Demar Phillips...

Made just 2 league cup substititute appearences for Stoke, how about reviving our attempt to bring him in so we can bang him and his wicked pace on the left and bang Cristiano Taylos back on the right.

Good call ... but it will not happen he's on to much money and Stoke want to us to pay the full amount

Made just 2 league cup substititute appearences for Stoke, how about reviving our attempt to bring him in so we can bang him and his wicked pace on the left and bang Cristiano Taylos back on the right.

Or move Taylor to the right, put Jones in his proper position (IMO) on the left wing and stick Lomax back at LB. We don't need Demar.

Edited by boundaryblue80

Lomax played at Bristol

Putting Taylor on the right isnt the answer, it doesnt make him a better player,

Give him a run to prove it. He ain't gunna go back there and do it instantly...but he'll beat a man and get that cross in unlike on the left where he cuts inside. Jones and Taylor on left and right would see the first time we've had proper out and out wingers for a long time IMO. Or are we really discussing a certain player that would therefore be dropped if Taylor went to RW? :wink:

Jones is not a winger!!!! :angry:

Not what myself, nor Mick McCarthy think. He doesn't mark, he doesn't stop a man getting the ball in, but he does look a threat going forward and crossing. In the 2nd half at B.Rovers, he was the one who was giving us hope for getting back in the game. Seen every minute he's played and he's just not a LB IMO. No matter how many :angry: faces you want to pull :tongue:

Give him a run to prove it. He ain't gunna go back there and do it instantly...but he'll beat a man and get that cross in unlike on the left where he cuts inside. Jones and Taylor on left and right would see the first time we've had proper out and out wingers for a long time IMO. Or are we really discussing a certain player that would therefore be dropped if Taylor went to RW? :wink:

No Smalley should start instead of him :wink:

I have no problem if Lids gets dropped but only when we have a better player in his place. Taylor will beat his man but its the crossing bit, he just cant do it consistantly whether its with his left or right foot, and you need at least one winger who will put decent balls into the box - im not saying lids does it every single time but there is no-one at the club better than him at doing that at the minute.

Not what myself, nor Mick McCarthy think. He doesn't mark, he doesn't stop a man getting the ball in, but he does look a threat going forward and crossing. In the 2nd half at B.Rovers, he was the one who was giving us hope for getting back in the game. Seen every minute he's played and he's just not a LB IMO. No matter how many :angry: faces you want to pull :tongue:

It was wind :grin:

Looking a threat from full back when you are going forward, is a very different discipline than when going forward as an out and out winger. This discussion has been had about Taylor, when we have seen him at full back, however Taylor is more potent as a winger and vice versa with Jones imo!

Besides, i really do think that we have 'bigger worries' than these two at the moment

It was wind :grin:

Looking a threat from full back when you are going forward, is a very different discipline than when going forward as an out and out winger. This discussion has been had about Taylor, when we have seen him at full back, however Taylor is more potent as a winger and vice versa with Jones imo!

Besides, i really do think that we have 'bigger worries' than these two at the moment

Now that last sentence I whole-heartedly agree on...and for that reason I'd prefer (and feel much safer with) Lomax back in at LB! :grin:

Edited by boundaryblue80

I meant to start it with " A spokesman from the club said" :grin:

Hmmm. Now let me think. When did our problems start? 3rd October I do believe. Stockport away, the day Jones signed. Don't get me wrong, he cannot be totally to blame, it's just that I believe it unhinged and unblanced us despite him being a left footer.

Now it may be co-incidence, but I don't think it is. I actually like Jones, however, I believe that we are more vulnerable with him in the team and of the games I have seen him play (I didn't go to Bristol or Swindon) I would say that we are suffering from the change of direction down this side of the team and that the goals we have conceeded have come mainly from this area.

We may be more attack minded with him in the side, but attacking hasn't really been our problem. Defending has and I think we have been opened up more because of this change.

On reflection I would rather see young Kelvin in there and Jones back at Wolves.

It will be very interesting to see who the defender coming in is as I think that will be more important than the forward, be it Byfield, Cole or whoever.

Cheers,

Harry

We may be more attack minded with him in the side, but attacking hasn't really been our problem. Defending has and I think we have been opened up more because of this change.

Hmmmm. I reckon not notching in 3 of our last 4 represents something of a problem Harry.

