With the continuing complaints that our home form is unsatisfactory, I thought that it would be worthwhile at this half way point of the season comparing where we actually are in comparison to our rivals.

So below is an extract from the league table showing the top 12 teams home record in current order of where they are in the league: -

Played: Won: Drawn: Lost: For: Against: Points per game:

1. Leicester City: 12 9 2 1 22 7 2.416

2. MK Dons: 12 8 0 4 22 11 2.000

3. Millwall: 12 8 3 1 17 10 2.250

4. Peterborough: 11 7 3 1 24 11 2.181

5. Oldham: 12 6 5 1 24 11 1.916

6. Scunthorpe: 11 6 3 2 24 15 1.909

7. Stockport: 12 4 4 4 16 15 1.333

8. Tranmere: 12 8 1 3 22 13 2.083

9. Leeds United: 11 6 2 3 23 14 1.818

10. Huddersfield Town: 12 5 3 4 18 16 1.500

11. Colchester United: 12 3 3 6 11 13 1.000

12: Walsall: 11 6 0 5 19 18 1.636

Please, please, please try and be objective with any comments once you have had a look at the above stats.

Personally, I think I will let them speak for themselves and hopefully put things in their true perspective of ok but could do better. Indeed only a little difference could be massive in terms of what it would do for us in terms of league position.

Cheers,

Harry

With the continuing complaints that our home form is unsatisfactory, I thought that it would be worthwhile at this half way point of the season comparing where we actually are in comparison to our rivals.

So below is an extract from the league table showing the top 12 teams home record in current order of where they are in the league: -

Played: Won: Drawn: Lost: For: Against: Points per game:

1. Leicester City: 12 9 2 1 22 7 2.416

2. MK Dons: 12 8 0 4 22 11 2.000

3. Millwall: 12 8 3 1 17 10 2.250

4. Peterborough: 11 7 3 1 24 11 2.181

5. Oldham: 12 6 5 1 24 11 1.916

6. Scunthorpe: 11 6 3 2 24 15 1.909

7. Stockport: 12 4 4 4 16 15 1.333

8. Tranmere: 12 8 1 3 22 13 2.083

9. Leeds United: 11 6 2 3 23 14 1.818

10. Huddersfield Town: 12 5 3 4 18 16 1.500

11. Colchester United: 12 3 3 6 11 13 1.000

12: Walsall: 11 6 0 5 19 18 1.636

Please, please, please try and be objective with any comments once you have had a look at the above stats.

Personally, I think I will let them speak for themselves and hopefully put things in their true perspective of ok but could do better. Indeed only a little difference could be massive in terms of what it would do for us in terms of league position.

Cheers,

Harry

A very balanced post Harry, backed up by fact - indeed, we would have loved to stuff these lower teams at home, but as we know - well us realistic enough to admit - that football just isn't as simple as that.

A mere 'tweaking' is required with our performances at home and i'm sure Shez and TW will be looking very closely at it!

Not terrible, but worse than all the teams above us. Hence we are below them.

There is a fine line in football and at the moment we are tending to fall the wrong side of it more oftern than we would like at home. Most games of football are won with one or 2 goals.

If Gregans shot had been 6 inches to left; If Mahers deflected shot had deflected a foot less; if Lomax's shot was not blocked etc etc. Only one of these would have given us an extra 2 points.

I can think of similar chances against Brighton, Yeovil, Huddersfield etc.

We are doing OK and there is not that much wrong with the home performances that a bit of luck / run of the ball etc wouldn't change. I don't feel we are fundamentally a bad side at BP and hope that if/when we get one good home result, it will probably result in a run of them.

Knowing our luck - this will coincide with a corresponding dip in form away from BP....sigh.

Last 5 Home game form list - top 12 - Latics last...

Leicester City.............wwwww.....15

Milton Keynes Dons.....wwlww......12

Millwall.......................ddwwww...11

Peterborough United....wdwww.....13

Oldham Athletic...........dddwl........6

Scunthorpe United.......wdldw........8

Stockport County........lwlww.........9

Tranmere Rovers........wwwwd......13

Leeds United...............dlwlw.........7

Huddersfield Town.......wwwlw.......12

Colchester United........wdlwl.........7

Walsall.......................wlwlw.........9

Last 5 Home game form list - top 12 - Latics last...

Leicester City.............wwwww.....15

Milton Keynes Dons.....wwlww......12

Millwall.......................ddwwww...11

Peterborough United....wdwww.....13

Oldham Athletic...........dddwl........6

Scunthorpe United.......wdldw........8

Stockport County........lwlww.........9

Tranmere Rovers........wwwwd......13

Leeds United...............dlwlw.........7

Huddersfield Town.......wwwlw.......12

Colchester United........wdlwl.........7

Walsall.......................wlwlw.........9

You have a fair point there Rummy.

However, I deliberately referred to having an overall look at the 1st half of the season. You can always look at short term sections and make an argument, but the longer the period you refer to generally gives you a better overall picture. Without of course going silly like taking it back to include last season. :grin:

You can make the same stat but in reverse for our away form over the last 5 matches, but again that won't give you the same overall picture as you would get from the last say 7 games or 10.

I generally go for half season stats as they tend to be more reflective overall. However, at the same time I acknowledge that the last 5 games have not been as productive. Teams have short term periods of good and not so good form, but at the end of the season you end up where you deserve to be. Unless of course you have had a points deduction (Leeds excepted of course)

Cheers,

Harry

Despite being well short of perfect, this season's home performances have been SIGNIFICANTLY better than the period ending 31st December 2007.

We have dropped points where we shouldn't have done, but from memory we'd lost 5 home games at this stage last season as well as a handful of draws.

Still need to kick on and deliver more, but automatic promotion is "an extra low hard cross in to Hughes" a game away from us.

Not terrible, but worse than all the teams above us. Hence we are below them.

There is a fine line in football and at the moment we are tending to fall the wrong side of it more oftern than we would like at home. Most games of football are won with one or 2 goals.

If Gregans shot had been 6 inches to left; If Mahers deflected shot had deflected a foot less; if Lomax's shot was not blocked etc etc. Only one of these would have given us an extra 2 points.

I can think of similar chances against Brighton, Yeovil, Huddersfield etc.

We are doing OK and there is not that much wrong with the home performances that a bit of luck / run of the ball etc wouldn't change. I don't feel we are fundamentally a bad side at BP and hope that if/when we get one good home result, it will probably result in a run of them.

Knowing our luck - this will coincide with a corresponding dip in form away from BP....sigh.

My thoughts exactly :grin: