Parallel's with 90/91

the football we played in 89/90 was wonderful to watch but Joe Royle often stated, we had a few 'paper-tigers' away from home. The year after, the football was decent to watch but we grew cahonies, especially away from home and nicking wins at previous bogey grounds such as Barnsley, Middlesbrough, Plymouth, Portsmouth etc... what i have noticed already this season is a similar desire to not be beaten. Although our strikers didn't play particularly well yesterdaty, we nicked a goal from a centre-half then held on to it. You do that you always have a chance and teams who do well manage to survive the onslaughts away from home then push on.

One thing that does concern me is that in every game this season it has took us 15-20 mins to get into the game properly, now at the moment we're getting away with it BUT it will eventually start costing us goals and points. MK Mongs will be no mugs so I want us to come out flying. The longer we stay unbeaten the more the confidence flows.

the football we played in 89/90 was wonderful to watch but Joe Royle often stated, we had a few 'paper-tigers' away from home. The year after, the football was decent to watch but we grew cahonies, especially away from home and nicking wins at previous bogey grounds such as Barnsley, Middlesbrough, Plymouth, Portsmouth etc... what i have noticed already this season is a similar desire to not be beaten. Although our strikers didn't play particularly well yesterdaty, we nicked a goal from a centre-half then held on to it. You do that you always have a chance and teams who do well manage to survive the onslaughts away from home then push on.

One thing that does concern me is that in every game this season it has took us 15-20 mins to get into the game properly, now at the moment we're getting away with it BUT it will eventually start costing us goals and points. MK Mongs will be no mugs so I want us to come out flying. The longer we stay unbeaten the more the confidence flows.

Yes simularities indeed Prozac, however we aint no where near as good a side! As regard to the first 15-20 mins I said in an earlier post I feel we are toughin it out takin the sting out the oppo and earning the right later in the game to get our passing game going and turning the screw in the later stages. Long may it continue with the added spice of the front line firing. I must say I thought Craig run his nuts off for the cause yesterday.

Edited by Lags

A slow start is acceptable as long as you don't concede. Away from home it is to be expected. I know what you mean though!

Yes simularities indeed Prozac, however we aint no where near as good a side! As regard to the first 15-20 mins I said in an earlier post I feel we are toughin it out takin the sting out the oppo and earning the right later in the game to get our passing game going and turning the screw in the later stages. Long may it continue with the added spice of the front line firing. I must say I thought Craig run his nuts off for the cause yesterday.

Of course we are nowhere near as good, but we have the similar ability that side had in grinding out results away from home. Actually maybe comparisons with the Championship side on any level are a little premature, perhaps this team is more akin to Dowie's side in 02/03. A big squad with plaenty of options to mix it up if need be and goals hopefully from all areas. Anyhow we've got through the first 5 unbeaten. Let's see what we can do in the next 5............3 of them at home vs Mongs, Hudds and Hereford.

Of course we are nowhere near as good, but we have the similar ability that side had in grinding out results away from home. Actually maybe comparisons with the Championship side on any level are a little premature, perhaps this team is more akin to Dowie's side in 02/03. A big squad with plaenty of options to mix it up if need be and goals hopefully from all areas. Anyhow we've got through the first 5 unbeaten. Let's see what we can do in the next 5............3 of them at home vs Mongs, Hudds and Hereford.

What I have liked so far, is the fact that we are playing in the oppositions half, and pushing them back at the end of a game. Rather than dropping back trying to defend, which only gives teams more confidence to pile everyone forward and grab a late goal.

whats pleasing is we seem to be going for it at home from the off,when in previous seasons the first 15 mins were not good and we conceded some silly goals.....looks like bp is being defended to the hilt and its our stronghold...

away from home you always expect the home team to come out all guns blazing,and like has been said its as though were stifling there play to get them exasperated and play nervous edgy foorball......then come out for the second half and wipe the floor with them.....

if we win our home games and draw the aways we will go up,if we can get the odd win away from home as well then all the better.