Now Hughes Has Gone

:shock: Eh Have I missed something??

Where has he supposedly gone??

No I think I'd rather go for proven goal scorer if we could find one (always difficult to get tho). We lose Hughes we're gonna lose goals I think it would take time for a non league striker to adjust and get used to this standard of football and would not score half the goals Hughes would get us the rest of this season.

A punt? Spending money on an unproven striker? Latics' cash is in short supply and it needs to be invested in players where the evidence they can do it at this level or above. Even then there's no guarantee but certainly more likelihood than in "having a punt"!

On Sky Sports that Doncaster have been given permission to speak to him.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11719_4831939,00.html

so why are the club persisting in saying we have had no offers for hughes......and why isnt there anything on the os to say he is given permission to discuss a possible move....

so why are the club persisting in saying we have had no offers for hughes......and why isnt there anything on the os to say he is given permission to discuss a possible move....

Who knows, but i'm under good authority Sat will be the last game, if he is still here.

I'd personally go non league hopefully find a gem, or get Benson from Daggers.

I don't think they have said anything since the weekend and why would they put that on the website. It's public knowledge that if someone puts a decent bid in, we will let them talk to him.

I also don't think O'Driscoll is lying.

Who knows, but i'm under good authority Sat will be the last game, if he is still here.

If he stays on a few days and plays his last game on Tuesday, perhaps you could run on and wish him luck a minute or two from the end :wink:

Sources, sauces, good authority, reliably informed - we have so many posts on here about all sorts that have this type of "certainty". Amazing that none of them are ever named and only a few of them actually prove to have been right.

Not having a personal go ROAM, but be more specific!

Update: Alan Hardy's reply to SheffLatic seems to outright contradict your leak

just in...(reply from email)

Mike

If he wants to go and we say no, we have an unhappy player on our staff that may not be any use to us for the rest of the season and we lose out big style on two fronts.

Believe me we do not want to do any favours for Donny.

However, I fully expect Lee to be with us at the end of January.

Alan

Edited by LaticsPete

A punt? Spending money on an unproven striker? Latics' cash is in short supply and it needs to be invested in players where the evidence they can do it at this level or above. Even then there's no guarantee but certainly more likelihood than in "having a punt"!

stockport had a Punt on Pilkington

peterborough had a Punt on Mackail-smith

Both clubs seem to being doing well with it !

Picking up a hungry semi pro game and giving him a go maybe worth a go surely ?

Our last Punt as such was Wilkinson (Wes) that didnt really work but its worth another go ? It wouldnt cost that much ?

stockport had a Punt on Pilkington

peterborough had a Punt on Mackail-smith

Both clubs seem to being doing well with it !

Picking up a hungry semi pro game and giving him a go maybe worth a go surely ?

Our last Punt as such was Wilkinson (Wes) that didnt really work but its worth another go ? It wouldnt cost that much ?

At least £50K + wages - and don't think decent non league players are on low wages anymore. Most Conference players are doing ok - and other leagues , the part time wages plus a job means that they're not attracted by lower league salaries.

There will always be some successes but Latics probably can't afford the gamble .

At least £50K + wages - and don't think decent non league players are on low wages anymore. Most Conference players are doing ok - and other leagues , the part time wages plus a job means that they're not attracted by lower league salaries.

There will always be some successes but Latics probably can't afford the gamble .

what am i on about ! One size , Ernie Cooksey !

Surely the chance of finding more players like there is worth the money ?

what am i on about ! One size , Ernie Cooksey !

Surely the chance of finding more players like there is worth the money ?

Ernie wouldn't be good enough.....

And you've got it right - "chance". IMO Latics can't afford the gamble. we disagree. No prob.

Ernie wouldn't be good enough.....

And you've got it right - "chance". IMO Latics can't afford the gamble. we disagree. No prob.

not sure really on unproven or proven,both cost a considerable amount these days

if hughes goes...then we have windass and davies,plus lewis and wolfy when fit...windass and a n other may be fine,but if he got injured would davies and lewis cut the mustard,both got bags of potential but not had the best of seasons goal scoring wise...

the longer this drags on the less time we have to find a suitable replacement.

best case if we dont want to do donny any favours...is sting it along until 4pm deadline day then hughes signs new deal.