Bench on Saturday ?

Davies or O'Grady ???

Surprisingly after a decent 90min runout at Tranmere, Davies was left out of the 16 vs. the franchise. Now I understand that this is further evidence of out new squad depth, but as an option from the bench surely Davies is more of an impact player.

I think that on Sat Shez was unsure how much of the match Hughesy would last and given the physical presence of their back 4, maybe he felt 30-45mins that O'Grady has more of the physical Hughesy attributes to take the weight off Lewi ??? Just a query really, cos that's how I read it.

Both looked decent against Bury and took their respective goals excellently, especially Craig's volley !!

I would like to see Davies given a run with Hughes given the partnership they put together last season but can you drop Lewi?!. O'Grady now looks to be finding his feet after the Tranmere showing so a nice problem for Shez to have.

Now with The Wolf back in training will we see him move on maybe a loan? nowhere near the squad of 16 would be 5th choice behind Deano.

Anyone know how that United lad is doing Williams, didn't he come with a big reputation?

I would like to see Davies given a run with Hughes given the partnership they put together last season but can you drop Lewi?!. O'Grady now looks to be finding his feet after the Tranmere showing so a nice problem for Shez to have.

Now with The Wolf back in training will we see him move on maybe a loan? nowhere near the squad of 16 would be 5th choice behind Deano.

Anyone know how that United lad is doing Williams, didn't he come with a big reputation?

Away from home I'd certainly be taking Davies along, as for counter attacking football his pace is excellent. At home, maybe the presence of O'Grady is a better option as we should be on the front foot there.

I thought the United lad was to be out for ages.

The OS stated a while back Williams wouldn't be in contention even for full time training until Christmas, so he's out of the equation for a while yet. With five subs named, obviously Fleming takes one spot. so if you had a player on the bench from each dept. back, mid and front that leaves one spot remaining, so home I guess a front place and away maybe a middle place. Or do you go with who the oppo is and their style of play? That's what Sheridan and his team are paid for. However I think I'd have a fit and in the right frame of mind Davies at least on the bench.

Edited by Lags

Davies or O'Grady ???

Surprisingly after a decent 90min runout at Tranmere, Davies was left out of the 16 vs. the franchise. Now I understand that this is further evidence of out new squad depth, but as an option from the bench surely Davies is more of an impact player.

I think that on Sat Shez was unsure how much of the match Hughesy would last and given the physical presence of their back 4, maybe he felt 30-45mins that O'Grady has more of the physical Hughesy attributes to take the weight off Lewi ??? Just a query really, cos that's how I read it.

Both looked decent against Bury and took their respective goals excellently, especially Craig's volley !!

It was my understanding that Davies wasn't included in the squad for showing up late to training sessions. If he is "forgiven" then I would expect him to start with Hughsey, and have Lewi on the bench. If he is still being a bad boy, or has not shown the right amount of application to warrant a place in the starting 11 or even the squad again..... then he will either be on the bench or in the stands as appropriate.

I think Davies would be better suited at Hartlepool. I think we'll be trying to play on the break there as coupled with our poor record over the years and how strong the monkey hangers usually are at home it's pretty important we keep a strong back line and holding midfield. Pace will be the key, and of course Davies scored up there last season.

David Williams United striker around 6 weeks from ftiness from 7th July :wink: so this week then..

Oldham Athletic have signed former Manchester United striker David Williams.

The 17-year-old was released by the Premiership Champions earlier in the summer.

Williams told his new club’s official website: “The damage needed an operation and I’m still about six weeks away from fitness, but I’m so pleased to be here and the physios have been brilliant with me so far.

“It’s frustrating, because when you join a new club you want to be out on the training ground and getting to know the lads. But I’ll have to patient on that front, and hopefully my chance will come.”

He continued: “I’m swimming at the moment but to be honest there’s not really much more I can do, so it’s really a case of taking things step by step. Running is about three weeks away and that’s when I’ll really be able to step it up.

“I think I’m a player who can make things happen as well as score a few goals and I can’t wait to get an opportunity to express myself when I get fit.”

He added: “I’ve been speaking to [Oldham striker] Lee Hughes already - he’s a player with lots of experience and I know I still have lots to learn.

“I’m looking forward to working with players like Lee and Craig Davies because they are very good at what they do.

“Obviously I will have to play a few games at reserve level first, but I want to be pushing for the first team eventually - that’s my aim.”

It was my understanding that Davies wasn't included in the squad for showing up late to training sessions. If he is "forgiven" then I would expect him to start with Hughsey, and have Lewi on the bench. If he is still being a bad boy, or has not shown the right amount of application to warrant a place in the starting 11 or even the squad again..... then he will either be on the bench or in the stands as appropriate.

yes he was dropped for turning up late for training twice.

tough decision because on his day davies is the perfect foil for hughes and vice versa....but if he cant get his :censored: together you wouldnt want him sulking around the place having a negative effect on the team,you know what its like when a sulky kids trys to get backing,before you know it 3 or 4 who arent playing start his tricks.....

give him another chance,but if he cant do it or wont do it send him out on loan,get him fit and see what his attitudes like then...

lewi hasnt done anything wrong so be a bit harsh dropping him just for the sake of someone else getting a game.

lewi hasnt done anything wrong so be a bit harsh dropping him just for the sake of someone else getting a game.

Don't get me wrong, I like Lewi........ I just question his scoring ability....... and we cannot rely on Hughsey getting ALL the goals.

I think Davies is a better player, even if he is frustrating at times.

Don't get me wrong, I like Lewi........ I just question his scoring ability....... and we cannot rely on Hughsey getting ALL the goals.

I think Davies is a better player, even if he is frustrating at times.

Young Lewis does need to get the hang of kicking a ball towards a net, but his link up play is a million times better than CD's and is bound to help the midfield get in on the act. I would go with him on Saturday with COG on the bench. He offers more of an alternative option IMO and is pretty much as fast as Davies if you are looking for pace towards the end of the match. But so long as Hughesys' danglers are OK we'll be fine with any combination of them.

got to increase to seven subs next season, i see no reason for the lack of parity

AYE it's frustrating ... although we'd have been embarrassed a lot last year with 7 subs !! (or 3/4 in out case :grin: )

Davies is definately not a better player than Lewi, although they are obviously completely different types of players. All Lewi needs is transfer the confidence and close control and tricks he uses when linking play to when he has a chance to run at players / shoot, then we have a SERIOUS talent here. He scored goals like that at youth team level BUT seems to lack the speed off the mark ... hopefully it will come cos an ever-improving lewi and hughesy fit will take us to the championship.

Davies' attitude seemed better on Wednesday, tho unless shez went down to pitchside from the stands then he missed Davies' volley and a decent 2nd half performance ... reckon O'Grady will b on bench but Davies should be :huh: