Change of formation and Smalley

Surprised no-one brought it up, but thought the change in formation worked well yesterday. What we maybe lacked in width at times was made up by the runs of Smalley and the compactness of the 3 in the middle, thought Shez played it right today. Moving Smalley upfront was a great masterstroke, he was all over the place and his pace had Northampton running around in circles, and was really unlucky not to get himself a goal to.

Edited by kellys_discopants

I agree, with Hughes and Windass upfront we miss speed so to have Smalley helping out makes sense. I thought Smalley had a pretty good game however he went missing a bit in the 2nd half. I think Latics need to be more ruthless and not to take their foot off the pedal when we have them on the back foot. Northampton were a very poor side and we should of scored 3/4 past them but It's still an improvement on previous games.

I think Latics need to be more ruthless and not to take their foot off the pedal when we have them on the back foot. Northampton were a very poor side and we should of scored 3/4 past them but It's still an improvement on previous games.

It isn't so much the going on to score 3 or 4 against weaker opposition (although that would be nice).

It's a case of getting 2 goals clear and then looking safe.

While we have won against Hartlepool, Stockport and Northampton, in all 3 games we got in to totally dominant 2-0 leads and then let a goal slip that made a chunk of the remainder of the game uncomfortable.

Taking control of a game we can do. Keeping control of a game is something to work on as we move in to the business end of the season.

I agree, with Hughes and Windass upfront we miss speed so to have Smalley helping out makes sense. I thought Smalley had a pretty good game however he went missing a bit in the 2nd half. I think Latics need to be more ruthless and not to take their foot off the pedal when we have them on the back foot. Northampton were a very poor side and we should of scored 3/4 past them but It's still an improvement on previous games.

I prefer to state that we made Northampton look poor.

Thought it worked well, Smalley Hughes and Windass will give any defence problems in this league, and all have something different to offer. But Neal Eardley is not a midfielder, I think yesterday showed that, he just looked lost half the time. Give Keiron Lee a chance instead, at least he's a real midfielder...

Thought it worked well, Smalley Hughes and Windass will give any defence problems in this league, and all have something different to offer. But Neal Eardley is not a midfielder, I think yesterday showed that, he just looked lost half the time. Give Keiron Lee a chance instead, at least he's a real midfielder...

Excellent shout, Jonesy. After Eardley's excellent performance against Leicester, I would have thought Sheriden would have kept him there and brought in Lee.

But no, Sheriden springs a surprise on us and brings in Hines at full back who put in a less than satisfactory performance at full back.

What does Lee have to do to be considered? The lad must be demoralised and will he still want to be with us after this season? We secured him against the best efforts from other clubs and then sideline him. Yesterday would have been a good opportunity to see him in a midfield 3 in his preferred position with experienced players in front, behind him and at his side.

Yes, I am moaning about the tactics and yes we won but we can do BETTER.