Chaddy vs Rocky Road End debate

How can the drum ruin any atmosphere that is created when it's the drum that creates the bloody atmosphere?!

Seriously, some people on this message board really get on my tits! :mad:

The drum starts off pretty much every single song we sing except oh when the blues...

And as for us turning into a happy clappy support...I'd much rather go to a game and enjoy a happy clappy atmosphere than sit there getting told to shut up by people like yourself and laughed at by the away crouds for our dire atmosphere, probably resulting in players playing sh*te because theyre playing for the least passionate supporters on the planet!!!

If you dont like the drum, f**k off to the main stand!!!!!!!

Yep, people like me are constantly telling people to shut up :huh: So you're telling me your happy to sing embarrasing, tinpot songs like the great escape? Like Senor Coconut said, we coped fine for the last 100 years without a drum, so there's no need for one now...

Edit: And we're not laughed at for our 'dire atmosphere'. We're laughed at for having a drum, as most real football fans are against drums at football matches.

Edited by JonesyOAFC

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Simple innit.

Sit in the part of the ground that gives you the atmosphere you like most / the standing or seating needs that you have most and the view you like most. It's an individual thing and there a three different stands and different atmospheres in each part of those stands.

If you're stuck in a seat next to the drum and don't like it, I'm sure those nice ladies in the ticket office will help you find somewhere else that is more suited to your tastes. The side of the RRE furthest away from away fans, the Chaddy, the main stand, or even Spotland if you prefer.

I sat in the Chaddy yesterday for the first time this season. It felt similar in atmosphere to last season. OK for atmosphere, but not great.

But ultimately, I prefer the RRE. Except for the turnstiles.

Edited by opinions4u

Yep, people like me are constantly telling people to shut up :huh: So you're telling me your happy to sing embarrasing, tinpot songs like the great escape? Like Senor Coconut said, we coped fine for the last 100 years without a drum, so there's no need for one now...

Edit: And we're not laughed at for our 'dire atmosphere'. We're laughed at for having a drum, as most real football fans are against drums at football matches.

I'm not a fan of 'the great escape' or any of the other ones he's tried to introduce, they aren't oldham songs, but the drummer does force songs to start and that is important. Have we coped for the last 100 years without it? I seem to remember the whole of the last decade being like a library, I wouldn't call that coping exactly. Even when the Chaddy was 'loud' you could hardly hear it in the rest of the ground, so don't give that bull :censored: about the Chaddy being better than the RRE, that's clearly not the case. The drum has helped this season whether you like it or not FACT (that officially makes it a fact btw). He does get a bit carried away trying new things that are sometimes a bit cringeworthy, but I can live with that if it means more people join in.

Yep I, along with another thousand or so fans are happy to sing "tinpot" songs like the great escape whilst you sit there picking your nose and complaing about the atmosphere.

We coped fine for the last 100 years without one because everyone was willing to sing then. I'd love to see you try and make as good of an atmosphere as yesterday WITHOUT the drum...you'll find it near impossible!

I never said we were laughed at full stop...I said we would be if we sat there in silence which is what it would be like if you had your own way!

Yep I, along with another thousand or so fans are happy to sing "tinpot" songs like the great escape whilst you sit there picking your nose and complaing about the atmosphere.

We coped fine for the last 100 years without one because everyone was willing to sing then. I'd love to see you try and make as good of an atmosphere as yesterday WITHOUT the drum...you'll find it near impossible!

I never said we were laughed at full stop...I said we would be if we sat there in silence which is what it would be like if you had your own way!

I don't know who you think I am, but I try to create an atmosphere at games, so you can zip right up. But it's a sad day when the only way of creating a decent atmosphere is banging a drum tunelessly and singing novelty songs. Why don't we start giving out free facepaint and airhorns at home games as well?

I don't know who you think I am, but I try to create an atmosphere at games, so you can zip right up. But it's a sad day when the only way of creating a decent atmosphere is banging a drum tunelessly and singing novelty songs. Why don't we start giving out free facepaint and airhorns at home games as well?

Drums can't make tunes.

I was giving out free facepaint all day yesterday. I attracted customers with my air horn.

Aaah...the airhorns....now they were quality....I bet the same people moaning now about the drummer were moaning about the airhorns when they were always going off at BP around 89 - 91.

Aaah...the airhorns....now they were quality....I bet the same people moaning now about the drummer were moaning about the airhorns when they were always going off at BP around 89 - 91.

I probably would have been had I not only just been born. Mind you, i've always been a mard-arse, so I was probably complaining anyway...

I probably would have been had I not only just been born. Mind you, i've always been a mard-arse, so I was probably complaining anyway...

WTF your under 20 and you're complaining about the drum?! I assumed you were at least 50, I guess young people can be boring and complain all the time as well.

WTF your under 20 and you're complaining about the drum?! I assumed you were at least 50, I guess young people can be boring and complain all the time as well.

So because i'm under 20 I can't be a proper football fan? I should spend the whole 90 minutes staring at the away fans whilst clapping along to the great escape or some other crap? I'll keep that in mind.

So because i'm under 20 I can't be a proper football fan? I should spend the whole 90 minutes staring at the away fans whilst clapping along to the great escape or some other crap? I'll keep that in mind.

