Central Midfield

Does anyone think when teams put many men behind the ball, we just dont have the creativity this season to unlock a resolute defence? Allott and Whits are quite tidy and always seem to try and take the safer option. We seem more than able against the top teams who attack us more leaving more space.

Also away from home I feel we have maybe gone a bit too attacking. We opened brightly at Stockport, Bristol and Swindon and then got punished on the break. I feel we could maybe adopt a 433/451 when playing away and get a few more bodies in the centre of the park.

Does anyone think when teams put many men behind the ball, we just dont have the creativity this season to unlock a resolute defence? Allott and Whits are quite tidy and always seem to try and take the safer option. We seem more than able against the top teams who attack us more leaving more space.

Also away from home I feel we have maybe gone a bit too attacking. We opened brightly at Stockport, Bristol and Swindon and then got punished on the break. I feel we could maybe adopt a 433/451 when playing away and get a few more bodies in the centre of the park.

Whilst they're tidy, they're not particularly creative (although Whitaker was our best player by a mile on Saturday) and Allott has suffered from colour-blindness all season. Same as last season we are crying out for a Wellens type player to unlock defences such as Yeovil's. Maher could be the key, he's hardly had a chance and has been treated a tad unfairly and whilst Allott was superb last season Maher is a far better footballer.

The 'packed midfield' argument seems to vanish when we play Alessandra up front. He holds it up, and our midfield get forwards to support the strikers - we score more goals. We attack more, so don't look overwhelmed.

When he's not there to hold the ball up, we have severe problems and do get overwhelmed.

The Yeovil game was different. We should have won the game but simply had 11 poor performances out there. Even with the poor performances, we had enough clear chances to win on another day. Defence conceded two soft goals. Attackers missed easy chances and the 4 across the middle were poor, despite creating opportunities for themselves and the strikers.

Maher in for Allott? Perhaps. But it's not yet an overwhelming case.

Edited by opinions4u

The 'packed midfield' argument seems to vanish when we play Alessandra up front. He holds it up, and our midfield get forwards to support the strikers - we score more goals. We attack more, so don't look overwhelmed.

When he's not there to hold the ball up, we have severe problems and do get overwhelmed.

The Yeovil game was different. We should have won the game but simply had 11 poor performances out there. Even with the poor performances, we had enough clear chances to win on another day. Defence conceded two soft goals. Attackers missed easy chances and the 4 across the middle were poor, despite creating opportunities for themselves and the strikers.

I'd give Maher a go on Saturday...also bear in mind he'll be out to impress and secure himself a place in the XI for the game at Roots Hall.

I wouldnt argue we need to pack the midfield at home, more so away from home where we could maybe benefit from setting out a little more cautiously.

I think we should have Lee on the bench. If the oppostion come to pack midfield and get everyone behind the ball hoping for a breakaway goal, we need another creative player on the pitch. Bring on Lee and change to 3 5 2. Maher is not the answer because he's defensive midfield and cover for Allott.