sir bobby close to dying

Sport: Football

Philosophical Robson accepts fate

Sir Bobby Robson has admitted his latest cancer battle is one he cannot win but the former England manager is remaining philosophical about the situation.

In a tear-jerking interview with The Sun, the Newcastle United favourite has revealed that the disease has spread to his lungs and the 75-year-old is prepared for the worst.

After winning 20 caps for his country in his playing days, Robson went on to coach England and take them to the World Cup semi-finals in 1990. His last five years in management were spent on Tyneside, a dream job for the County Durham-born legend.

"I have accepted what they have told me and I am determined to make the most of what time I have left," he told The Sun.

"I have been fortunate to survive this long. It is thanks to my doctors and their dedication.

"My condition is described as static and has not altered since my last bout of chemotherapy. They have arrested the growth of the tumours on my lungs and I have my next scan shortly.

"I am going to die sooner rather than later. But then everyone has to go sometime and I have enjoyed every minute.

"I don’t even think about it and my biggest problem today was unrelated, just old-fashioned laryngitis

This is quite sad (although not unexpected news- he has had Cancer before). Sir Bobby is a England legend and up here in the NE he his treated with almost God like status (not without good reason) and even Sunderland fans like him (which isn't all that common since he is a Magpie through and through). Football will have lost a true legend when he goes and there are many people who will be worse off for him not being here. It's good to see he is so philosphical about it and I would like to echo some of the sentiments already expressed.

A lovely, lovely man who is probably my favorite England manager of recent times. Won the FA Cup and UEFA Cup with unfashionable Ipswich and were twice within a whisker of the 1st Div title being runners up in both 81 & 82.

Very Knowledgeable guy from a bygone era and a true gent in every sense of the word.

I hope he can keep going for a little while longer and bask in the memories of his wonderful career in Football.

A fine example to us all.......Good Luck Bobby Robson!!

A lovely, lovely man who is probably my favorite England manager of recent times. Won the FA Cup and UEFA Cup with unfashionable Ipswich and were twice within a whisker of the 1st Div title being runners up in both 81 & 82.

Very Knowledgeable guy from a bygone era and a true gent in every sense of the word.

I hope he can keep going for a little while longer and bask in the memories of his wonderful career in Football.

A fine example to us all.......Good Luck Bobby Robson!!

he led Newcastle to new greats really finishing 4th then 3rd and with the squad he had aswell it wasnt the best.

he is probably the best english manager ive seen, by that i mean with domestic clubs because of what he did with

Newcastle.

he seems to be a gentleman and he will be missed when he goes.

only thing i dont like him for is that he persuaded alex ferguson to stay at scum but ill let him off this once.

knighted by his own right

SIR BOBBY ROBSON = FOOTBALL LEGEND

• 2 weeks later...
Guest gillianfn

Sadly, Bobby Robson has Malignant Melanoma. There was a really moving article in The Times that really made me cry when I read it http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/foo...icle3908405.ece But once I had read it and saw how his charity had taken off and how much they have achieved in a short space of time, I vowed to continue my work on Factor 50, no matter how long it takes. I will get that trial brought to England, so that one day people like Sir Bobby, Jon, Ernie, Claire and all the others will have a chance.

cant speak highly enough of this guy a true football legend and a gentleman to the core - imopthe greatest england manger in my lifetime - - other mangers should look to this guy on how to project themselves as well as of course his natural football leadership

this will definitely be a sad loss in every sense of the word