Is it better to be a Yo-Yo club?

I've been thinking about our current plight in terms of support and I wonder if it's partly due to how stable we have been traditionally. Apart from the brief spell in The Premier League and then fight to then stay in the The Championship, generally speaking we have been a club that in the last 30 years has had long spells stuck in a particular division whether it be the second or third tier of football.

Sometimes we have had flirtations with relegation, sometimes with promotion but again generally speaking season after season has just petered out into nothing. Maybe this is the reason we have an apathetic public. They just expect us to maintain the status quo and not really do anything............. they don't expect any 'real' excitement at BP, except for the odd big cup game which brings them out sometimes in force.

So I wonder would it be better to have a few promotions then relegations to generate interest a bit more interest......... I look at the likes of Stockport who have traditionally been a smaller club than us who can get an extra 1000 fans in for a recent home game. They have been as high at The Championship in recent times, and as low as League 2 (not that I want us to go there!!!). Our fans over that same period have seen us stuck mainly in League 1.

So do we need a mix of promotion, and perish the thought maybe even relegation to get the town intersted in Latics again? Is the reason for a stagnant support a stagnant football club?

I've been thinking about our current plight in terms of support and I wonder if it's partly due to how stable we have been traditionally. Apart from the brief spell in The Premier League and then fight to then stay in the The Championship, generally speaking we have been a club that in the last 30 years has had long spells stuck in a particular division whether it be the second or third tier of football.

Sometimes we have had flirtations with relegation, sometimes with promotion but again generally speaking season after season has just petered out into nothing. Maybe this is the reason we have an apathetic public. They just expect us to maintain the status quo and not really do anything............. they don't expect any 'real' excitement at BP, except for the odd big cup game which brings them out sometimes in force.

So I wonder would it be better to have a few promotions then relegations to generate interest a bit more interest......... I look at the likes of Stockport who have traditionally been a smaller club than us who can get an extra 1000 fans in for a recent home game. They have been as high at The Championship in recent times, and as low as League 2 (not that I want us to go there!!!). Our fans over that same period have seen us stuck mainly in League 1.

So do we need a mix of promotion, and perish the thought maybe even relegation to get the town intersted in Latics again? Is the reason for a stagnant support a stagnant football club?

I would agree. A mix of promotion and relegation would makes things more interesting as long as you have the people in the club to drive things forward after such a relegation. Our demise after the premiership years though shows how to get it wrong.

Yes I believe the excitement (even in relegation scraps) created would mean higher gates. Tell the Leicester crowd it's nothing to get excited about running away with League one right now...... their club shop will be bucking the credit crunch right now I can bet.

For me the best senario for Latics would be to yo yo from Championship and Prem. Never spending mega money tryin to stay in the prem but instead taking the money and parachute payments so we are financially stable.

Without doubt, it would be much better to be a yo-yo club. 12 years in this division visiting the same grounds every year are really starting to take their toll.

That said, if we did keep yo-yoing, no doubt we'd all be on here slagging the club off for not being able to stay in the higher division.

I have often though this, and one of the problems with the club is that there isn't enough excitement with regards to moving between divisions. However, as a club we have not had all that many promotions, and I would have no confidence whatsoever that if we dropped in to the division below we would be able to bounce straight back.

I have often though this, and one of the problems with the club is that there isn't enough excitement with regards to moving between divisions. However, as a club we have not had all that many promotions, and I would have no confidence whatsoever that if we dropped in to the division below we would be able to bounce straight back.

Agree this is as low as the YO should go............................... how many times did we apply for re-election?

I suppose a bit of yo-yo-ing might have raised some more interest than our (to many) stagnation in the 3rd division.

The problem is, since our decline to this level we've been at least as likely to yo-yo between Divs 3 and 4 instead of 2 and 3... :blink: