Berlin

monkeykieran

Hi all, I'm off to Berlin for the weekend for the first time. Anyone got any suggestions for things that you may have done that were slightly out of the usual or interesting?

Thanks

Went there for my stag do about 4 months ago... but it really depends what you are into, and what you define as 'out of the usual or interesting' ...

Going to watch Hertha was wicked, great stadium, great atmos, 8 euro a ticket and beer, beer and more beer in the stadium...

However, i have to say most of the weekend was spent listening to very dirty techno, which Berlin is most definitely the european capital of... if clubbing is what you are after, check our either Panorama bar or Bar 25... the latter which is actually basically a shack behind the berlin wall, which also doubles as a circus... with amazing music... if not slightly bizarre when you have just gone 3 days without sleep...

Lots of cool stuff... and watch out for them berliners, they are officially mental... none of the gits work as the state pays for them to do what they want, and weekends officially start on thursday and go on till tuesday....

fantastic place....

listening to very dirty techno, which Berlin is most definitely the european capital of... if clubbing is what you are after, check our either Panorama bar or Bar 25... the latter which is actually basically a shack behind the berlin wall, which also doubles as a circus... with amazing music... if not slightly bizarre when you have just gone 3 days without sleep...
well that's what I'm there for (for the first 3 days)! :grin: berghain, panorama bar, tresor...

But I was hoping to do some random odd bits and bobs on Monday and Tuesday if possible!!

I used to live in Berlin 83-86 and went back there on holiday 2005. One place we also used to go was a novelty bar in Charlottenburg called Klo's (think that's the right spelling). I think Klo is german slang for toilet, and everything in there is toilet based. Drinks come in Pottys or specimin jars. Some of the tables move like there is an earthquake while your sat at them. Place is usually packed, so you have to get in early. Hope that helps, and hope its still open.

There are alos a lot of gentlemans clubs near Charlottenburg railway station, if that's your bag.

KtF

Guest oa_exile
There are alos a lot of gentlemans clubs near Charlottenburg railway station, if that's your bag.

Shocking ! :shock:

Any chance you can give monkeykieran the route map so he can go directly from the airport :lol:

Shocking ! :shock:

Any chance you can give monkeykieran the route map so he can go directly from the airport :lol:

haha no need for that sort of service for me but thanks

Oh and I'm also staying with friends who live there. All they want to do when I'm there is get wasted but I'm hoping not to completely miss the whole experience of the city. The toilet bar sound very funny

haha no need for that sort of service for me but thanks

Oh and I'm also staying with friends who live there. All they want to do when I'm there is get wasted but I'm hoping not to completely miss the whole experience of the city. The toilet bar sound very funny

Going up the top of the Reichstag is actually worth it if you want an hour or so off the sauce. I found it really striking to see where the wall wasn't, if that makes any sense. It made sense when I realised that every big corporation had gone out of it's way to put something really big and flashy over the minging grey Commie bits of the city by way of comparison, but it's sort of odd now the divide isn't there. That said, if you want to check out any of the older Berlin, the East quarter is (oddly) the place to go. I would have loved to have had time to check out the old East German Parliament building, just to see how wrong modern architecture can get, but down that side there is a lot of the old city left, and nice little bars and so on.

Going up the top of the Reichstag is actually worth it if you want an hour or so off the sauce. I found it really striking to see where the wall wasn't, if that makes any sense. It made sense when I realised that every big corporation had gone out of it's way to put something really big and flashy over the minging grey Commie bits of the city by way of comparison, but it's sort of odd now the divide isn't there. That said, if you want to check out any of the older Berlin, the East quarter is (oddly) the place to go. I would have loved to have had time to check out the old East German Parliament building, just to see how wrong modern architecture can get, but down that side there is a lot of the old city left, and nice little bars and so on.
Brilliant that's really useful thanks