Demar Phillips...

I have no problem if Lids gets dropped but only when we have a better player in his place. Taylor will beat his man but its the crossing bit, he just cant do it consistantly whether its with his left or right foot, and you need at least one winger who will put decent balls into the box - im not saying lids does it every single time but there is no-one at the club better than him at doing that at the minute.

I agree that Liddell puts across quality crosses as he did earlier this season, but he needs to be given the space to do that. He's not the player to do a quick trick to make that space. So in recent games he has been marked a lot closer and his ability to put in a good cross has been negated. Time to look at someone who can make the defenders work harder.

back to phillips...

i get a slight feeling something may happen in jan,thats of course shez is still interested.

we haven't bowed to stoke's money demands,so they lost that game of poker.

he's still rotting away in the stiffs there.

he liked it here.

his contract will soon (i think) become invalid by the immigration because he's not played the appropiate amount of games to warrant a work permit. stoke will have a duty to him to help him find employment before that situation arises.

time of course will tell.

The bottom line for me with Jones is that he looks at lot better player going forward than he does defending.

Which when you are in the team as a defender is a big problem.

We have definately leaked more goals since he arrived and I think Lomax was doing a better job at left back than Jones has since he took over.

That doesn't mean I don't rate Jones as a player just not as a defender, I think he needs to play further up the pitch with a proper Left back behind him.

I never said that.

The goals you refer to:

Davies fouled Dyer (?) for the free kick, which is in no way Jones' fault...the fact he had the ball in that area is a pretty petty point IMO.

Stockport: I wouldn't say that giving away a throw in is a sign of poor defending...they give the ball to right winger and Jonesy deals with it. Let's not ignore the fact that Jones was touted as MOM following his debut performance...

The Yeovil free kick, I can't be bothered to look through the highlights, was it even Jones that gave away the free kick? I genuinely can't remember!

Seemed like you were, but that's the folly of discussing things on MBs...comments and opinions get misconstrued.

I would. As a few people on here will testify, I think there is nothing better than seeing an opposition player needlessly putting the ball out of play. Sign of a very bad defender.

I would. As a few people on here will testify, I think there is nothing better than seeing an opposition player needlessly putting the ball out of play. Sign of a very bad defender.

Can you remember if the ball was put needlessly out of play for the Stockport goals?

thats got to be one of the worst comments i've heard on here for a long time,incredible.

Can you remember if the ball was put needlessly out of play for the Stockport goals?

Just had a look on LW...the first goal comes from the right hand side after Norm kicks it out for a throw, short throw, Eards and Allott both on the County player who crosses in, flick on goal. Nothing to do with Jones.

The second one was Jones who put it out...makes a good tackle to win the ball and then noone comes for him so he's forced to try and play a long ball before the incoming tackle, which he spoons. If you really, really want to find a scapegoat, then there's the tiniest bit of culpability for the goal...although I'd say the guys in the box who allowed the flick on goal were slightly more to blame.

That said, they're not this month's whipping boy so don't worry about it.

Just had a look on LW...the first goal comes from the right hand side after Norm kicks it out for a throw, short throw, Eards and Allott both on the County player who crosses in, flick on goal. Nothing to do with Jones.

The second one was Jones who put it out...makes a good tackle to win the ball and then noone comes for him so he's forced to try and play a long ball before the incoming tackle, which he spoons. If you really, really want to find a scapegoat, then there's the tiniest bit of culpability for the goal...although I'd say the guys in the box who allowed the flick on goal were slightly more to blame.

That said, they're not this month's whipping boy so don't worry about it.

I still think you are missing my point here. I've said in my previous posts that I think that Jones is a good player. In fact I'll clarify that. I think Jones is a very good player. I hope that is clear in the nicest possible way. :wink:

My point was and still is this. IN MY OPINION, his signing has unbalanced us. There is a change of emphasis on the left hand side. Whilst it is certainly more attacking and for us fans that has to be a plus, I think it has left us a little more open in defence. That is not a critisism of the player or using him as a scapegoat. Again, IN MY OPINION, Kelvin does not pose the attacking threat that Jones does, so tends to stay back more, thus providing us with more defensive cover on the left.

We all know that we have dropped off in recent weeks and defensively we do not look as strong as we did at the start of the season (bar the 1st 60 minutes against Millwall) Everyone is wondering why. I just threw in my own opinion. It is not a critisism of the players just an honest held belief that the reasons I put forward are partly behind the fall in form and results. I may be right I might not.

It's strange that someone mentioned earlier in the thread that most fans see our right back as the weak area. Whilst Neil's distribution can on occassion be described as woeful, I certainly do not see him as a weak link.

At the end of the day these are only opinions, I just hope that Shez has enough about him to identify the real problem and sort it out.

Cheers,

Harry

P.S. I'm not saying that Shez is the scapegoat in this :tongue1:

But there again he might be. :blahblah:

I would say that we are suffering from the change of direction down this side of the team and that the goals we have conceeded have come mainly from this area.

I still think you are missing my point here. I've said in my previous posts that I think that Jones is a good player. In fact I'll clarify that. I think Jones is a very good player. I hope that is clear in the nicest possible way. :wink:

My point was and still is this. IN MY OPINION, his signing has unbalanced us. There is a change of emphasis on the left hand side. Whilst it is certainly more attacking and for us fans that has to be a plus, I think it has left us a little more open in defence. That is not a critisism of the player or using him as a scapegoat. Again, IN MY OPINION, Kelvin does not pose the attacking threat that Jones does, so tends to stay back more, thus providing us with more defensive cover on the left.

We all know that we have dropped off in recent weeks and defensively we do not look as strong as we did at the start of the season (bar the 1st 60 minutes against Millwall) Everyone is wondering why. I just threw in my own opinion. It is not a critisism of the players just an honest held belief that the reasons I put forward are partly behind the fall in form and results. I may be right I might not.

It's strange that someone mentioned earlier in the thread that most fans see our right back as the weak area. Whilst Neil's distribution can on occassion be described as woeful, I certainly do not see him as a weak link.

At the end of the day these are only opinions, I just hope that Shez has enough about him to identify the real problem and sort it out.

Cheers,

Harry

P.S. I'm not saying that Shez is the scapegoat in this :tongue1:

But there again he might be. :blahblah:

I never said you didn't think he was a good player, was just pulling you up on that comment in particular. Agree on the rest of what you said above.

Jonesy for England :unsure:

This is complete bollocks. Jones isn't a left back yet he is still twice the left back Lomax will ever be. I think Lomax did a good job but he offered nothing more defensively than Jones does, and I dont believe anyone will bother debating that Jones is better going forward.

I dont like his orange boots but that is my only criticism about Jones.

As for people saying Lomax never let us down, I would like to point out he was woeful at Hartlepool