From Fourth Lowest To Tenth Hiighest Budget But Overall Situation Is "Bleak"

Tonight's rarely wrong Chron says TTA may have to fill a black hole in the coffers which could be as much as £700,000 for the current campaign with Chairman Simon Blitz having previously admitted subsidising the club to the tune of up to £50,000 per month.

Simon Corney said: “We are in a bit of a quandary at the moment as we won’t be able to support the club from our own pockets anything like we have done this year. It is a fact of life and we are already looking at cost-cutting measures as these are hard times. There is no way we can maintain the kind of levels of spending that we have been sustaining for the last couple of years.

“We will have to make changes. We could put up season-ticket prices - we have frozen them for the last three years which no other club has done - or cut the playing budget. We haven’t got that far yet.”

Mr Corney revealed that his conversations with other chairmen confirmed that the overall situation is “bleak”.

Full article:

http://www.oldham-chronicle.co.uk/news-fea...be-cut-—-owners

Need to speak to steve gibson at boro, hes pissed £85 million up the wall, 700k is nowt to him.

glad in one respect this has come out after the transfer window,as if it had come out sooner the obvious thing would be to sell somebody to cover the costs.

this is again pretty much as last season,only last season we had a decent cup run got on sky and sold trottman,all contributing to paying the way so to speak.

this season we havent had a cup run and havent sold anybody.

all this would lead you to believe that at the end of the season,should we not get promoted,the season ticket prices will rise,we may have to sell players and our budget will be ripped back to worst in the league....all of which puts so much more pressure on the manager and team to get us up this season.

i think if we dont go up,and season ticket prices rise our attendances will plummett...

All that's lifted from his Latics World interview on the main site... Corney never mentioned 700k so where are the chron getting this number from ?

maybe from last season with it being 750k mentioned...there hoping the club has saved 50k this year.....if anything i would of thought due to downturn in peoples finances and the lack of jobs n money around it would have gone up.

maybe from last season with it being 750k mentioned...there hoping the club has saved 50k this year.....if anything i would of thought due to downturn in peoples finances and the lack of jobs n money around it would have gone up.

So you reckon they just took a guess... Wouldn't surprise me... I would like to know what the real number is...

glad in one respect this has come out after the transfer window,as if it had come out sooner the obvious thing would be to sell somebody to cover the costs.

this is again pretty much as last season,only last season we had a decent cup run got on sky and sold trottman,all contributing to paying the way so to speak.

this season we havent had a cup run and havent sold anybody.

all this would lead you to believe that at the end of the season,should we not get promoted,the season ticket prices will rise,we may have to sell players and our budget will be ripped back to worst in the league....all of which puts so much more pressure on the manager and team to get us up this season.

i think if we dont go up,and season ticket prices rise our attendances will plummett...

Funny, thought we sold Davies.

So you reckon they just took a guess... Wouldn't surprise me... I would like to know what the real number is...

i reckon they have...i cant see the owners divulging that kind of information freely unless there was a major financial problem with there buisness.

i dont think any of us would really want to know what the official figures are,might not be nice reading...

one good thing is the land around bp has outline planning permission,so if push came to shove they could sell that without developing i suppose.

i reckon they have...i cant see the owners divulging that kind of information freely unless there was a major financial problem with there buisness.

They've stated £15k a week losses on more than one occasion.

Sell a Trotman a year and you're not far off breaking even.

i dont think any of us would really want to know what the official figures are,might not be nice reading...
I wouldn't invest in a football club with a view to making a profit.

one good thing is the land around bp has outline planning permission,so if push came to shove they could sell that without developing i suppose.

Problem (1) are there any buyers out there at the moment

Problem (2) land values, where buyers can be found, are a fraction of what they were 18 months ago.

They've stated £15k a week losses on more than one occasion.

Sell a Trotman a year and you're not far off breaking even.

I wouldn't invest in a football club with a view to making a profit.

Problem (1) are there any buyers out there at the moment

Problem (2) land values, where buyers can be found, are a fraction of what they were 18 months ago.

i agree with you...the backside has fell out of the housing and building markets....the only positive is that firms are that desperate for buisness,that there willing to knock vast amounts off any building work just to get cash in to survive...

but in the cold light of day if push did come to shove,they can get back something from the land,might not be what they paid,but it wont be sold for nothing.

Yet again contrasting stories about the budget at BP, during the Sky coverage it was mentioned that Latics were doing well to maintain a promotion challenge with the fourth smallest budget in League 1!!!

In the full Chron article, Simon Corney says:

"We are competitive and on a reasonable budget. It is not the fourth or fifth lowest, as has been mentioned.

