraped so many points in outworking teams in the last 5 mins... it was a team build on a rock solid back line and a massive work ethic... if we can get the work ethic right then i'm absolutely convinced that this team would batter the 02/03 team... the 02/03 team didnt really have a plan B (give it to the wingbacks and outwork them) and there is so much versatility in the current squad....

The potential of this team is also far greater... we have a better balance of youth and experience... and it also doesnt have Baudet so wins hands down!

I thought John Eyre was great at around that time - in a very Allott-esque way.

I thought John Eyre was great at around that time - in a very Allott-esque way.

Absolutely agree... but I just think Allott has the edge, just think he is a bit more mobile than Eyre... always felt Eyre was just about to get out of his comfort zone in so many situations... Allott does the simple stuff a lot easier, and takes on far more work.... Eyre was always bolstered by mini-shez and murray... wheras Allott last season had to pretty much do everything himself.... dont forget how much allott played on the right last year too, and still looked like he was involved with everything.... think if you would have put Eyre on the right we would have wet himself... :wink:

Should be good to see Allott in a better midfield next season... with Maher/Eardley to help out on the leg work...

Pogliacomi - Crossley

Miskelly - Fleming

Hill - Gregan

Hall - Hazell

Beharall - Stam

Holden - Thompson

Clegg - Eardley

Armstrong - Lomax

Haining

D Sheridan - Allott

J Sheridan - Lee

Appleby - Maher

Murray - Whitaker

Low - Liddell

Eyres - Taylor

Baudet - Smalley

Duxbury - Stephens

Eyre

Carss

Corazzin - Hughes

Andrews - Davies

Killen - O'Grady

Wijnhard - Alessandra

Vernon

My team would be

Crossley

Liddell Duxbury J.Sheridan Eyres

Wijnard Andrews

bench

Pogs

Hughes

Murray

Smalley

Gregan

My team would be

Crossley

Liddell Duxbury J.Sheridan Eyres

Wijnard Andrews

Bloody hell gemma, you like 'em old... that midfield belongs in a care home...

maybe at thier pomp that would have worked, but those 4 would let battered off the pitch on 08/09 & 02/03 teams.... only Eyresy would be anywhere near the team, even Shez by 02/03 needed to be carried....

... and i'm sorry, but even you have to admit that Liddell shouldnt even be a starter now, never mind one of the best 11 from the current squad and that team...

... and dont get me started on Wijnhard and Andrews up front!!! Wijnhard fit and firing may be there... but andrews wouldnt even get in our current squad!

You're not comparing the two now. You compare the 2002/03 team as it was then.

The 02/03 starting 11 was by far better than the starting 11 we have now. The squad depth though wasnt much cop. Which is what the thread question actually is. Squad depth, this years squad pips it. Starting 11, there'd only be one winner. Unfortunately that team got put together in a year when the league was at it's strongest.

The defence from that year would have been a good defence for what is now the championship nevermind this division and most of the players we struggled to keep when it all went tits up were the defensive ones. However when Wijnhard went missing/injured we struggled to score unless it was a set-piece and this is why we tailed off towards the end. When you are better than the opposition you need good forwards to get you a win when the opposition are playing for a draw and that year we just did not have the quality up front. This year we have better quality up front (provided they stay fit especially Hughes) and we now have a midfield that looks like it might be able to do something as opposed to being by-passed a lot. The squad from Dowie's year would have probably gone up in a lot of seasons but with Cardiff, Wigan, QPR, Bristol City and whoever went up automatically there was a lot of quality about which I think there is less of this year. Personally I'd take the Dowie squad by a nose, but I think this years may do better.

You're not comparing the two now. You compare the 2002/03 team as it was then.

The 02/03 starting 11 was by far better than the starting 11 we have now. The squad depth though wasnt much cop. Which is what the thread question actually is. Squad depth, this years squad pips it. Starting 11, there'd only be one winner. Unfortunately that team got put together in a year when the league was at it's strongest.

