Defensive Poll

Stitch_KTF

Player Poll  

75 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the best, most important defender at Latics?

• Sean Gregan
    • Ruben Hazell
    • Kelvin Lomax
    • Neal Eardley
    • Stefan Stam
    • Gregan, but he needs to pull his finger out.
    • Other - no loanees to be included.
    • Don't know

After debate with a few board members who don't believe Sean Gregan is our best defender I am interested to see who the fans as a whole consider to be the best.

Thought it was a no-brainer myself but maybe I'm wrong!

It's a no brainer OK. Gregan by a mile.

So, this is an unbiased poll but there are two Gregan options? I wanted to vote for:

Eardley, if only he was better

but that option doesn't appear to be available.

Agree I should have put an option of 'Eardley - but he needs to pull his finger out'. Probabaly not necessary for the others though seeing as Stam doesn't play and Lomax and Hazell are pretty consistant. Im sure the poll shall still serve its purpose.

Agree I should have put an option of 'Eardley - but he needs to pull his finger out'. Probabaly not necessary for the others though seeing as Stam doesn't play and Lomax and Hazell are pretty consistant. Im sure the poll shall still serve its purpose.

Remind me what that is :huh:

Ans as long as the answer is Gregan, then it will have served its purpose?

It will have served it's purpose no matter who wins it because then we'll know who people on this forum think is Latics best defender.

Thank you for the clarification. Just one more thing. Why are there two options for Gregan then?

See below

Yes, Gregan is arguably our best defender but NOBODY has come with a cogent argument/reason why when he is playing, the defensive COMBINATION lets in more goals than other combinations.

That's why there is the "he needs to pull his finger out" option, so the above quote becomes obsolete.

Thank you for the clarification. Just one more thing. Why are there two options for Gregan then?

I suppose it was to give people opportunity to recognise his recent form instead of possibly voting against him because of form alone. Like I said, I should have put two options for Eardley also.

Total clarification?

This really is a non-sensical poll.

Yes, Gregan is arguably our best defender but NOBODY has come with a cogent argument/reason why when he is playing, the defensive COMBINATION lets in more goals than other combinations.

Jones?

LM, not LB!

Guest oa_exile
I suppose it was to give people opportunity to recognise his recent form instead of possibly voting against him because of form alone. Like I said, I should have put two options for Eardley also.

Total clarification?

.............Then you should have added another in one for Ruben as well :wink:

This really is a non-sensical poll.

I thought I had?

Fair point. However I will say that the Liddell assist stats mentioned by many (including me) were at least directly relevant to Lidds (and his primary role in the team), as opposed to attributing the teams' stats/results to whether Gregan was in the side or not. I mean his inclusion was hardly the only variable was it?

I'l answer. You're over simplifying it. There are so so many other factors to consider when attributing the causes of one defensive record against another. If we must go down the stats route lets at least find some directly relevant ones. Judging by your comments the team ought to be selected by a computer programme!!

I don't dispute that this 'let more goals in when Gregan plays' stat exists, but does anybody care to post something showing it? Only for during the carefully selected period that it no doubt applies to of course......

I note you accept he's the best individual - suppose that alters the debate. The above quotes apply.......are they wrong?

Edited by Stitch_KTF

Either feckin' way...we take Greags out of our team tomorrow and we are down to bare bones. Stammy (maybe due to the same condition as Chris Killen had. (aleyshagginitis.) Gets injured again and down to bare bones........I just hope they all stay fit at the moment and despite the slagging off of Eardley, Greags, Ruubbeesss and Ginger Jones...without them we are thomas cooked at the back at the moment!!

Total clarification?

Sorry to have taken so long to come back to you. I have been out doing more interesting things. In answer to your question, I would say partial clarification. So, we're talking about talent over form then?

I'll tell you what my issue is with this poll (whether you want to know or not). I dislike things which are self-serving and this poll is a prime example. It appears that the poll has been started because certain people have dared to question Gregan in recent games. So, he wins a poll on an online forum. From the moment the poll closes and forevermore, anybody who refers to Gregan as anything less than the best defender at the club will be pointed in the direction of THE poll. To compound matters even further, there are then two voting options for Gregan, thus enhancing his chances of 'victory' (for what worth). If there is a need for a poll on this matter (which I doubt), then at least make it a level playing field.

Now I'm off to bed because there is a long drive to and from Cheltenham to come tomorrow. Love to all. Goodnight.

Sorry to have taken so long to come back to you. I have been out doing more interesting things. In answer to your question, I would say partial clarification. So, we're talking about talent over form then?