“It started off at a lower level, but since then we have paid off certain players and brought in others which has increased it substantially.

“It is a healthy budget and one which is in the top ten in our division.”

In the full Chron article, Simon Corney says:

"We are competitive and on a reasonable budget. It is not the fourth or fifth lowest, as has been mentioned.

“It started off at a lower level, but since then we have paid off certain players and brought in others which has increased it substantially.

“It is a healthy budget and one which is in the top ten in our division.”

Thanks for the clarification............. maybe I should not be lazy and read the article next time :grin:

“We will have to make changes. We could put up season-ticket prices - we have frozen them for the last three years which no other club has done - or cut the playing budget. We haven’t got that far yet.”

Full article:

http://www.oldham-chronicle.co.uk/news-fea...be-cut-—-owners

Step 1: Get promoted

Step 2: Put Up Season Tickets as we got promoted

Step 3: More home and away fans turn up to see wonderful chmapionship football as we got promoted.

:)

Back Up Plan: Sell the newly talented Neal Eardley for £1m.

Happy days.

I'm not saying that the club shouldn't put prices up, or that they have any choice, but raising prices is only papering over the cracks. Gates will drop dramatically if we don't go up. Present attendances indicate that many fans have already lapsed despite three relatively good seasons in a row. What else is likely to happen, particularly in a worsening economic situation, if we are asked to pay more but are back to square one with spending cutbacks translated into a no-hope team?

Even if we go up and mange to stay up, the entire future of the club depends on a redeveloped stadium that we may never get.

I'm not saying that the club shouldn't put prices up, or that they have any choice, but raising prices is only papering over the cracks. Gates will drop dramatically if we don't go up. Present attendances indicate that many fans have already lapsed despite three relatively good seasons in a row. What else is likely to happen, particularly in a worsening economic situation, if we are asked to pay more but are back to square one with spending cutbacks translated into a no-hope team?

Even if we go up and mange to stay up, the entire future of the club depends on a redeveloped stadium that we may never get.

may never get......depends what the focus is of getting rid of said dwellings.....

there is demand in oldham for good quality affordable housing.....im sure if they wanted to they could alter plans to build this kind of housing rather than aiming for the high flier market where demand has plummetted.this way they may be able to strike a deal with a big social landlord for x amount of properties..

in reality they only need phase one to be funded,once its built it will start paying for itself over time,thus not having to rely solely on tta's to dig into there pockets.

the club once in the premier greed got shafted by all n sundrie,then moore came along and basically raped the club and took the fixture n fittings,but the club we have today is far different than what it was all those years ago,so in reallity you cant really compare the two.

I agree with everything you said accept for the cut backs leading to a no-hope team. All the other clubs at this level will be following suit and that will level the playing field in that area.

But I get your overall point and couldn't agree more...

I always smile to myself when 'snippets' of quotes are taken, shown and commented on.

Apart from the worry and negative pieces of the interview/piece, how about, for me, the most important part.

SC "We are a well run club and we are lucky. There could not be a club further from going into administration than we are."

Let's think back to not many moons ago -

I agree with everything you said accept for the cut backs leading to a no-hope team. All the other clubs at this level will be following suit and that will level the playing field in that area.

But I get your overall point and couldn't agree more...

Most clubs at this level might find themselves in the same boat, but I fear that most of these will eventually go part-time (if they survive at all), especially if all the money in the game remains concentrated at the top.

The chance of a club like ours to compete at a higher level will be gone forever.

may never get......depends what the focus is of getting rid of said dwellings.....

there is demand in oldham for good quality affordable housing.....im sure if they wanted to they could alter plans to build this kind of housing rather than aiming for the high flier market where demand has plummetted.this way they may be able to strike a deal with a big social landlord for x amount of properties..

in reality they only need phase one to be funded,once its built it will start paying for itself over time,thus not having to rely solely on tta's to dig into there pockets.

the club once in the premier greed got shafted by all n sundrie,then moore came along and basically raped the club and took the fixture n fittings,but the club we have today is far different than what it was all those years ago,so in reallity you cant really compare the two.

Different in what way? As far as I can see, the club might be hemorrhaging less money now-which is a considerable achievement when you think about the overall calibre of player in the first team over recent seasons, but as TTA say in the interview under discussion, they can't fund even the existing losses indefinitely.

I hope you're right about the demand for housing, but I find it difficult to look at football without one eye on the wider economy. As discussed on here recently (in a fashion...) a consensus is building amongst economists, politicians and the media that we face a long economic decline to which they have few, if any, answers. In this unprecedented and ongoing economic meltdown I am cautious about expecting any recovery before football as we know it begins to crumble.