XP Pro or Vista

Lookers_Carl

In the near future will be setting up my imac to dual boot using boot camp. going to install a copy of windows on the othe rpartitiion. Currently have an OEM copy of windows xp pro which i could install, however was contemplating getting vista home basic.

I dont have loads of hands on experience with vista but is there any reason to choose vista over that, bearing in mind it will only be used now and again and wont be used as the main OS

I've liked working with Vista, yes it has it's compatibility issues and XP was a tough act to follow - but it wasn't a bad OS, just not a good one either, although given the choice I'd have XP over Vista any day of the week. Trouble with Windows 2000 was that it was supposed to have the best security and used EFS (which was excellent), but by declaring the fact Microsoft attracted high-profile hackers who exploited ever single hole in the code and wrecked it. Oh and the server editions where not as good as Linux either...

Ta

Using Mac OS X 10.4 now, will upgrade to 10.6 once released this year, then install XP Pro on the partition. Is full release of windows 7 out this yr?

:rolleyes:

It's being made by M$ don't forget... sometime around 2010 with a :censored: load of holes in it, 2011 first service pack worth bothering with...

• 3 months later...

bit late I know, and I hope the iMac is going well

I use iMacs at work and have a MacBok Pro at home, all running BootCamp with Windows XP Pro SP3 on them, I would not touch Vista with a barge pole atm!! XP runs smoothly on them and I have had more problems with the Dell PCs with XP on them and none on the Macs!!

I know this always seems to be the answer that Mac people give, but 'it just works'!!

Just remember that whilst you are running windows, your computer is no longer Apple, and is now open to all the nasties that plague the PC world

PointonsTache

Plus I would also hold off installing the latest and greatest versions of OSX as Apple are rapidly morphing into Microsoft and messing around with their OSes and releasing dodgy software. When Leopard came out I was inundated with requests for help from our growing Mac user base as Apple had "improved" the printing system in the same way MS improves things.

Whilst it is nice to be an early adopter of new technologies there is a hell of a lot to be said for hanging back a couple of months and letting others blaze a trail, hit the issues and solve them (or force the producer to solve them) before causing yourself a lot of wasted time. If something isn't broke, there is no need to fix it.