For what it's worth mind, I'd like to see us go with Lomax at LB - we did well at the start of the season with him.

Hmmm. Now let me think. When did our problems start? 3rd October I do believe. Stockport away, the day Jones signed. Don't get me wrong, he cannot be totally to blame, it's just that I believe it unhinged and unblanced us despite him being a left footer.

Now it may be co-incidence, but I don't think it is. I actually like Jones, however, I believe that we are more vulnerable with him in the team and of the games I have seen him play (I didn't go to Bristol or Swindon) I would say that we are suffering from the change of direction down this side of the team and that the goals we have conceeded have come mainly from this area.

On reflection I would rather see young Kelvin in there and Jones back at Wolves.

It will be very interesting to see who the defender coming in is as I think that will be more important than the forward, be it Byfield, Cole or whoever.

Cheers,

Harry

Really? OK...

Stockport - Two from long throw ins, flick ons and into the goal...the other from Eardley being done by Raynes on the right

Hereford - No goals conceded

Bristol Rovers - Whitaker backs off in the middle allowing a free shot at goal, and another throw in, flick on, goal.

Swindon - Gregan goes walkabout for the first (which is a through ball down the middle to a defender), and Hughes handball for the penalty.

Scunthorpe - No goals conceded

Yeovil - Set piece and free header, second goal was a long ball...Warne peels off Greegs and puts it in.

So by my counting, Jones hasn't actually been at fault for ANY of the goals we've conceded...yet still, if we need to find someone to blame it's easy to look at the new boy.

EDIT: Leicester - forgot to put it in...free header from a free kick, and although the FK came from the LB position, it was Davies who gave it away.

Edited by jsslatic

Really? OK...

Stockport - Two from long throw ins, flick ons and into the goal...the other from Eardley being done by Raynes on the right

Bristol Rovers - Whitaker backs off in the middle allowing a free shot at goal, and another throw in, flick on, goal.

Swindon - Gregan goes walkabout for the first (which is a through ball down the middle to a defender), and Hughes handball for the penalty.

Yeovil - Set piece and free header, second goal was a long ball...Warne peels off Greegs and puts it in.

So by my counting, Jones hasn't actually been at fault for ANY of the goals we've conceded...yet still, if we need to find someone to blame it's easy to look at the new boy.

EDIT: Leicester - forgot to put it in...free header from a free kick, and although the FK came from the LB position, it was Davies who gave it away.

Stockport I can attribute 1 possibly 2 to young Danny, first goal yawning gap at the far-post where he should have been, second goal stood with his finger up his arse again nowhwere to be seen (however 4 or 5 others similarly guilty) But 1st goal defo his fault imo.

Edited by oafcprozac

For me - lomax has to play at left back....i can't remember ever feeling that he let the side down. He's been dropped when in all fairness, there was no need to drop him. This has happened to Lomax on a number of occasions and to be honest - i feel a little sorry for him. It's one of Shez' decisions that i disagree with...

The same thing happened early in the season with lewis. He was playing well with Hughes, the team WAS scoring goals and the only reason that Lewis didn't score was a lot of bad luck. He, like Kelivin, was dropped for O'grady and then Davies without really having reason to do so.

I don't dislike Jones, but as a left back i don't rate him at all. If he's going to play anywhere for us i'd prefer him on the left. Shez did start a game with him there and Taylor on the right but that lasted 10 minutes (albeit down to injury) - since then, it hasn't been tried again. Why? Did he see enough in those 10 minutes?

Somebody mentioned that by dropping Lids, we'd lose crossing ability. I agree that taylor struggles from the left with his crossing. For me, his best crosses come from his left foot when he swings his foot at it. Once he's cut back onto his right foot, he tends to have more time (which doesnt alweays help) and he has a almost dead ball. If he was charging down the right - i think his right footed crosses...at pace...would be excellent. He'd also have that extra option of cutting back onto his left after a couple of years experiance. Russel Slade constantly told his defender that Taylor always cut inside which is the case where he is. On the right - he could go either way.

I'm a big fan of Liddell - always have been - but i feel that now he can't gain that yard, he struggles to get any crosses of quality in. If you go back through the season - i would imagine eardley has put in as many crosses from the right as Liddell. Most of them after lay offs from AL becasue he no longer as the pace to pass his man.

Just my two cents

Really? OK...

You miss my point JSS.