I perfectly understand that thank you. I'd hedge a bet that all for of those players were over 35 in respective teams, hence my comment. At 02/03 Shez & dux were past thier best, as Liddell is now. None of these players were in the starting 11 in the respective seasons.

I think people are deluded to how good the 02/03 team was. The defence was great, good wing backs, and Wijnhard. The rest were decidedly average, but with the best fitness and work ethic ever seen at this club.

The team (and squad) would beat them - if they could match thier fitness.

maybe at thier pomp that would have worked, but those 4 would let battered off the pitch on 08/09 & 02/03 teams.... only Eyresy would be anywhere near the team, even Shez by 02/03 needed to be carried....

... and i'm sorry, but even you have to admit that Liddell shouldnt even be a starter now, never mind one of the best 11 from the current squad and that team...

... and dont get me started on Wijnhard and Andrews up front!!! Wijnhard fit and firing may be there... but andrews wouldnt even get in our current squad!

As they were in 02/03 i would have them in before any of the others, though i wasn't sure between Shez and Murray or even a 5 in midfield but as i only thought about it for about 5 minutes to pass some time at work whilst listeneing to a customer complain on the phone to me i didnt really take it all that seriously, it was just a lighthearted post

The team i just put up it was a choice of Lids or Low and i have never rated Low, Lids is a ten times better player than Low in my opinion. As for Lids starting this season yes i do think he should start games, not all but some, he and Smalley are both good enough to and both bring different things to the team and i think its excellent that we have those two fighting for a starting spot. I think Lids will start more games than many people are expecting. We'll find out soon enough. What people forget, and someone mentioned it on another thread, when Lids player last season he (and others as well) was still putting decent balls into the box but no-one was getting on the end of them.

I quite liked Andrews and he has improved since he left us from what i've seen. Its all about opinions though isn't it, everyone has different ideas of who the best and worst players are

Edited by Gemma06

Each to their own but I am amazed that you would start with Andrews over Hughes Gemma. As soon as players learnt that they didn't need to bother fouling him when he was away he offered very little.

I didnt think Hughes and Wijnard would play very well together and i prefer Andrews over Davies (though i think he will improve this season) and i have only seen O'Grady play for us in one friendly so can't really form an opinion on him yet

Anyway as my team selection has gone down so well back to work for me!

I perfectly understand that thank you. I'd hedge a bet that all for of those players were over 35 in respective teams, hence my comment. At 02/03 Shez & dux were past thier best, as Liddell is now. None of these players were in the starting 11 in the respective seasons.

I think people are deluded to how good the 02/03 team was. The defence was great, good wing backs, and Wijnhard. The rest were decidedly average, but with the best fitness and work ethic ever seen at this club.

The team (and squad) would beat them - if they could match thier fitness.

Sheridan was always past his best when he was playing for, and Lids for that matter, thats why they were playing us. Lee Duxbury is my favourite ever latics player, even after seeing Roger Palmer, Earl Barrett and all the other greats from our 'glory years' so thats why i went for him, that season was his last and his legs had gone a bit but when he did play that season he was fantastic as Dowie numerous times that season.

Sheridan was always past his best when he was playing for, and Lids for that matter, thats why they were playing us. Lee Duxbury is my favourite ever latics player, even after seeing Roger Palmer, Earl Barrett and all the other greats from our 'glory years' so thats why i went for him, that season was his last and his legs had gone a bit but when he did play that season he was fantastic as Dowie numerous times that season.

I agree with you gemma, however they are all even past thier best even at their time with latics in those seasons.... I think if you would have had Dux in the late nineties, or shez and lids when they first signed for us would have been a very interesting question... however in 02/03 & 08/09 respectively they are all unfortunately no where near their best at this club...

We all loved Dux... but not in 02/03..... and Lids was ok 2/3 years ago.... and as has been pointed out this is a question on a snapshot from said seasons, not as Latics players...

Edited by BigfinLatic