Playoffs

Glad Scunthorpe have got a few suspensions now.

Their's and Millwalls games in hand might prove to be decisive.

good point today down there,it sounded like a even contest with them just having a bit more possesion and chances,least we didnt drop any points.tuesday will be different again.

we are already in the playoffs...it is once again in our own hands as to what we decide to do.

carry on as we have all season and we should still be in the playoffs....dip in form and we wont.....go up a notch and second is for grabs.

Another 10 wins would put us on at least 84 points. Surely that is enough to secure second spot. I haven't got time to look over previous seasons but I'm sure some statistician can look back and see how many points are usually needed to gain 2nd spot

that maybe true....but considering our form all season...its a bloody big ask winning ten of the last 14 games isnt it.

I aint sayin we will win 10 in 14. But it was claimed thats what we need to secure a playoff spot. I am suggesting that that is bollox

if we win our home games and draw our aways we wont be too far off....other teams around us are now starting to drop points and lose a bit of form...i just hope that this time unlike the last two seasons we dont go downhill faster than a rabbitt on a promise,hold our nerve and have a strong finish

i have a nagging feeling that if we dont do it this time,its gonna take a while to do it.

Another 10 wins would put us on at least 84 points. Surely that is enough to secure second spot. I haven't got time to look over previous seasons but I'm sure some statistician can look back and see how many points are usually needed to gain 2nd spot

M K Dons would only need 7 wins and a couple of draws from their last 15 games to hit 84 points and they are more than capable of that, I reckon they won't be much short of 90 as long as they don't have a slump!

Reckon we would have to win 9 or 10 of the last 14 and I reckon after today's result that it's not going to happen.

There's still 7 teams in the shake up and we have to make sure we're in the playoffs ASAP!!

10 out the next 14 = 84 points. Sheesh that is a tough points total to sneak 6th. Even 81 points for 9 wins is on the high-side (and that assumes we lose all the others).

80 points should do it, so thats 26 points. 7 wins, 5 draws and 2 defeats OR 8 wins, 2 draws and 4 defeats. Doesn't feel that different to current form.

Leeds and Stockport won 'easy' home games, we got an away draw against a team in good form.

I'd say we are in the mix and stand a good chance. Bet Leeds / Tranmere / Huddersfield / Stockport would all swap positions right now.

Minimum points needed for 2nd place:

2007/8 81

2006/7 84

2005/6 77

2004/5 80

2003/4 83

2002/3 84

2001/2 84

Those who actually finshed 2nd usually had more than the minimum.

Remember, though, this season is a real tough one so direct comparison is difficult. For example, last season, Forest who finished second on 82 points only had 56 points at this point in the season, vs. MK Dons already on 61 points today.

Edited by Fyldelatic

10 out the next 14 = 84 points. Sheesh that is a tough points total to sneak 6th. Even 81 points for 9 wins is on the high-side (and that assumes we lose all the others).

80 points should do it, so thats 26 points. 7 wins, 5 draws and 2 defeats OR 8 wins, 2 draws and 4 defeats. Doesn't feel that different to current form.

Leeds and Stockport won 'easy' home games, we got an away draw against a team in good form.

I'd say we are in the mix and stand a good chance. Bet Leeds / Tranmere / Huddersfield / Stockport would all swap positions right now.

Sorry,what I meant was 9 or 10 wins to secure automatic!!

Guest sheridans_world

Minimum Points for Playoffs:

2007/8 - 70

2006/7 - 73

2005/6 - 70

2004/5 - 71

2003/4 - 73

2002/3 - 81

2001/2 - 74

2000/1 - 74

1999/2000 - 81

1998/9 - 76

So we need roughly 75 points, another 21 points.

Automatic is not out of the question, but it does require an improved level of consistency.

Teams do go on good runs, and they must start somewhere. We have not had a winning streak for while so perhaps we are due? 4 wins on the bounce and any team in the play-off spots will be eyeing automatic promotion.

To be honest given the teams in the division (Leicster, Leeds particularly, and MK and P'boro for the money) I'd have been pleased with a play-off berth at the start, and still would be. Yes its a lottery, but its at least 2 big/exciting games plus a chance of going to the new Wembley.

If we keep our current form we should be in the play-offs, would be nice to get the home leg second this time.

Automatic is not out of the question, but it does require an improved level of consistency.

Teams do go on good runs, and they must start somewhere. We have not had a winning streak for while so perhaps we are due? 4 wins on the bounce and any team in the play-off spots will be eyeing automatic promotion.

To be honest given the teams in the division (Leicster, Leeds particularly, and MK and P'boro for the money) I'd have been pleased with a play-off berth at the start, and still would be. Yes its a lottery, but its at least 2 big/exciting games plus a chance of going to the new Wembley.

If we keep our current form we should be in the play-offs, would be nice to get the home leg second this time.

the trouble with going on a run,is you need to win the games and not draw them. we have been on two good runs this season but managed to draw a lot of games,if those draws were converted to wins we would already be in the auto spot.

winning 10 games on the bounce is a very big ask for a team as inconsistant as ours.plus we would need mk to start dropping points regular and the likes of scunny and petebourgh to fall away.

two big exiting games???? a season of hard work and toil will have come down to two must win games,that we dont usually do very well in..then going to wembly in the hope we perform.....and if we lost that one....

anyone wants a day out at wembly book a tour.

the trouble with going on a run,is you need to win the games and not draw them. we have been on two good runs this season but managed to draw a lot of games,if those draws were converted to wins we would already be in the auto spot.

winning 10 games on the bounce is a very big ask for a team as inconsistant as ours.plus we would need mk to start dropping points regular and the likes of scunny and petebourgh to fall away.

two big exiting games???? a season of hard work and toil will have come down to two must win games,that we dont usually do very well in..then going to wembly in the hope we perform.....and if we lost that one....

anyone wants a day out at wembly book a tour.

Agree that a 10 game unbeaten run with 6 draws in it is not that much use - by 'good run' I mean winning 75% of the games e.g. 6WD1L1 from the next 8 games.

As for exciting games and a trip to wembley - for me its occassions like those that are the highlights of watching a football team every week. Tense, nervous? Of course. Certain of success? Nope - and if you did, then they wouldn't be exciting.

Both our trips to the old stadium ended in dissappointment, as did the other 3 semi-finals in the FA Cup at Main Road. Would I preferred to have won? Of course, but I'm still gald I went to those games and enjoyed moments in them that are up there as some of the biggest 'highs' supporting Athletic.

And after the initial dissappointment has passed (IF) we are unsuccessful in this seasons play-offs if we make it, I'll look back with some fond memories (seeing BP full against QPR, the mass of Latics fans at Loftus Road for example).

Of course our Play-off record is not good - but it can only get better right? And they do say its the best way to get promoted.