Where in his post did he say you can't be a proper football fan? :huh:

He simply said he thought you were over 50 as the majority of drum/atmosphere haters are in that age barrier.

No offence to the over 50's that enjoy the occasional sing song whilst waving their tops above their heads :wink:

No, nobody said that did they. It's just for an 18 year old or however old you are you seem to complain alot and act like you remember when it was all fields. I'm 22 and I don't spend much time looking at the away fans but I enjoy the banter. I get the feeling you're trying to act mature to impress everyone for some bizarre reason, like you're not the average 18 year old, you're a little above that and bla bla bla. If everyone is singing the great escape and it's getting going I will join in because at the end of the day it all adds to the atmosphere even though i'm not a fan of the song at all. If the drum is keeping a decent rhythm and managing to keep 'Sheridan's blue and white army' going i'm not going to be complaining about how loud it is or how we didn't need drums in yesteryear and how it's ruining the atmosphere at football matches, because it clearly isn't. Lighten up and chill the f*** out.

No, nobody said that did they. It's just for an 18 year old or however old you are you seem to complain alot and act like you remember when it was all fields. I'm 22 and I don't spend much time looking at the away fans but I enjoy the banter. I get the feeling you're trying to act mature to impress everyone for some bizarre reason, like you're not the average 18 year old, you're a little above that and bla bla bla. If everyone is singing the great escape and it's getting going I will join in because at the end of the day it all adds to the atmosphere even though i'm not a fan of the song at all. If the drum is keeping a decent rhythm and managing to keep 'Sheridan's blue and white army' going i'm not going to be complaining about how loud it is or how we didn't need drums in yesteryear and how it's ruining the atmosphere at football matches, because it clearly isn't. Lighten up and chill the f*** out.

Spot on mate.

Yep, I signed on an internet forum to impress people :lol: I'm not complaining at all, i'm stating my opinion. And that opinion is, there's no room for drums at football games. Simple, init? Why you think everybody under 20 should love the drum and encourage turning us into a happy clappy club like Doncaster is beyond me...

If I get a season ticket next year (which is very much dependent on whether we go up or who our manager is if we stay down) i'll be swapping the RRE for the Chaddy, I've not enjoyed the move from the Lookers at all and the prices of the RRE season tickets will be moved inline with the other stands.

One things for sure the location of that bloody drum will need to be announced as early as possible

Same here. Yesterday I sat in the chaddy, liked it alot more than the RRE. Season ticket financially will be a real push for me this year but if we go up i will sure as hell be making a few sacrifices and renewing.

I thought this debate was supposed to be about the rre v the cre not the pros and cons of the drum.

So back on topic. Which is more popular?

Well that surely has been down to who goes where.

Yesterdays home attendance was just over 5,400.

Main stand upper and lower total 2,300

RRE total 1100

CRE toatl 1900

Sponsors & Corner flag suites total 100.

Does that answer your debate?

Cheers,

Harry

I recently visited an Inter Millan match and they too have a drum. Let me say this, the atomsphere was amazing. Italians like the English are passionate and love football, but time to time can be reluctant to sing if loosing. When the drummer starting doing his stuff and everyone started singing "forza inter" it lifted the team and they won.

For you sceptics who say drums are a bad thing has anyone noticed who has won serie A for the last three years.

For god sake we have some misserable farts who support oldham don't we

I thought this debate was supposed to be about the rre v the cre not the pros and cons of the drum.

So back on topic. Which is more popular?

Well that surely has been down to who goes where.

Yesterdays home attendance was just over 5,400.

Main stand upper and lower total 2,300

RRE total 1100

CRE toatl 1900

Sponsors & Corner flag suites total 100.

Does that answer your debate?

Cheers,

Harry

It's not about how many fans go in each stand Harry, it's about which is the more enjoyable and which has the better atmosphere or so I've been led to believe anyway...

The answer is simple...RRE, theres no doubt about it! We produce the more noise so the atmosphere is better there... Simple, init?

Yesterday was my first match in a looooooooooong time despite being a season ticket holder and from my seat in the main stand I thought the atmosphere in the Rochdale Road End was fantastic, really energetic. Only heard the Chaddy once (Zigga Zagga), the drum certainly adds to the atmosphere although the County fans were using it as a song starter just as much as us yesterday.

Each to their own but when it comes to an atmosphere there's only one winner. BP is a far better place with home fans in the Rocky.

OAFC (in the boring main stand!) B)

Edited by OAFC

I recently visited an Inter Millan match and they too have a drum. Let me say this, the atomsphere was amazing. Italians like the English are passionate and love football, but time to time can be reluctant to sing if loosing. When the drummer starting doing his stuff and everyone started singing "forza inter" it lifted the team and they won.

For you sceptics who say drums are a bad thing has anyone noticed who has won serie A for the last three years.

And it's coming to something when the miserable ones are the young ones!!

What a club we're going to have in 30 years time

It's a foreign trait, the same as flags, banners and flares. If we're going to have a drum, why not have those other things as well? English clubs have never picked up these traits, and that's what makes the atmosphere at British grounds unique. The songs are witty and original, rather than just 'der der der der der OLDHAM!', which is bland and boring.