Eardley - Lomax

Okay I will start by saying I think Lomax has been solid defensively for the season w/o any outstanding performances, and Neil aint pulled up any trees respective to his ability barring a few top displays around his 9/10 display at Tranmere. I believe Eardley to be 10x the player and potential player of Kelvin and that is meaning no disrespect to Lomax, add to that the age disparity between the two boys the difference in fans reactions is worrying as a fellow fan.

Lomax's distribution was HORRIFIC all night and a lot worse than Eardley's has been at any stage this season. He doesn't demand the ball as much as Neil and when he does it is a floated high ball whether crossing or lumping it towards our 4ft strikers ... Eardley constantly demands the ball despite the so called supporters moans groans and boo's (at a 19yr i'll remind u all) and when given a chance to cross whips the ball in, sometimes it goes array, but that type of cross has more scoring potential.

I'm not for a second wanting fans to boo our own players esp. those home grown talents, but no-one groaned or berated Kelvin 2nite on what was a shocking performance given the lack of defensive work required and number of array balls. When people will realise that booing one of our two main talents is not gonna build confidence and consequently an improvement in form, we may see one of the best prospects we've had in years reaching his potential !!

The most amusing thing for me is that Eardley has seemingly suffered mainly from the £3million tabloid rumour in pre-season :shock: ... get behind the lads FFS or they have no chance !!

Agreed. Eardley gets unbelievable abuse for his distribution. Often he is the only one willing to take any responsibility. We move the ball far too slowly and take the safe option for too often. Lomax was shocking tonight and Eards must play at the weekend.

If Whits is fit he comes straight back with Lee on the right for me. Otherwise Lidds wide and Lee in the middle. I'm fed up of seeing the same players play every week but in different positions.

Surely Eaves/Chalmers/Brooke/Kilcourse could have learnt something sitting on the bench tonight?

I agree. Lomax was poor tonight, but rarely lets the side down. I think like Taylor he's better on the left than his natural side.

Saturday - Lomax LB

Eardley RB

perfectly agree .... Jones once again distinctly average - things gone pear-shaped since he cam in and played ok (ironically) at Stockport

Fleming

Earley Reubs Gregan Lomax

Liddell Maher Whittaker Taylor

Hughes Byfield

for me on Sat

why drop crossley?

We sign a highly rated young promising keeper and haven't seen him play..... sound familiar? Yeh half our squad.

As for Lomax, he wont get the amount of abuse Eardley gets because he had a one off bad game when the whole team was playing badly which is rare for him. Eardley consistently has crap games. Eardley may be the better player when he is on form but id take consistency.

Edited by cmr

Fleming deserves a chance .... Crossley once again got away with blue murder 2nite - twice an inocuous free kick wasn't claimed 4yds from goal ... added to that the bizzarre non-catch when jonesy bailed him out

Fleming must be cursing his agent and advisors (inc. paul murray LOL) as he could have gone to around 5 other clubs this summer

perfectly agree .... Jones once again distinctly average - things gone pear-shaped since he cam in and played ok (ironically) at Stockport

Fleming

Earley Reubs Gregan Lomax

Liddell Maher Whittaker Taylor

Hughes Byfield

for me on Sat

Not sure it was Jones` "distinctly average" performance as you put it the reason for us not scoring tonight.

Also,IMO he was no worse than our more natural full back tonight or at Northampton.

As for Lomax, he wont get the amount of abuse Eardley gets because he had a one off bad game when the whole team was playing badly which is rare for him. Eardley consistently has crap games. Eardley may be the better player when he is on form but id take consistency.

...just not true. And goes to show why this thread was started in the first place, it really does baffle me how a 19 year old can be singled out for such rubbish when the guy has already played over 100 first team games, has scouts at higher levels watching him and has made several full international appearances. And yet a guy who is no more than a 3rd division player is seen as being 'better' than him despite all manner of errors, both positionally and decision-making wise he makes several times a game. Personally I think there is room in the team for both and I think Lomax is a decent player for this level, but as pointed out at the top of this thread, he seems to have acquired an untouchability that seems not afforded to Eardley who is a quality player at this level.

...just not true. And goes to show why this thread was started in the first place, it really does baffle me how a 19 year old can be singled out for such rubbish when the guy has already played over 100 first team games, has scouts at higher levels watching him and has made several full international appearances. And yet a guy who is no more than a 3rd division player is seen as being 'better' than him despite all manner of errors, both positionally and decision-making wise he makes several times a game. Personally I think there is room in the team for both and I think Lomax is a decent player for this level, but as pointed out at the top of this thread, he seems to have acquired an untouchability that seems not afforded to Eardley who is a quality player at this level.

shouldn't that be favourite old fashioned sweets?The pedant police

Yeh i know what you are getting at, both are good players, neither deserving of any abuse especially at their age. If Eardley was consistent he wouldn't be with us for long at all, i'm sure everyone realises that.

Yeh i know what you are getting at, both are good players, neither deserving of any abuse especially at their age. If Eardley was consistent he wouldn't be with us for long at all, i'm sure everyone realises that.

Abuse of any of our players is tosh..especially the home grown or younger players....but any REAL football fan who says Kelvin Lomax is a better full back than Eardley is STRICTLY speaking through their well groomed :ass1:

Abuse of any of our players is tosh..especially the home grown or younger players....but any REAL football fan who says Kelvin Lomax is a better full back than Eardley is STRICTLY speaking through their well groomed :ass1:

So true...Its not even a contest, Eardley is the better player than Lomax and I am sure their future career paths will show that. Still think Eardley could do a job in our central midfield which isnt really performing to well at the moment, if only to make use of his shooting ability!

So true...Its not even a contest, Eardley is the better player than Lomax and I am sure their future career paths will show that. Still think Eardley could do a job in our central midfield which isnt really performing to well at the moment, if only to make use of his shooting ability!

And i'm pretty sure Lomax will be nothing more than a decent Division 2 full back!

Don't rate Lomax, good decision when Ronnie Moore released him IMO.

Agree with Eardley in the middle. Could do a job especially if Whitaker is struggling with injury.

Edited by Butter

I have no problem with Lomax but one thing I noticed and said throughout the whole game on Saturday was everytime the ball was played back to him all he ever did was hoof it over Liddells head and hope Byfield or Hughes would run to the corner and collect it. Only twice in 90 minutes did he actually pass the ball either towards the centre of the park or back to Liddell. I found it quite fustrating when we are supposed to be this footballing side that Shez likes us to play and how other teams see us.