Firstly I said that scoring goals hadn't been our problem. You say not scoring in 3 of our last 4 games suggests that it is a problem. Agreed. But we did not have that problem before Jones was in the side.

Secondly, I point out that in the games that I have seen since he signed that the majorityy of goals conceeded have come down his side. You list the goals and refer tho throws and flick ons etc. The point is they have still come from our left side. The oppo see it as our weak area. We give away too many throw ins in our own half, free kicks etc on that side because that is where the opposition are focusing. Leicesters goal, Yeovils first goal, were from free kicks in from our left. The sitter missed by Scunny in front of the Rocky road end. It is no co-incidence The 2 long throws for Stockports first two goals. Incidentally, Warne's goal on Saturday, where was the ball played in from?

The point I made in my original post was quite straightforward. Firtsly I made it clear that I like Jones as a player, but secondly, and this is the important point, I believe that his inclusion actually unbalances us and that is where the opposition target us. Sometimes your best players don't produce your best team.

I am not blaming Jones and in all honesty I don't think that you could pick anything out of any of the goals and say. "That was Jones's fault"

Its all about balance and although some would say that Kelvin is not as good a player as Jones, I believe we actually look more balanced with Lomax at left back, despite him being right footed. It's strange but it's just the way I see it. Not a critisism of Jones.

One thing I would say and earlier in the season I was singing his praises, but for me this last 3 weeks Gregan has looked off the pace and you can point the finger directly at his lack of concentration for a couple of the goals which is unlike him. I believe that he is probably 1 of the players that Shez referred to and his performances are also probably linked to the other issue that has been placed officially in the public domain today.

Cheers,

Harry

You miss my point JSS.

Firstly I said that scoring goals hadn't been our problem. You say not scoring in 3 of our last 4 games suggests that it is a problem. Agreed. But we did not have that problem before Jones was in the side.

Secondly, I point out that in the games that I have seen since he signed that the majorityy of goals conceeded have come down his side. You list the goals and refer tho throws and flick ons etc. The point is they have still come from our left side. The oppo see it as our weak area. We give away too many throw ins in our own half, free kicks etc on that side because that is where the opposition are focusing. Leicesters goal, Yeovils first goal, were from free kicks in from our left. The sitter missed by Scunny in front of the Rocky road end. It is no co-incidence The 2 long throws for Stockports first two goals. Incidentally, Warne's goal on Saturday, where was the ball played in from?

The point I made in my original post was quite straightforward. Firtsly I made it clear that I like Jones as a player, but secondly, and this is the important point, I believe that his inclusion actually unbalances us and that is where the opposition target us. Sometimes your best players don't produce your best team.

I am not blaming Jones and in all honesty I don't think that you could pick anything out of any of the goals and say. "That was Jones's fault"

Its all about balance and although some would say that Kelvin is not as good a player as Jones, I believe we actually look more balanced with Lomax at left back, despite him being right footed. It's strange but it's just the way I see it. Not a critisism of Jones.

One thing I would say and earlier in the season I was singing his praises, but for me this last 3 weeks Gregan has looked off the pace and you can point the finger directly at his lack of concentration for a couple of the goals which is unlike him. I believe that he is probably 1 of the players that Shez referred to and his performances are also probably linked to the other issue that has been placed officially in the public domain today.

Cheers,

Harry

I never said that.

The goals you refer to:

Davies fouled Dyer (?) for the free kick, which is in no way Jones' fault...the fact he had the ball in that area is a pretty petty point IMO.

Stockport: I wouldn't say that giving away a throw in is a sign of poor defending...they give the ball to right winger and Jonesy deals with it. Let's not ignore the fact that Jones was touted as MOM following his debut performance...

The Yeovil free kick, I can't be bothered to look through the highlights, was it even Jones that gave away the free kick? I genuinely can't remember!

Seemed like you were, but that's the folly of discussing things on MBs...comments and opinions get misconstrued.

Secondly, I point out that in the games that I have seen since he signed that the majorityy of goals conceeded have come down his side. You list the goals and refer tho throws and flick ons etc. The point is they have still come from our left side. The oppo see it as our weak area.

Which is ironic really as most of our fans seem to see our weak area as our right back.

Putting Taylor on the right isnt the answer, it doesnt automatically make him play any better

I tend to disagree - it is his natural foot - he doesnt have to go inside all the time - and his crossing will improve - he does well but defo do better with his natural foot!