Season 01/02 9th Feb W2-0 (brighton) Att 6,951 finished 9th

Season 02/03 8th Feb L 0-1 (plymouth) Att 6,657 finished 5th

Season 03/04 21st Feb D 1-1 (tranmere) Att 6,916 finished 15th

Season 04/05 5th Feb L 1-2 (swindon) Att 5,810 finished 19th

Season 05/06 4th Feb L 0-1 (port vale) Att 5,555 finished 10th

Season 06/07 3rd Feb W 1-0 (tranmere) Att 6,944 finished 6th

Season 07/08 9th Feb W 2-0 (gillingham) Att 4,866 finished 8th

Season 08/09 14th Feb W 2-1 (northampton) Att 4,629 At The Mo 5th

Think the 02/03 was the dowie season, and obviously the last 3 have been sheridans

but its funny how the attendance was higher when we finished in the bottom half of the table and how much it has gone down by and there isnt many games where there would be over 1500 away fans just out of the ones ive picked

could it be ppl dont like shez, money, bored of league 1, price increase, credit crunch, loss of jobs

anyone else know out or???

just really puzzles me why its dropped so much and WHY ppl want shez out when its only his 3rd season in managment

Edited by kellysheroes

Have just worked out are average league attendance so far this season as 5615, and thats before the leeds game too.

Would be interesting to see the impact of away followings on our attendances too.

In the dowie season, the following teams brought more than 1000 away fans (i'm sure a few of them brought over 2000 fans)

Wigan

Crewe (as they were high and flying that season)

QPR

Cardiff

Bristol City

Tranmere

Huddersfield

Blackpool

Barnsley

Stockport

Thats round abouts 10 teams, who has brought or will bring more than a thousand this season

Milwall

Leicester

Hudd

Stockport

Carlisle

Leeds

Edited by Lookers_Carl

Season 01/02 9th Feb W2-0 (brighton) Att 6,951 finished 9th

Season 02/03 8th Feb L 0-1 (plymouth) Att 6,657 finished 5th

Season 03/04 21st Feb D 1-1 (tranmere) Att 6,916 finished 15th

Season 04/05 5th Feb L 1-2 (swindon) Att 5,810 finished 19th

Season 05/06 4th Feb L 0-1 (port vale) Att 5,555 finished 10th

Season 06/07 3rd Feb W 1-0 (tranmere) Att 6,944 finished 6th

Season 07/08 9th Feb W 2-0 (gillingham) Att 4,866 finished 8th

Season 08/09 14th Feb W 2-1 (northampton) Att 4,629 At The Mo 5th

Think the 02/03 was the dowie season, and obviously the last 3 have been sheridans

but its funny how the attendance was higher when we finished in the bottom half of the table and how much it has gone down by and there isnt many games where there would be over 1500 away fans just out of the ones ive picked

could it be ppl dont like shez, money, bored of league 1, price increase, credit crunch, loss of jobs

anyone else know out or???

just really puzzles me why its dropped so much and WHY ppl want shez out when its only his 3rd season in managment

Me and my dad were discussing this last night. I believe the biggest affect on our attendances has been City's relocation to Eastlands, Maine Road was at least two buses to get to - a real ball ache. COM is the 82 and a 15-20 minute walk - all mod cons and cheap as chips to get in, yes there's the boredom and the apathetic excuses too - 12 seasons in the same division is pants and the football is poor at the moment. Other reasons have been highlighted such as the cost of what is effectively 3rd division football and the whole matchday experience is not what it was. When I first started going in 1986, Latics was an event, you were hit by a wall of noise and smells that invaded every one of your senses, now it is like going to the library except for the inane drumming (to be fair he is trying to create an atmosphere but flogging a dead horse imho)

Probably the most important factor to me is that the team is no longer personal to me, the personnel changes on an almost weekly basis and although I still feel an obvious affinity to OAFC, many of the players I hate to say I look upon with a sense of apathy. From the 80s up to Ritchie's last full season we pretty much knew what the team would be, no matter how :censored:e the players were they were our players. Now we have a bunch of strangers playing for us that stay around for a year - 2 years if we're lucky.

This is in no way a dig at our bigger squad, we will need the loanees as we enter the run in. What I would like to see is a real settled side at Latics again, one we could trust in and rely on. Unfortunately those days have well passed. We are left with nothing less than a team of mercenaries, it is the way lower league football has gone good luck to the players, they're entitled to earn their living and i'm sure they do not deliberately play badly.

All the above imo can explain why our attendances are so low despite us being in the top 6 all season.

Me and my dad were discussing this last night. I believe the biggest affect on our attendances has been City's relocation to Eastlands, Maine Road was at least two buses to get to - a real ball ache. COM is the 82 and a 15-20 minute walk - all mod cons and cheap as chips to get in, yes there's the boredom and the apathetic excuses too - 12 seasons in the same division is pants and the football is poor at the moment. Other reasons have been highlighted such as the cost of what is effectively 3rd division football and the whole matchday experience is not what it was. When I first started going in 1986, Latics was an event, you were hit by a wall of noise and smells that invaded every one of your senses, now it is like going to the library except for the inane drumming (to be fair he is trying to create an atmosphere but flogging a dead horse imho)

Probably the most important factor to me is that the team is no longer personal to me, the personnel changes on an almost weekly basis and although I still feel an obvious affinity to OAFC, many of the players I hate to say I look upon with a sense of apathy. From the 80s up to Ritchie's last full season we pretty much knew what the team would be, no matter how :censored:e the players were they were our players. Now we have a bunch of strangers playing for us that stay around for a year - 2 years if we're lucky.

This is in no way a dig at our bigger squad, we will need the loanees as we enter the run in. What I would like to see is a real settled side at Latics again, one we could trust in and rely on. Unfortunately those days have well passed. We are left with nothing less than a team of mercenaries, it is the way lower league football has gone good luck to the players, they're entitled to earn their living and i'm sure they do not deliberately play badly.

All the above imo can explain why our attendances are so low despite us being in the top 6 all season.

Exactly right again, Prozac.

I'd add that the fact that attendances were on a par with the present when we were fighting relegation under Ritchie can mostly be put down to the fact that, no matter how far and how fast we had fallen, most diehard fans believed, deep down, that things could only get better...

Since then we've had the modest surge in home attendances due to the renewal of hope during Mr Moore's false dawn. We all know how sick we felt at the end of that fiasco. Crowds held up for a time, though, despite the team struggling, at first out of dogged loyalty, and then, with TTA's takeover, the belief that we were on the up again. The collapse of the best promotion charge we could ever possibly hope for in 2006/7 was, I would say, the final straw for the sceptical Oldham public and a sizeable chunk of the hardcore support which, as several posters have recently pointed out, has started picking and choosing games-when it hasn't given up the ghost altogether, at least for the foreseebale future. Add to this the effects of the recession on an already economically below par town, the deeply damaging apathetic attitude of the council towards the club, the stalling of the stadium redevelopment (for which the council's stalling and general attitude is, in the long run, at least as much to blame as the economic crisis), and the general feeling that only big money clubs ever succeed nowadays anyway, and we begin to understand why gates are dipping towards crisis level.

Edited by Corporal_Jones

I think the biggest factor in the shockingly low attendances is that on a Saturday at 3pm, many many many pubs in Oldham have got United and/or City on live. I know people who "never miss a United game"...and they dont even set foot in Old Trafford all season. A lot of people just arent interested in going to watch a live football game in an actual stadium anymore.