I'll tell you what my issue is with this poll (whether you want to know or not). I dislike things which are self-serving and this poll is a prime example. It appears that the poll has been started because certain people have dared to question Gregan in recent games. So, he wins a poll on an online forum. From the moment the poll closes and forevermore, anybody who refers to Gregan as anything less than the best defender at the club will be pointed in the direction of THE poll. To compound matters even further, there are then two voting options for Gregan, thus enhancing his chances of 'victory' (for what worth). If there is a need for a poll on this matter (which I doubt), then at least make it a level playing field.

Now I'm off to bed because there is a long drive to and from Cheltenham to come tomorrow. Love to all. Goodnight.

nail and head spring to mind,if you reword it to the most valuable defender at the club it would be a totally differant outcome but then again he has'nt got the bottle ,totally pointless poll.ktf.

Apology accepted, but only because you were good enough to log in following your probable highlight of the week to respond to me and my pointless poll. I'm sorry I wasn't around at the time, I was asleep.

Anyway....

1) You had already highlighted your issue. I knew anyway.

2) The poll may appear 'self-serving', because it has proved to be so. Had Gregan not strutted away with it it would have been detrimental to my pro Gregan argument and I would have felt very silly for starting it. Besides, I was genuninely interested in how many others thought the same as those I had been debating him with. Also the poll has also served, for all, the very purpose that rictic kindly enlightened you towards.

3) Yes, I can confirm that the poll has been started because of people questioning Gregan. Well done. However you fail to recognise that it was also because of the questions that raised with myself, namely what others think.

4) Rather than 'compounding matters even further' I feel that the second option for Gregan actually served the purpose of detracting from his inevitable victory as opposed to 'enhancing his chances of victory'.

5) How can you suggest this poll has no weight? The general consensus of the Latics fans as to who is the best, most important Latics defender (at a time when the Latics defence is being widely criticised, and who should be playing being discussed) is worthless is it? Well, it may be worthless within the wider scheme of things but on a Latics specific forum, for those who wish to discuss Latics, it seems is a fairly very reasonable poll. This may seem less reasonable to you. I notice that of your last 5 topics created only 2 are Latics related, and even those I could argue to be, errrrrrrrrrrrrm, self-serving. But I won't. And now, rather than taking part in the Latics related debate, you just choose to berate me and my motives which actually serves nobody. Not sure this is the forum for you. When you first popped up I ignored you - now I intend to go back to doing just that.

So, no further clarification available.

Apologies for my tone - I generally dislike cocky so and so's, and I don't much like being one myself.

Have a safe journey, enjoy the game, shout for me, one love, takeyourselfhome.

^_^

18 months ago id say gregan but he needs to pull his finger out, and he should never have got 2 and a 1/2 years. now id say 'other' as its no longer so clear cut AND i (potentially) cant wait to see who we get on greegs wages next season. realisticly, taking on board recent interviews, if we dont go up we wont be spending that kind of money, so weve chuffed up but at least that self important twit has gone. if we do go up, get in there AND at least that self important twit has gone.

only a month ago the 'i really wana touch greegs' brigade actually thought hed get a new deal. now if even they think that will happen, theyre not stupid, they just wana touch him.

so what im trying to say is, i vote 'other'. the other guy we should have signed 18 months ago, when almost everyone was still blinded by the lust to touch a 'premier league' defender.

Guest oa_exile
18 months ago id say gregan but he needs to pull his finger out, and he should never have got 2 and a 1/2 years. now id say 'other' as its no longer so clear cut AND i (potentially) cant wait to see who we get on greegs wages next season. realisticly, taking on board recent interviews, if we dont go up we wont be spending that kind of money, so weve chuffed up but at least that self important twit has gone. if we do go up, get in there AND at least that self important twit has gone.

only a month ago the 'i really wana touch greegs' brigade actually thought hed get a new deal. now if even they think that will happen, theyre not stupid, they just wana touch him.

so what im trying to say is, i vote 'other'. the other guy we should have signed 18 months ago, when almost everyone was still blinded by the lust to touch a 'premier league' defender.

Is this the same defender which was awesome during his loan spell and received a standing ovation after the Forest game (his last game on loan).

The Club bent over backwards to sign him as he had other offers on the table from other Clubs.

He was well worth the two and a half year deal which he wanted , I commended the Club at the time for signing him.

He is still the best CB we have on the books , in fact the best CB we have had for a good few years.

He has had many more good games than bad , I voted "he needs to pull his finger out", which at the "moment" he does.